SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathiwiederhold

Keeping clean unglazed porcelain floor tile that is not white

kathiwiederhold
5 years ago

We are taking out a white 1" Dal Tile unglazed porcelain hex floor that we installed in our kitchen about 30 years ago. It has been nothing but a cleaning nightmare, as I (and others) previously posted on https://www.houzz.com/discussions/keeping-unglazed-hex-tile-clean-dsvw-vd~2278062 My question--can anybody comment on their experience cleaning and maintaining a historically correct (rectified), dark colored, unglazed porcelain floor? I would love to hear about your experience, positive or negative. I want an easier to maintain tile that still looks appropriate in our 1926 colonial bungalow. I love the look of unglazed porcelain but do not want another floor that requires scrubbing with cleanser to get it clean. I am wondering a dark colored unglazed porcelain tile with a flat, smoother surface (e.g. Heritage Tile) would be easier to clean. The cleaning/maintenance info on Restoration Tile's website (they make a tile similar to Heritage) recommends adding impregnating sealer to the rinse water with regular cleaning to restore the sealer and speed the development of a patina--does anyone have any experience with doing that? Thanks to all for any helpful advice, I would appreciate it.

Comments (2)