SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fasalman

white quartz countertops....turmeric staining.

Fsal
5 years ago
Hello everyone. Ready for some sage advice and tips right about now. Nearing the end of our new build (ha, right!) and at the point of choosing countertops. Kitchen is in, appliances coming in soon, trim is being put up, etc. My designer and I, when we had been choosing tile for the bathrooms had fallen in love with a countertop they had at Ciot, and had decided to go with that countertop material almost six months ago. We planned everything around it, the colors of the cabinets, the look and flow of the kitchen, etc. Well this week the fabricator that’s doing our counters came out and we showed him the counters we had planned on, he took his keys out, and scratched up that counter material pretty quick. Advised strongly against it, and mentioned others who had problems with it. Which of course is great to know before spending the $$ on it, but not exactly great cuz most things were planned around it.

So now we are back to square one of choosing counters. Went to several suppliers in the last three days, picked up plenty of samples of quartz that went well with the white of the cabinets and look of the room. My ethnicity is Indian, and I use a lot of turmeric in my food. So I decided to do a turmeric test not just cuz it’s a highly staining spice, but because I use it practically every other day so it’s a reality of what goes on in my kitchen. Stained all my final quartz samples/contenders, left it for five minutes, and it came off only with an SOS hard sponge thing. Left it on again for about thirty minutes and I’m not able to get the stains off. Tried the SOS sponge, tried Magic Marker, tried an Oxy Clean paste. There’s still a faint yellow color.

So now...is there seriously any white quartz countertop that can hold up to a turmeric stain? This is going to affect my entire kitchen design!!!

I’ve read several other threads on this...and it seems that Silestone white might be a quartz that can handle turmeric stains? Any other choices/advice of what has worked for people?

Comments (418)