SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forevernow

What do I need to know about cabinets around a fridge?

forevernow
5 years ago

After what feels like an eternity I think we've finally settled on a layout for are kitchen. It's been such a challenge because there are so many doors and windows there really isn't any obvious place to put the refrigerator. I was playing around in the HomeByMe software and I've finally figured it out. It's not really the best software for really working out the nuts and bolts of a kitchen and there isn't a lot of cabinet options to build with but it was so easy to use I was able to play with a lot of different designs quickly and actually visualize them. I realized that I would rather give up some counter space in order to have the fridge look more integrated and like it belongs where it's at and wasn't just set in some odd spot because its the only place it would go (as it currently is).

Here's what i came up with. I need to start going over it and work out real cabinets/sizes, but I thought I would start with the fridge and surrounding cabinets since it's a big element.

Here's a picture of the space currently:

We've got 66.5" to work with to the right of the window to the wall (68" if we want to cut off the part of the window seal that juts out and just go to the frame.

Here's what I'm thinking:

In this picture the cabinets to the right of the fridge are 18" and the slim one on the left is 6". So with the fridge that's 60". Now I'm assuming you'll need some wiggle room to get the fridge in, and I still need to look up how much space you need if you're building around a regular fridge and not one made to be built in. I could make the cabinets on the right 24" and just put a slim panel on the left to dress it up. Though I could go right up to the window, I don't think I want to. I'd like a little space so the window doesn't feel crowded.

There will be some extra storage in the dining area of the kitchen. It's kind of far so it will be for extra/little used stuff. Thought there is the space by the door, I really want to put a bench and lockers there because the sliding door is the only back door and I deal with a lot of shoes and coats in the kitchen.

Just looking for any advice about the cabinets and fridge area. Thoughts, warnings, etc. Feel free to comment on the general layout though. I welcome any thoughts as I work on the details.

Here's an over view of the space for reference.

TIA!

Comments (17)