SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyburridge

Help! Custom Range Hood Pro Advice Needed for My Dream Kitchen

nancyburridge
5 years ago

I am nearing the end of a complete remodel of my kitchen. We have waited until almost the end to install our gas range which will operate on propane. We have ordered the correct parts from the manufacturer. I need advice on the range hood dimensions.

The range is 36 inches wide and as recommended we have allowed 48 inch width for the custom hood which will be constructed of 2 x 4's and covered with fireproof wall board which will be painted.

The floor of the hood which will contain the exterior exhaust fan and light and will have a stainless panel facing the burners. The front will have a shallow arch which will be approximately 3 inches below the floor of the hood.

Safety is most important, but I am also trying to achieve a particular design look. The ceiling above the range is a mere 84"H so I have little space to work with. The installed range height will be 34.75" which is the same as my countertops. That leaves me with 49.25" for a safe zone and the hood. The projection of the hood has been recommended to be 22" but my husband thinks 24" would be better. I think this might overpower the space. I would like to have a mantle on the front of the hood. The picture below is similar to what I am trying to achieve on a smaller scale sincethe photo design is obviously a kitchen with much taller ceilings, but the curve of the arch is about right and my mantle would be smaller.

Q. Is it safe to have the top of this arch 24" above the range top which would put the floor at 27"-28"? Should I put ceramic tile on the inside of the arch as further fire-proofing or will painted fireproof board be enough? I really need your help as we are stalled on this project until we get some answers. (Photos above & below)

This photo shows the dropped ceiling which will have wood with crown trim and a light fixture hanging over the island. The backsplash has been painted and is awaiting tile.

This is the style of the range hood I would like although mine will be smaller and more streamlined.

(Houzz photo and inspiration)

Island which is between range and sink.

I am hoping for some advice which will focus on safety while taking my design goal in mind. Thank you for the time you take to respond.

Comments (11)