SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rwbil

Swimming Pool Leaking

rwbil
5 years ago

My pool is leaking water, so I dropped the water below the skimmer and grouted and caulked anything that looked like a crack. I then brought the water level up in the pool to it was just about 1/4" or so above the skimmer to just let water in the skimmer.

I then did the bucket test as shown in the picture. I tried this for a few days. With this setup the water level in the pool would drop about 1/8" lower than the water level in the bucket in 24 hours with the pump fully running. I had the valve to the skimmer turned off as shown in the photo, therefore the pump was set to only pull water from the main drain. Of course that valve is at the pump so you still have the piping to the skimmer if it had a leak.

Then I drained the water to just below the skimmer. And did the same test for 2 days. In a 2 day period the water in the pool was about 1/8" below the bucket or leaking about 1/16" a day.

I should also add that one of the return line has air bubbles as shown in the photo so air is getting in somewhere. You probably will have to zoom in the photo to see the air bubble. Of course air could be sucked in on the suction side at the pump basket or filter and not mean it there is water leaking out.

Also I don't see any water leaking at the pump or from anything else by the pump / filter area.

First, I am not sure how accurate the bucket test is. After all the water in the bucket is surrounding by plastic and maybe heats up different and has a different evaporation rate.

Question 1) If the water level in the pool is less than the water level bucket water by 1/16" to 1/8" per day is that something to be concerned about?

Question 2) What should I do next? BTW I have not had much luck in using the dye to find anything.

I have ordered some plugs for the return lines and skimmers. I was thinking about pressure testing all the lines.

Comments (3)