SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corinne_masterson

What what WHAT kind of table do I put here?

Corinne Masterson
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Behold my sun room. What am I doing wrong?

1. The tree on the left is for my children (see first picture). It has to stay.

2. The mattress for daybed will soon be covered in white canvas. Strewn across the mattress are pillows that I’ll be using to mass produce Christmas presents as they are too small for practical use (oops.)

3. Can both of these side chairs live in the same room? Are they making the place look too much like a Coppertone ad? If one of them were falling off of a cliff, I don’t know which one I would save.

4. I hate the wine chest in the far corner of the photo. I’m slowly phasing it out of my husband’s view until he forgets how much I paid for it and I can dump it.

5. I hate that little side table next to the plantation chair. Too orange. It‘ll soon be joining my wine chest on the island of misfit furniture.

6. What kind of table do you use for a day bed? It’s so low.

7. Look how handsome my little Gussy is!!

Comments (64)

• jpp221
    5 years ago
    PS - and henceforth this room shall be referred to as “the conservatory” rather than a “porch” (the latter sounding so crass, probably a yankee invented that word).
    Corinne Masterson thanked jpp221
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Porch is an ugly word!

So is this one... bench

BENCH.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Yes, settee or banquette sound better, but not sure they include the exact context of a bench. I always think of old men sitting on one in front of the general store and whittling. Search for bench here and you'll see some pretty cool ones.

Corinne Masterson thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    5 years ago
    Corinne, I'll try to answer your question about why I suggested a black metal table with a glass top. Maybe it's because I have one myself :) or because a touch of black seems to look good in almost every room. I think black would make a nice contrast with the natural colors in some of your chairs and furniture and seems to somehow ground things. would only suggest this if it had the glass top--not something massive like a black ottoman. I was also assuming that the brown rectangle on the floor would be covered by an area rug, whether it was Jute or some other natural fiber or something more colorful. Just an idea.
    Corinne Masterson thanked Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

Yes to adding some color and pattern : ) . I think an ottoman, and a jute rug, would work really well here, to add softness (AND color and pattern). I wouldn't get too hung up on height for the ottoman, and you can always add some small side tables.

I think I posted this picture in another one of your threads, Corinne,

Corinne Masterson thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

I'm trying to remember the name of the interior designer who used C-tables from Pier One in an otherwise high-end room.

Aha! Garrow Kedigian.

https://www.pier1.com/end-tables?prefn1=curatedType&icid=5638&prefv1=C-Tables

And I'd pick a slipcovered-to-the-floor ottoman, since the rest of the furniture is so "leggy". You could do something like this Ikea ottoman, and it's not too expensive so you could get a patterned slipcover for it,

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19129121/

• justcallmepool
    5 years ago

I love your room and furniture pieces! and am kind of jealous. I've been wanting one of those plantation chairs and have been told they are uncomfortable to sit in. Are they? They look like they'd be sort of amazing imo.

I definitely think a rug will help. Maybe a large jute type rug with a smaller soft rug over it. 1-2 tall plants like a palm or such will help. I think the blinds, while great, kind of look heavy, so possibly hanging some white sheers over them would soften it up. Then add some color in pillows, rug, maybe art. Bam, you're good to go.

Corinne Masterson thanked justcallmepool
    5 years ago

Btw a Kentia palm (Howea forsteriana) is one of the more forgiving/successful indoor growing palms. They do well with lower light levels, esp in winter.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

I have to admit I basically skimmed the comments and it looks like you've got great advice.

Basically I'm just commenting to tell you that your OP made me laugh out loud so thanks for that. And I can't wait to see this room evolve. Once in a great while a room is posted that I just want to get into literally. This is one such room!

Corinne Masterson thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

On further thought, I do have a suggestion for a "table."

What about a hassock or three? Could group in front of the daybed with a tray for serving coffee, or scatter around the room for extra seating.

The most nomadic Golden Girl of Chelsea · More Info

I chose this photo because it shows the colours I think you need to bring into your room. I would first lay down a jute rug that covers the floor to within a foot or so of the walls, then layer a red oriental over it. Cut some of the brown out!

(Apologies to anyone I am inadvertently parroting...)

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

* Nancy- what about a black steamer trunk? Too big for a black piece?

* Lindsey- Thank you! It’s exciting to have a starting point that has a favorable reception : ). Btw I had to google “Hassock” lol- I do agree these seem to be the #1 choice for daybeds. They look very comfortable! Unfortunately I now have my stubborn brain stuck on the idea of a campaign trunk & have to try it before I will be satisfied with anything else

* Pool- thank you! Yeah it’s kind of uncomfortable- it’s a lot better with a lumbar pillow :D

Bexky- looking up designer now. I see what you’re saying about everything being so leggy. I think I always try to go for the leggy pieces since my most often heard feedback used to be that I pick ”heavy” pieces. Looks like I’ve swung too far in the opposite direction!

5 years ago

You need a mix/balance of leggy and non-leggy/skirted. Too much of one or the other isn't ideal.

A black steamer or campaign trunk could work if you had enough light colored items, or even a shawl, on top in order to make it less black. You get extra points if you already have one and don't need to buy it. Then you can definitely make it work : ) .

5 years ago

Corinne, here is his IG,

https://www.instagram.com/garrowkdesigns/?hl=en

and here's his guest room with 18th century upholstered beds with Pierre Frey fabric and a c-table from Pier One : ) ,

https://www.housebeautiful.com/design-inspiration/house-tours/g3204/garrow-kedigian-montreal-home-tour/?slide=12

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

I love the idea of a steamer trunk. My mom owns one that would be perfect for you lol. She had a piece of tempered glass cut to fit the top to make it flat and more solid; because of the breadth of the sides it has some give that made drinks a little too unstable. I would love it even more with a brass serving tray in place of the glass.

5 years ago

A black steamer or campaign trunk could work if you had enough light colored items, or even a shawl, on top in order to make it less black.

Apologies for quoting my own post but I meant to add this part (multitasking is such a crock lol) -- a large, light-colored tray the same shape and just slightly smaller than the top of the trunk would be great.

5 years ago

Apparently Lindsey and I are on the same tray-on-top wavelength : ) .

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No worries beckysharp I only know how to function as a multitasker- gives me anxiety to focus on one thing at a time. 500 billion chores a day keeps the demons away!

& Lindsay

yass! I will get a black steamer & lighten it with some trays. Jealous that your mom has one. All of my mom’s things are stenciled and/or otherwise not cute.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

My mom has great taste :-)

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    5 years ago
    I think the black steamer trunk could work. Since you said it is a sunroom I was thinking initially about keeping it light and Airy -- that's why I suggested the table with the glass top. However after thinking about it more, I realized that a lot of the furniture is leggy as they say so that would suggest doing something a little more solid for the middle. The only thing I don't like about things like boxes and Trunks is that you can't put your feet under them but if that's not an issue go for it. I'm curious to see what you end up with for the soft items like the daybed pillows and the rug. I don't think you should go with something like an oriental rug. that seems too formal and heavy to me. I think the suggestions about Jute or something else along those lines would be better. Possibly a few terracotta pots for plants would help too.
    Corinne Masterson thanked Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

At one time, I had a daybed on my sunporch. I love the way it looks (it's an antique wrought iron french child's hotel bed), but it's danged uncomfortable, no matter how many pillows are on it. I replace it with a very small loveseat-size sofa which is very comfortable. The daybed now is in my basement near where my computer is. My dogs ADORE sleeping on it with tons of dog beds on top of the crib-size mattress. FINALLY a use for this thing that was purchased in 1962!

Corinne Masterson thanked Anglophilia
  • suezbell
    5 years ago

Nice space.

Chairs will work visually as long as they are comfortable for those that will be sitting in them.

Paint the tiny round side table black and use it as a plant stand (rather than the "upside down basket") for the single potted plant on the right. Then, if the wide end is open, flip that "basket" and fill it w/stuffed animals and/or those white pillows now on the day bed.

Instead of a white canvas cover for the day bed, and since this is a children's room, consider a khaki colored material for the day bed and any cushions/pillows -- will show dirt less and be less of a jarring color contrast.

Corinne Masterson thanked suezbell
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Suzebell- ugh I AM going to paint that little table. I’m glad somebody else suggested that. I felt bad because it is kind of cute- but I can’t with the orange.

You think I should do black instead of white?

Nancy- I think I agree re: the oriental rug. I’m already putting one in my living room. I think I like the idea of our sun room being more casual.

Anglo- Oh I’m sorry to hear that! Yes some daybeds can be terribly uncomfortable. This one isn’t bad. I’d give it 4 stars. From a company called Article. Our cats LOVE it too

• justcallmepool
    5 years ago

I think it’s nice to see some pics of this room in daylight with actual sun. Changes the mood completely!

Corinne Masterson thanked justcallmepool
  • suezbell
    5 years ago

You could paint the tiny orange table any color you like, especially if you were looking for a way to add your favorite bold bright cheerful color to the room. I've found black on small items to be a surprisingly neutral color and would likely do so in your sun room w/its neutral colored tile. A small black item doesn't draw the attention of those entering the room; therefore, it enables other colors you choose to add to the room -- including blooming flowers -- to be the focal points of the room.

If you have an old magazine rack your children might want to use for their coloring books, you could also paint it the same color as the table. Ditto that w/any metal wall hung brackets for hanging baskets of flowers.

with the basic brown furnishings, white would not only show dust/dirt more than black but it would make the table/plant stand more of a focal point of the room than black would. Black, on smaller items, (at least in my experience) tends to make them visually disappear ... as if merely a shadow.

If you use canned spray paint -- such as the RustOleum spray 2x spray paint that will even stick to plastic (which I like) -- do read the label so you know the lowest temperature such spray paint cans work well. Spray paint doesn't apply well in coldest temps.

Any time you use can spray paint, make sure the entire surface you're going to paint is clean and dry so your paint will go on more evenly and be less likely to peel off. Paint a very thin layer and let each layer dry before adding any additional coats of paint (if needed).

Make sure you do your painting outdoors or at least in a well ventilated area (garage w/open door) but preferably with low wind or no wind that could blow the paint where you don't want it (on you) and you end up wasting it.

You could turn the table upside down and paint the underside of the top and the inside of the legs first; then, when that is dry, flip it over and paint the top and the rest of the legs.

Let us know how your table turns out.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

If you can find a thick gel mat for beneath the mattress of your day bed, that could make it more comfortable.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

If you do decide to add more plants, rather than having them become clutter and/or taking up floor space and risk having them knocked over by your children at play, you might consider adding some hanging brackets and flower pots, if not for the winter (if your sun room is unheated), then perhaps next spring. What plants you use would depend upon what works well where you are. The brackets could also be used to hang holiday or seasonal decorations -- any holiday.

In Zone 7, (north Georgia) English ivy survives in winter. I've found liriope can live all winter and, while the greenery of spider plants cannot survive the coldest weather, their roots can, even outdoors ... if I cover them in the thick clear plastic that the big box stores sell for table cloth material.

Brackets outside your windows with bird feeders or wind chimes might be worth considering.

Small interesting stained glass sun catchers hung on the windows with suction cups might be worth a look as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=small+stained+glass+sun+catchers+hung+w/suction+cups&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj7hMzc18jeAhVkkeAKHRQsDMYQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1366&bih=650

• suezbell
    5 years ago

If you put casters/wheels on a flat top trunk or cedar chest or even a wooden foot locker, you can move it around easier -- and you are adding storage as well as a "coffee table".

5 years ago

Corinne, are we talking fur-kids or kid-kids? I've been assuming the former but ?!

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lol. My children.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Suzebell- that makes a lot of sense re: dust showing up on white. I tend to gravitate towards chalk paint anyway so the spray paint shouldn’t be an issue.

A strange phenomenon happens when you purchase land in Jersey. It starts with one or two days of wearing leggings as pants; next thing you know you find yourself actually dressing up to talk on your cell phone in the vitamin aisle at Whole Foods... before you know it, ”Live Laugh Love” is your mantra, you‘ve chalk painted every piece of furniture in your living room & you have a wrist tattoo. In some extreme cases, women have actually purchased picture frames with the word “farmhouse” written in them.

I think it’s the hard water. In any event, I’ll most likely be chalk painting the table.

• krottmann
    5 years ago
    following
    Corinne Masterson thanked krottmann
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok so I was going to wait to take a photo when I had actual daylight and when I wasn’t chalk painting a table with garbage all over the place and “My Strange Addiction” playing on my iPad, but my trunk just arrived & I’m super excited.

Side note: If you’re a frequent user of Facebook market but you’re also lazy & the item you’re purchasing isn’t too big... pay via Venmo & call an uber for it lol

Side side note: If you havent watched “My Strange Addiction”, I strongly recommend it. This guy is in love with his inflatable animal collection & it’s fascinating.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

To be useful I think that trunk will need some legs, or you could wall mount it. Not sure I see how it fits the vibe of the furniture. Every room needs a touch of black though, so now you have it.

Corinne Masterson thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Really, deco? I thought it fit kind of nicely. For whatever my opinion is worth at least lol this certainly isn’t my calling.

Im glad you commented though because I am like inches away from my little jar of black chalk paint. You think painting the little table on the left black is too much?

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

I agree that your room has amazing potential. I kind of like this black and white rug in the room. I think it will play well with your walls, your new trunk and the warmth of the wood.

Simple white panels between each window would soften the look of the room. Then accent pillows with black, white

and green in them.

Corinne Masterson thanked katinparadise
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

❤️Lol kat thank you for keeping my sweet Gus in the picture

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

You're welcome but I can't take credit. Rugs USA has a "See this rug in your room" feature and it literally just slides it under whatever pic you download.

Corinne Masterson thanked katinparadise
  • greenfish1234
    5 years ago

I dont have any advice (yet) but I HEART Gussy!

Corinne Masterson thanked greenfish1234
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you greenfish!! He’s my special boy!

• shelleysmith999
    5 years ago
    Following!
    Corinne Masterson thanked shelleysmith999
  • Denise Marchand
    5 years ago

This is a lovely room! In a small space continuity is important. Before you add or paint anything else, paint the daybed and both chairs a dark brown, British Colonial as mentioned above. This way you can add the color you want here and there.

The table in front of the daybed needs to be higher, like a tea table height. Use the chest on the side.

To make the daybed more comfy, add old fashioned wedge pillows across the back and then the big pillows on top. They are the best support and you won't even see them.

https://www.amazon.com/Bolster-Replacement-Insert-Cushion-Perfect/dp/B011CZWYT6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542001435&sr=8-3&keywords=wedge+daybed+pillow&dpID=41J6VtPqM6L&preST=SY300_QL70&dpSrc=srch

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Denise I could use one of those just to sleep on at night lol

• lindsey_9002
    5 years ago

I just had this daybed delivered to me today, ordered it in august! I haven't even taken it out of the box yet (painter isn't finished). how is it?!

Corinne Masterson thanked lindsey_9002
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lindsey- the Sol daybed?? It’s gorgeous- even moreso in person. The mattress isn’t exactly Beautyrest quality lol but it‘s definitely comfortable- and larger than it seems

• domianj
    5 years ago

Following

• lindsey_9002
    5 years ago

Yep! That's the one, from Article! Oh goodie, I'm excited to get it out, if our painter ever gets around to finishing. By the way, World Market has some sweet bohemian style daybed mattress covers vs the solid color ones. They could add some interest to your room.

Cool Aqua Medallion Printed Christa Mattress Cover

Plum Medallion Printed Christa Mattress Cover

Natural Brown Block Printed Sonya Mattress Cover

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 years ago

following- waiting for the after photos :)

Corinne Masterson thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lindsey- I wish I knew that before! I went on Etsy and had one made : ( - we needed sunbrella fabric anyway because a certain cat named Hobbes keeps having accidents in our house...

• lindsey_9002
    5 years ago

That’s a good idea! I never even thought to have one made on Etsy. You could always cover the sunbrella one with one of the world market ones if you wanted. Some fun pillows would accomplish the same thing, though. And they’d be more visible anyway.

I hear cats using the toilet is a thing...so there’s that.