SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsimber

Arc lamp needs new lamps to coordinate in adjacent living area..

dsimber
5 years ago

I bought an arc lamp for this rental apartment because it has no chandelier in dining area. Now I want to choose lamps for the adjacent living area. I want classic pieces that are quite timeless. Photo suggestions and sources would be very much appreciated.

(Painting in bottom photo has been moved to dining area, shown in first photo.)

Yes, Houzzers, you have probably seen this room before. Lamps have not been updated since I replaced upholstered pieces with a more contemporary style. Now that I’ve found the right-sized arc lamp (at CB2), I can focus on the living area lamps that need to be updated. I like timeless, not trendy.

Question: the new shade on the arc lamp is white...In an open plan, would you suggest that I stay with white if shades are fabric? rather than mixing with off-white. (Black looked stunning in a mock-up by celerygirl, but I need the light I can get from lighter shades.) Maybe one of the lamps can be all metal?

[Note that this is a rented apartment, so I cannot change wall or trim colors, blinds, etc.] I need at least two lamps for this area. Two table lamps, not matching, and one larger than the other because of the size of the tables. One table is dark cherry, approximately 16" round. The other is marble-topped with metal legs, and is approximately 22” square. Designs that are adjustable in height for reading would be ideal. I think it might be quite nice to add a lamp to the sideboard, also. How many different styles of lamps can be in one open room and still be cohesive?

Coming soon: cream/beige drapery panels and area rug, based on planning done this summer, thanks to the help of Houzz contributors.

Comments (138)