SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piepss

Which roof would you chose for this 91 yr old Norman cottage?

Sally Piepmeier
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

This NE Evanston, IL house is 91 yrs old, w cedar shakes put directly on rafters, no plywood on a 3- gabled T-shaped roof. I am looking at Tamko Woodgate Black Sage and CertainTeed Moire Black ... but though my cedar is black in many places, I worry that these are too dark. Having trouble finding a dark grey though. Historic Preservation people will accept arch. shingles but say should look like aged cedar, not newer brown-toned cedar. The house's dark brown/white trim is as it was 91 years ago, with black wrought iron galleries and carriage door hinges on garage.. The vintage wooden garage doors on the back side of the house are automatic now, but are rigged to still open carriage style, with long black carriage door hinges.

The cedar roofing lasts longer on my house than it does when put on top of plywood, but gets tons of moss in my area, even after just a few years, and even the company which installed the last cedar roof now recommends arch. shingles.

Below are photos taken from the various company's online aps which show house with Black Sage, Moire Black and Owens Corning Estate Grey (which is also possible, but the Woodgate andCertainteed shingles shown seem to "feel" more subtle in coloration, like cedar shakes which weather more naturally.) Wish I could find a subtle dark grey. Any ideas? or experience with similar challenges?

Tamko Woodgate Black sage

Certainteed Moire Black

Owens Corning Estate Gray

Comments (38)

Sponsored