SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pagan_

Haworthians Page 10

Pagan
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Haworthia 阿房宮x大明鏡 , from the bench of ewwmayo

Continued from [Page 9[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/haworthians-page-9-dsvw-vd~5375449?n=319)

Comments (209)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    5 years ago

For those of you on FB, you might consider following Diederik Van den Abbeele - a Haworthian of the first order. He's got this in Belgium (all limifolia) and the best habitat photos, too.

• Related Discussions

• Charline X
    5 years ago

Eww, thanks for sharing!

I read that the lines might get developed later on. Not sure if it will. I am new to maughanii since last November. Still learning.

• Charline X
    5 years ago

I saw images of Purple Lens on the internet. Love the colors.

• Charline X
    5 years ago

Biker, yours looks like mine when I just got them.

You and Eww both have nice collections!

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Two of my favorite seedlings.

• Daniel Haworthia Lover WI
    5 years ago

Are these Gasteria

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Daniel, these are very plump Haworthias under a good amount of light and pretty cool temps, in the 50s this winter in my basement. I know you're very familiar with what seedlings look like, so I thought I'd explain why I would guess they may look like this. The second one should be H. esterhuizenii x badia. The other is a cross from another source. I'm assuming they also look weird because they don't have rosettes yet--just Gasteria-like opposing leaves for now.

• ewwmayo
    5 years ago

I wish my seedlings looked that plump and good, haha.

At least I am having good luck with offsets this winter. Many growing in at the base or between leaves, how about you all?

And a few others for show. =)

• Gabby C (FL 9A)
    5 years ago

So pretty as always Kevin :)

Not much luck for me with growth I was such a bad plant mother I didn't touch mine for over a month. The blurple lights might have been a little strong but everyone went outside two weeks ago and are looking plump and healthy again. Here are some neglect photos I took before they went out.

the color sure is nice...

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    5 years ago

Nice, Nil

• Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
    5 years ago

'Vector'

'Tsukikage'

'Hakua'

'Yukiguni'

'Shiko'

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    5 years ago

Shawn, you’ve got the green thumb. Nice growing.

5 years ago

This giant retusa is going a little pup crazy. Which is great because a rat ate half the other one I have last year and it is going to take a while to recover.

Thanks Howard.

5 years ago

The Haworthia reef is coming along.

• Gabby C (FL 9A)
    5 years ago

Nil I am so jealous you can plant in the ground! Looks really cool seeing haws and gasteria el natural.

• ewwmayo
    5 years ago

It's Sunday!! Good day for shiny Haworthia:

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    5 years ago

Nice!!!

5 years ago

Kalos

Matrix

Aboukyuu

• ewwmayo
    5 years ago

Aboukyu is such a fantastic hybrid.

• Lisa M
    5 years ago

It’s a little blurry but does anyone know this Haworthias name? The last one sold at my nursery and they didnt know the name but I really want one.

• ewwmayo
    5 years ago

Lisa - Is it a pygmaea? Hard to say which exactly.

Brendan - Here is my latest rooting mix. Pumice with some akadama and sand. I don't water my seedlings enough and this helps.

Howard has a great compot mix/method for rooting Haworthia. Think he shared it in the past.

Can we call today Truncata Thursday? I haven't seen enough!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    5 years ago

Since Kevin has been so kind to invite me, this is where I start all my new plants and/or seedlings w/o roots.

I like truncata Thursday.

• Nick S
    5 years ago

Mayo, that reddish Maarten looks so magical *_* the tips look like nebulas. mesmerizing!

The one that started it all my favorite haworthia retusa *_* it always looks so plump and juicy after a good watering lol!

In contrast to the retusa this truncata just refuses to produce pups! How often do you guys fertilize your haworthias? might that encourage more pupping? i cant remember the last time i fertilized my collection ... oops

I still dont know the species of this one but i really like the light green color.

this one is also a mystery but it turns a very pretty dark red when its sunny and i dont water for a while

• ewwmayo
    5 years ago

Nick - That a nice retusa clump! Mine is in a state of collapsing... trying to get it to root again and start thriving again. Your middle Haworthia is doing very well, I like that one.

Not sure what the last one is either - I've seen hybrids kind of similar but forget what they were called. Seems like it could turn a nice dark reddish tone.

Howard - Nice showing! 4th truncata photo with the greenish inner leaf patterns is really interesting. Which one is that? I also see your last one has an co-habitant! Haha.

This morning I spent some time cleaning up dead roots on some of my Haworthia. Some big dead roots and they are holding the plants back. Need to get on that maintenance.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    5 years ago

4 and 5 are two of my original Serling attempts at crossing truncata. I’ve sold off most of them. Thanks.

5 years ago

Had some time to play around with my dissecting scope today. Unfortunately the cell phone adapter for the eyepiece is sized for my compound microscope not this one. So I had to just wing it. But here are a couple pics of the working parts of a Haw flower.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    5 years ago

Wow!!!! TFS.

5 years ago

My finest tweezers look like pliers at 20x and you really don't want to see your horticulturist fingernails at 20x. Haha. But it sure makes it easy to see the stigma and whether you got a good pollen coating when you're rubbing the anther on it.

Does anyone have a list of which Haws can or can't be crossed with which? Also, does anyone know the parentage of 'Black Rain'? (Looks like it's a splendens)

• Gabby C (FL 9A)
    5 years ago

That's really nice Nil, I got a compound scope for Christmas but have not played with it much :( you might inspire me to get my plants under it. I know people learn from their own plants what crosses but I never found a solid list, I looked haha.

• ewwmayo
    5 years ago

Cool photos!! Can you post a photo of your microscope? I'd love to see it.

For my microbiologist friend's microscope, I found using my phone handheld isn't so bad. I used manual focus and manual exposure in the camera app. A good holder would be nice for consistency.

• Paul MI
    5 years ago

That's a lot of Haw-age!

• Pagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I really like that Vector over there. I'm going to go check on my haworthias----moment of truth! What does neglect really do lol Fingers crossed.

BBL with photos!

• ewwmayo
    4 years ago

Hope your plants are doing well, Pagan!

Some of mine were in dire need of repotting. Mushy roots and dead ones that needed cleaning up. Here is one of my finished trays, at least 4 more to do tomorrow.

Finally I have dared to attempt to remove this offset from the center of my Abouyku:

It is done! Wasn't bad actually. Letting it dry for a few days. =)

• gdinieontarioz5
    4 years ago

Daring move, Kevin. That Abouyku is a beauty! Tray looks good, very ‘clean’.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here goes...

This is the worst-looking tray. Not so bad for barely getting any water during winter, even if they were sort of warm (16C-ish average, about 10C at night).

Closer inspection:

I was having a hard time turning this one. Apparently, you have to blast it with blurple and not water it while it is cold. Haworthia reticulata var. hurlingii (GM 407) AL

My two Vectors, reacting differently to identical conditions. No clue why.

This pot below got zero water, under fluorescent lights (not blurple)

Finally, my oldest haworthia (H. venosa var tessellata). That dead-looking one is the first plant of the cluster. I should probably remove it but it's making me sentimental.

Bonus pic, I think it's that Crassula mesembrywhatevs. I didn't think it would survive, but being ignored is apparently the secret.

• Gabby C (FL 9A)
    4 years ago

Nice pagan I really like that reticulata. The blurple lights can really get color going I was surprised.

semiviva

I am super happy with this guy (below), it was a random cheapo I got in 2017 and it's stayed compact while growing and i love its blueish color! any ideas on parentage?

my bonus pic

I am sharing my space with a white-winged dove this spring.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Gabby, just a random guess: pygmaea. It has the leaf shape and roughness typical of this species.

4 years ago

Quick question, 10 seeds for ten dollars or 2.5 plant for 10 dollars, they will be very similar.

• Jeff (5b)
    4 years ago

You've grown a ton from seed, right? But I'll list my pros and cons, even if you already know them. Hope I'm understanding what you're asking.

Pros for seeds: Fun to grow and watch; they can acclimate to your conditions throughout their early life; you can see how they respond to changing conditions early on and know them well; inexpensive way to get more plants, obviously

Cons for seeds: They take forever to grow up--three years at least; you may lose some or all, if the majority even germinate, which depends on freshness and quality

• Paul MI
    4 years ago

Add the additional Con that -- in the case of hybrids -- if you are hoping for something really special, the odds are most (or even all) will not be.

4 years ago

Thanks guys, my beard is getting long waiting for 3+ years of growth. I think a few nice plants that may flower in a year makes more sense at this time.

4 years ago

Oh dear it's time for the Huntington Spring Plant Sale.

H. retusa var. acuminata
    H. 'Kareidosukopu'

H. Silver Mutica

H. 'Madonna'

H. 'Snow Ball'

H. viscosa 'varigated'
    H. pumila

H. 'Princess Kazunomiya'
    H. 'Sonata'
    H. emelyae v. picta x magnifica v. splendens

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    4 years ago

Shawn, great display. Names? I wish I could join you. Best I can do is wait until June and get in early for the ISI offerings.

4 years ago

I was working on the names. If I switch back and forth too much sometimes Houzz goes a little crazy. So I just load up the images straight away and then edit in the names

4 years ago

Most of the really good ones are ones that Tom from Skyview Succulents brings.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Attention Haworthians: I've been wanting to start a new spring thread (Haworthians Page 11). But if I keep waiting for the sun to come out, it will take another two weeks (according to NOOA) for me to take some decent close-up photos. Someone please send me a nice photo!

Email to tatamaan.ka at geemail dot com. We prefer current photos (i.e. not taken six years ago), with no part of the plant cropped off the frame, in focus, well-lit and with ID.

Sorry to inflict this on you guys. But the northeast is under some serious weather gloom at the mo. And, yeah, I just realized how nitpicky I've become about the first-post photo. Definitely getting old.

TIA!

• Pagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so very much, doc! Moving this to the next page now. [Spring pics on Page 11![(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/haworthians-page-11-dsvw-vd~5684526)