SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liane3000

Help! Red Oak Floors & Loba 2k Invisible- stain problems :/

liane3000
5 years ago

I have an 1880s house and I'm refinishing a mixture of red oak and maple floor types on the first floor. Unfortunately, the boards are really thin, like less than a 1/4 inch, so there was one shot at staining. I wanted to avoid oil-based stains and was looking for a low VOC solution. Rubio isn't a good solution because of how thin the floors are, but after scouring this board, and other resources, I settled on just doing a clear coat using Loba 2k Invisible to avoid the fumes that would keep me out of the house for days. The flooring guy I hired on a recommendation, has been difficult, to be polite. He of course wanted to do a dark stain so all the floors 'would blend better', but also admitted the colors would be different in the two rooms with different types of floors anyway, and he has patched some wood, so the colors would be different there as well. Because I needed a fast drying time, and I am very health-conscious, I insisted on only a clear coat, and was fine with just going with light, natural flooring. After sanding, everything looked pristine - white, no blemishes. The contractor didn't schedule his employee for two days to come in for the clear coat. When his guy did come in (drunk), he did one clear coat and buffing. He left at 4:30pm. The next morning, the floors had these yellow stains (below) in various places. The floor *did not* look like this before. The contractor is claiming that my 17lb YorkiPoo, that is potty trained, peed all over the floor, and that's what's causing these marks. However the dog was with me all day. I suppose there's the off chance that he got up in the middle of the night after drinking a tub of water and decided to go to seven different parts of the floor to relieve himself? And the stains weren't visible in the morning when the employee arrived? The contractor tried to scrape/sand the stains out, did a test with one coat of Loba, but they are still there and he wants to know what I want to do. The floors are too thin to re-sand and go darker so are my only choices to replace the floor (which I don't have the money for right now) or live with weird yellow spots everywhere? I'd love an expert opinion on whether this could be dog urine, or some finish-application error. He claims the Loba brought out urine previously on the floor - that wasn't visible before. (Also that dark spot wasn't there previously) Thank you for any advice you can give!

Comments (9)