SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knittingmolly

OVERWHELMED by window options--please HELP!

Molly Bell
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello - We are preparing to update a 1950s sunroom by (in part) replacing all windows. Concurrently, we're building a bedroom addition just adjacent to the sunroom which will need matching new windows. Over time, we will replace all the 1980s-era white vinyl windows in our home to match these new windows. I need some guidance from those who really understand the window market AND/OR from satisfied consumers who have also done their research.

Here's a little information about our circumstances:

• We live in Albuquerque, which is a high desert climate, and has fairly extreme swings in temperature (in a single day, it could be 15 degrees F at night and rise to 80-90 in the daytime--our summers are consistently in the 90s...and, usually briefly-- over 100 degrees). And it's DRY here.
  • We have 1940s pueblo revival, stuccoed home, with a flat roof.
  • I hate vinyl windows
  • Aesthetically, I am open to a few options: black interior & exterior with divided lights would be most similar to the steel casement windows my 1940s home originally had and I love that look. Also, I like wide open, narrow-framed windows for maximum views. What I HATE are the big, fat white vinyl frames our home currently has. Pictures attached below.
  • I have a fairly limited budget, however, beautiful windows are a priority, so I will spend more there than on other parts of our renovation.

I've looked at fiberglass (both Marvin Integrity and Milgard Ultra series), Aluminum-clad wood (Semco and Sierra Pacific), pure (thermally broken) aluminum, and composite windows.

I like the look (narrow frames) and price of the pure aluminum, but I'm hearing from local distributors that they are NOT a good choice for my climate. By contrast, I've read some places that they are fine--it's possible that I'm operating from wishful thinking here! Are there any exceptionally good thermally-broken aluminum windows out there that would be fine in the high desert? Please set me straight.

I also like the look of aluminum-clad wood, but they're expensive and I'm TOTALLY overwhelmed by all the brands/choices. I want GREAT value and an excellent warranty. Can anyone advise me about which manufacturers to consider?

And lastly, composite windows seem like they COULD, possibly offer me more of what I'm looking for (efficiency, good price, better looks than vinyl) but I've seen a lot of horrible reviews on here about them. Are there any good composite choices out there?

Here are a few numbers I've been quoted (as examples):

• 30x60 casement - Marvin Integrity $639, Semco $870
  • Single glass patio door - Marvin Integrity $2017, Semco $2336

I'd like to hear if these are in line with what I should expect. In other words, will prices vary significantly distributor to distributor?

For those of you who have opinions about what would work best in our home aesthetically, I've attached photos of: 1. two images of the front of our home, with it's white vinyl windows. 2. an inside view of the vinyl. 3. the ONE original steel casement that still lives in our home.

Please help! I would sincerely appreciate a road map that will help focus my search...the options are endless.

Thanks!!

Comments (29)