SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caseybauer

Insulating under deep, heated basement slab: rockwool vs EPS, & depth?

caseyb
5 years ago

I wonder if anyone here has insulated a basement slab with Rockwool or similar. I believe the product we are looking at is the Comfortboard 80. (I prefer to limit our use of foam products.) Our basement slab will be about 10.5' to 11' below grade, in well-drained soil, zone 4/5(?) in Eastern Mass. Right now we have a gravel bed, and are planning to lay down a taped poly barrier, then insulation, then a 4" slab with hydronic radiant heating embedded. The walls will be insulated with R19 Rockwool batts, plus a smart vapor barrier taped to the poly. I am aware of the cost difference between the Rockwool and EPS foam board insulation, but am unsure about any differences in ease of installation, or how easily they can be damaged at the perimeter thermal break.

I am also uncertain as how many inches to put down under the slab. Our slab will be very deep in dry soil, and we plan to include a thermal break between the slab and the footing. The discussions and advice I have been finding online have been contradictory. 2" seems to be the standard, some people say perimeter only/none, and I am considering going to 3" or even 3.5".

If you have some personal experience with installing mineral wool under a slab, or educated opinion about the amount of insulation (inches/R) to instal at this basement depth, I would LOVE to hear from you! Thank you in advance.

Casey

Comments (7)