SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nj_mom

Premature paint color advice requested...

NJ Mom
5 years ago

I'm almost certainly jumping the gun here, because the work on our house isn't complete yet. But I am a total color dolt (especially with neutrals) and would like some sort of starting point for how to pick a good color for our house. I'm attaching pictures to show the lighting, so I can get some guidance on which shades might work.

As you can see from the pictures, there is not a lot going on color-wise in this house right now. Everything is a dull flat white that's covered in six years of faded baby fingerprints and Magic-Erasered scribble marks. We want to use the same color throughout the house. We're going to use Benjamin Moore paints. I find warm colors comforting and prefer them to cool colors. I HATE gray. DO NOT want it. I'm not a big fan of beige either, but if it's what works, then I'll take it. I would love a nice cream color, but am worried about going too yellow, since our furnishings somehow ended up predominantly blue-ish shades. We're going to have warm/yellow lighting throughout (2700 K; Hubby's big preference, and I can live with it.) We've already (perhaps prematurely?) purchased a gallon of flat BM Simply White for the ceiling and would hate to waste it.

This is the most recent picture of the kitchen I could find (the others are on my phone which died). It has a south-facing window which gets a lot of bright natural light in the winters and somewhat filtered light in the summers. The floors are Red Oak with Provincial stain.

"Before and After"pictures · More Info

This is our backsplash. I know it's busy, but I love it and can't wait to see it on the walls! It's a lot more white than it appears in this picture. The counters are a warm white (Cambria Newport).

"Before" pictures · More Info

The kitchen is now open to the dining room, which once looked like this. The slider to the deck is south facing. The wall between the dining room and kitchen is gone now. We are keeping the furniture.

The dining room connects to the living room, which is mostly the same (except for the darker stained floors) We're keeping the furniture here too. Large picture window, which faces north. The wall between the kitchen and living room is still up. You can see the railing for the foyer/entryway and the hallway to the bedrooms in the background. Hallway will also be painted the same color. Railing will be new as well -- stained wood/iron spindles.

This is the foyer/entryway to downstairs, as seen from the kitchen, with the living room to the right. It will also be painted, and the same color will continue to the downstairs entrance (to the garage and family room).

Comments (25)

• NJ Mom
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I've given up the battle about the yellow light -- I've gotten my way with so many other things that I have to let him win one. Plus the electrician defaults to 2700K, and ordering cooler lights will make this project much longer and more expensive. (I'm the one with the In-law saga. I've been told to relax. I CAN'T MAKE MYSELF RELAX!)

I really like that Pale Oak color! What color would you recommend for the trim? Would SImply White work for the ceiling, or is that almost-gallon of paint a loss?

I'm not opposed to beige and tan shades, but I've been living with a really ugly oppressive pinky-tan color in my kitchen for the past six years, so that's what my mind's eye defaults to. (It's still in my bedroom, but our bedroom furniture is very reddish tones, so it sorta works in there.)

Boob light is going as soon as the electrician gets here. We haven't given serious thought to the door, although it does need attention. It's a standard fiberglass fake wood grain door, I'm thinking we'll paint it something wood-toned?

• Related Discussions

Yellow advice request. BM Hawthorne Yellow or Straw or ???

Q

Comments (10)
    I think your plan to get a sample is good, but if you have a Sherwin Wm.s nearby, you might want to pop for their $5 test quarts instead. They allow you enough paint to pour it into a roller tray and roll a sample on your wall. With yellow, you need to keep in mind that the color will intensify after it's painted on all 4 walls, so you need to go a shade tanner than you might want on the finished product. If you choose something very yellow, your room will be intensely yellow when it's done. I've not seen the BM Straw in person but have read where several have used it and liked it a lot. The Hawthorne I know nothing about. Have you checked the nice thread in the Gallery on yellows and golds? Red
    ...See More

Advice requested - Exterior paint for modern meditteranean stucco home

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks for the comments. goluscombe - You are right - it is something else for sure. Not really this, and not really that. It is a fully custom home in every respect, for better or worse, but it does have some Mediterranean influence I think - but it is surely modern/contemporary. Inside it is clean lines and similar to an art gallery with very large rooms and large walls suited for big pieces of art. Perhaps I should have titled my post differently but I didn't know what to say. We don't want to try and replicate the traditional Spanish style with red tiled roof look as that is not this house and it does have a dimensional asphalt shingle roof in a pewter color. To be fair, I really don't know what we are after but we do want a light color that will go with the dark bronze of the windows and look fresher and more up to date. The existing color is dull and just too "brown" for us. It looks dated and tired to us.
    ...See More

PAINT color suggestions requested..... what compliments this granite?

Q

Comments (1)
    SW Relaxed Khaki. No question.
    ...See More

Color advice requested

Q

Comments (14)
    I don't mind the colour, but I don't love it. It's the sheen that is the worst part though. Agree with many here so far - a flat paint would look best. BUT, if you are repainting anyway for the sheen, would you consider going black? I know it sounds crazy, but it's a non-colour and kind of disappears. If you love your fireplace, the black will really make it stand out. If you don't love your fireplace, then I see the brick being painted. If that is the case, then the brick can go black and the walls in Benjamin Moore's Collingwood.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

I think simply white would be the perfect compliment to it. grab some samples of the Pale Oak, maybe some similar tones (I think Balboa Mist is also a good choice) and maybe the pale aloe color for the kitchen.

I still don't understand why you can't do different bulbs in the kitchen. nothing else needs to change. It's not like you need different wiring for a 4000K bulb! up to you, but I cannot imagine working in my kitchen w/2700K lighting! If my husband or in-law told me to relax about that, I'd hand them the apron and say, "fine, you do all the cooking". (and if they already do, then I guess you can Relax!)

wait for a door color after everything else is in. Black looks great w/Pale Oak and White, so maybe you could go that route. add a matte black pendant light and a black/white entry rug.

• cawaps
    5 years ago

I don't understand the disdain for 2700 K lighting. While I prefer something cooler, the default for incandescent lamps was 2700 K, so pretty much everyone had 2700 K lighting for almost a century until CFLs came along, and since a lot of people hated CFLs, most people still had 2700 K lighting until LEDs started becoming cost effective around 2010. It's hardly something that one can't live with, since everyone obviously did survive the 20th century without going blind or complaining that their light was horribly yellow.

For someone who likes warm colors, you (the OP, that is) have made remarkably consistent choices of cool colors in your furnishings and backsplash. In the face of that contradiction, I'm not going to stick my neck out with recommendations, though I wish you luck. Whatever color you go with will look warmer with the 2700 K lighting than with higher Kelvin alternatives.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

I hate LED. All of it. Every K How's that? : ) I confess. Beat me.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

I agree with Jan. LED is the worst invention since those awful CFL bulbs that everyone went gaga over until they didn't. Now no one uses them.

My husband, who knows nothing about light bulbs, bought them recently. When he put them in he said they made the room look like an operating room. I told him they were LEDs, the newest thing in light bulbs. He removed them and said "I'll put them in the basement and never buy them again."

It will only be a matter of time that they'll be relegated to the same fate as the CFLs.

Thomas Edison is turning in his grave....

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

One more confession. I only use soft pink INCANDESCENT in my own home for all ( portable ) lamps. HORRORS! I get them online, and will continue to do so, until I have used every single one on planet earth. More lashes with the wet noodle and go right ahead. Everyone wants to know why my house looks so nice at night from outside. Answer? Sparkling clean windows and the LIGHT BULBS. Take that !! lol

Energy? Heat? The EARTH? Yeah......look at a curbside on trash day. Count the paper towels and diaper disposal, and even the import junk of all types people buy and then toss in a landfill as the over consumption of this junk prevails in every Home Goods type venue loads it up on the shelves. ..............and remember the biggest issue is probably the government in your face. The same gov. that believed CFL was the magic answer. Lovely if you liked your home dim as a tomb and urine green. More pink please. Hell will rain on me now. Don't care: )

Buy better, buy less, and light your home as you like. Skip the 19.99 lamp at Home Goods as well. Paint your home to look good in daylight, open the curtains and the shades. We still DO have some daylight, do we not? This color "adjusting/ fixing" with K's drives me clear out of my mind.

• tdemonti
    5 years ago

I agree with Beth H. and Jan re the world of LEDs and lighting. Who knew we'd have an entire store and aisles devoted to bulbs.

We just changed 2700 K LEDs in the kitchen to 5000 K and holy cow what a difference.

I have the same exact front door and sidelights.

please add some color.

• J D
    5 years ago

I agree with Beth. Warmer light has been shown to put people to sleep or to relax, so people usually use them elsewhere like the bedroom or living rooms. In kitchens, you want to be more alert and focused than those other areas, and that's what bluer light does (blue light suppresses melatonin). Not to mention LED lamps are much better for the environment. Plus you can get LEDs these days in tons of color temperatures...they aren't just super bright anymore. And they don't flicker like they used to...

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Someone call me when they reproduce the look of a pink 3 way. I won't hang by my phone. I have yet to fall asleep in my kitchen with the cute and warm glow lamp in the counter top corner either, nor the still incandescent recessed above my head. I hope that's not the lighting policeman at my door........: ), it's still pretty early.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

tdemonti, Beth and Jan do not agree--Beth likes LEDs and Jan and I do not.

• J D
    5 years ago

lighting policeman? I'm not trying to be your "lighting policeman," sorry if I offended you somehow. Although I wasn't addressing you...everyone was talking about lighting. I'm simply stating that blue light makes people more alert (studied by psychologists...this wasn't just declared by designers). I'm not saying you will fall over asleep with warm light, just that it doesn't keep you alert like blue light and it is more relaxing. Obviously all of us in iad learned about circadian rhythms in school, so I'm not trying to lecture you on something you already know, just clarifying for the OP who may be confused on what I was saying. Anyways, pretty soon incandescents will be outlawed...it's already started in some states, including mine, because of the extra damage to the environment, so I guess fill up on your lamps now

• NJ Mom
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh dear, I seem to have created a monster! I would have liked cooler lights in the kitchen and the warmer ones everywhere else, but like I said, I can live with the warmer ones. At least there will actually BE light, because I'm slowly but surely winning the battle against leaving the bulbs out of half the the light fixtures. (He likes things dark, I like things bright. Uniform, bright 2700K is better than random pools of darkness for no reason).

But does anyone have any other paint suggestions for me? I get that my whole "I prefer warm colors to cool ones" is confusing since all my furniture is blue. I guess I should have specified that I like warm *neutrals* over cool ones. When it comes to actual color, I like saturated colors of ANY type, as long as it looks good, hence the blue rug and turqouise-y dining chairs. The backsplash has a mix of warm and cool tones in it, which is what I liked about it.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I love LED lighting I also loved halogen I happen to like my colors to look the same at night as they do in the daytime which is what happens with LEDs in the 4000K range.BTW in Canada incandescent and CFL are no longer available and that has been for quite some time already.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

God bless the internet and the multitude of bulbs........still there : ) Light it as you LIKE it. PS I would give up my halogen chairside/desk Holt Kotters $$$$$.....for nothing and nobody. I read.

• cawaps
    5 years ago

NJ Mom, I think it was my comment that got us detoured onto the incandescent/CFL/LED debate, and I apologize.

What about something like BM Fossil?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

whoa...hang on there cowboys. I only mentioned LEDs because that's about all any one does nowadays. AND I also said 4000K in the KITCHEN. cwaps,,,,read again. KITCHEN. you want to cook in the dark? go for it. I don't.

and Jan and others, I also prefer the incandescent pink lights. I stockpiled a bunch of those things before they took them away. that's what I use in my lamps. but the kitchen? LED cool white. yes. and I love that I can see what I'm cooking.

PS,,,Jan,,,,where can you buy more??

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Beth, I'll send you a link! Don't pig out! Lol

• J D
    5 years ago

Online stores cannot deliver most incandescent lamps to California, it's illegal. And soon enough, in 2020, that will be true for the entire country, thank goodness.

• cawaps
    5 years ago

Color temperature is not the same as lumen output. It's not like there weren't super bright 2700 K incandescent lamps back in the day (back when we actually used "Watts" as a metric for brightness you could get 100 W or even 150 W incandescent lamps that were still--you guessed it---2700 K, and you could install multiple lamps for even more light!). But again, I digress.

• J D
    5 years ago

hi cawaps...if you are referring to anything I said, by bright i meant bright blue or white light. I wasn't talking about how much light is given off. but you may be addressing someone else. Also you're right, we totally went on a digression lol...I just think beth really nailed it on the head with the paint colors in the kitchen. "Quiet Moments" will be beautiful, but I wouldn't go any darker or it will be too dark IMO, with the wood cabinets

• J D
    5 years ago

have you considered moving the wires for the "boob" light into the foyer area? so that when you walk in you can have a beautiful chandelier that you see? also you may consider carrying the blue from the kitchen walls into the far wall in the dining room, since it's going to be open.

NJ Mom thanked J D
  • cawaps
    5 years ago

JD, that post was in response to Beth's comment about not wanting to work in the dark. She seems to be conflating color temperature with lumen output. I don't disagree with your comments that cooler lamps are more stimulating. After experimenting with cooler LEDs in my living room, I found that I was staying up later and having a hard time falling asleep, and ended up going back to warmer (but equally bright!) lamps. I'm not lobbying for warmer lamps (for the OP or anyone else), but since the OP was set in her choice to satisfy her husband's preferences, I didn't think that inaccurate characterizations of warmer lamps as being "dark" was terribly helpful.

• NJ Mom
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I went to the store today to pick up some swatches to look at, and wouldn't you know it, they didn't have any swatches for "Pale Oak"! Must be a popular color! But I DID see that the Pale Oak color was very similar to the one we have chosen for the downstairs bathroom, "Wind's Breath". It matches our tile perfectly, but I don't know how well a similar color would translate to the whole house.

I did like Navajo White and Frappe. Frappe also seems quite similar to Wind's Breath, but much warmer. But I don't know anything about "undertones", or anything like that.

• NJ Mom
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@JD, we're replacing the boob light with a pendant on a chain, so we will be able to hang it low enough to light the foyer as well as the stairwell.

We don't want the kitchen wall to be a different color than the rest of the rooms. The dining room wall is the same as the living room wall, for instance, and the light on that side of the house is too cool for blue walls, etc. etc.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida