FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

FALL is upon us... "seasonal thread"... PART 2

With 400 comments in other FALL thread I thought it was time to start a new FALL thread! lol

Have fun everyone! Post photos or discuss whatever! :-)

Comments (197)

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    3 years ago

Great pictures Jim! I'll bet our kitties would get along, they all look like they enjoy a good nap!

Thanks Ann for the nice comments. How lovely to grow up in Hawaii, what a special place! My husband does a lot of work travel there, so he often picks up for me those little plumeria sticks in the airport and we stick them in the ground and they do actually grow! I was skeptical at first, but am so pleased that they grow with very little care here. The scent is so wonderful.

• Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

Wow Tiff! I didn’t know the plumeria sticks worked! I used to make plumeria leis when we had school programs and take anthuriums to school for my teachers. My grandma who took care of me while my parents were at work grew lots of flowers so I know exactly where my interest in plants comes from!

Ann

• Related Discussions

FALL is upon us... "seasonal thread"... PART 3

Q

Comments (179)
    Nice pic titian1! It snowed a bit here last night...windy and cold today...Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Nanadoll, I hope your doing ok... Please let us know when you get the chance... The Bloomstrucks have been crushed with snow & ice...
    ...See More

FALL is here! Seasonal thread part 1

Q

Comments (157)
    Diane, looks like Houzz let Joey post a pic, but I'll try, too. These are for testing purposes only because you've seen them. We may lose the red maple. It's a mere shadow of itself this year. The arborist said he doesn't think it's pests or diseased, and we should wait a year before having it removed. I would miss it as it's the better of the two, but, on the other hand, removal would make it possible to grow something in the front. I love it in the winter the most. Joey, that's not just a dusting! That's a good snowfall. Do you do anything to protect your roses? Geeze, April seems so far away. I'm adding the Queen to my spring list. I'd never given it a thought until I saw yours and read your recommendation. Can't pass up on a rose that beautiful and that hardy. Kristine, I've had roses do that because of snow, never rain. I'm so sorry. Beverly was one of your most gorgeous, but Marc C will be a beautiful replacement.
    ...See More

FALL is here! Seasonal thread part 3

Q

Comments (130)
    Lisa, your Flamingo Garden's Tea is the epitome of a tea rose and I am captivated. I hope all those buds remain intact through the high winds. Gorgeous with Pomponella peeking through. Your bouquet may not be what you had in mind, but it is lovely and I wouldn't change a thing. I will be looking for a Cherry Caramel phlox! Love it! Sara Ann, what pretty grands you have. The grown up girl on the right in the 2nd pic must be the little girl in the first photo? And, the boy on the left must also be on the left in the 2nd pic? I can't decide which of the two young boys the little cutie blondie is. Mine are all girls except 1 grandson. We have photos of him and my dad, his great grand dad, sitting side by side on the porch, each wearing one of dad's hats from when he was tiny through his 20's, the last one taken just before my dad passed away. Those photos are so precious. Diane, you are always so complimentary. I could post a photo of dirt and you would find something nice to say about it. Those roses are Rosarium Uetersen, Quietness and Florentina, all in their shrunken, cold weather glory. Hope you put an extra blanket on the bed. We are both scheduled to get down to 14˚ tonight. I'm still doing the compost sling, too. Hope to wrap it up this week. It's too cold to stay outside for long.
    ...See More

FALL is here! Seasonal thread part 4

Q

Comments (168)
    My wife was put back on her original med for migranes she took for years...So no new meds. She did not come home until today so things not going very well here... I'm totally baffled but I'm during ok under the circumstances! Thanks for the concerns everyone! And I enjoyed everyones photos! Always enjoy that part of our seasonal threads! Hey I'm going start a new fresh thread... NEW THREAD LINK BELOW: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5823412/fall-is-here-seasonal-thread-part-5
    ...See More
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

Jim, and everyone, I appreciate your good thoughts and concern about me. I am very slowly getting better, but I keep having relapses, and am just exhausted. I was so upset to not be able to vote yesterday--still too sick. I should have voted early. I love all your photos above. My "latest" photos from just before I got sick are still on the memory card. I long to go outside, but about a week ago went outside (and paid for it the next day) to cut a beautiful bouquet of last roses, and it's still sitting, moldering on my dresser. They were so big and beautiful, and I can't throw them away. Tonight it will get down to 25F with a few more days of these lows. A big, nasty cold front is bearing down on this area from the east (like Montana is east, not Pennsylvania, Jim. Your from the far east--ha). The kitties are wonderful, even the Halloween decorations--what a hilarious photo. Jim, your cats look so good. All your care of Cagney a while back paid off. I'm sorry about those darn fall colors not showing up. Another strange trick from Mom Nature.

I want to return to make some comments on your gorgeous blooms. My goodness, that salvia, Burgundy Seduction is gorgeous, Kristine. Diane

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

Aww, Dude is such a handsome fella and Nina is very pretty, looking as if her companions are quite normal. I can't show Daisy, or she'll want some too. Hello Cagney and Lacey. Always a treat to see you two.

Tried to do some garden clean up this afternoon but couldn't stand the 38˚ F, so only lasted about an hour, mostly because my feet were wet. Had to relocate a couple of meadow rue plants, and at least got that done. We're getting so much sunshine, it looks warmer than it is. We'd normally have snow by now.

How special growing up in Hawaii, Ann. Haven't been in years, but used to go with my husband, who also had a few jobs there, so I tagged along. Was like seeing color for the first time. Everything was so vivid.

3 years ago

Diane!! It did my heart good to see your post. Keep taking good care of yourself, obey your dr., and continue getting better. You are missed here.

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    3 years ago
    Glad to hear you are feeling better Diane! I'm sorry this has been a rough one. Take care out there!
  • Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

Diane - I‘m so glad to hear you‘re feeling better! Please take care of yourself. We miss you!

Ann

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Diane, last year I was sick for 12 weeks. I didnt think that I would ever get better. So, I feel your pain

I tried everything, even onions in my socks. Just take it slow because it does seem like it rebounds. I finally got a sinus spray at the heslth food store that helped, or, did it ? It had been 3 months so it could have been winding down anyway. But you begin to feel like you will never get better. You will, just take care of yourself

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Great to see you post Nanadoll! I hope you continue to move forward with feeling better!

I just looked at our extended weather forecast Nanadoll, and I see low to mid 20's coming for a few days...

I heard on the radio the other day that we got more rain here than anywhere in the United States this year...We even beat Seattle Washington...lol

• titian1 10b Sydney
    3 years ago

Diane, it's a relief to see you post. I hope your family are giving you lots of TLC. It's awful to be that sick. And I second flowers' advice.

• dianela7bnorthal
    3 years ago

Diane, I am so glad you are feeling better. I just found this post after searching through all my notifications looking to find anything from you. Stay warm and get better. We are all praying for your fast recovery.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

Thank you all, Dianela, Trish, Kristine, Jim, Ann, flowers, Tiff, Lisa, and anyone I have missed listing, so very much. It helps to read your kind words. I'm still recovering, so my posts won't be much.

I am very concerned about those facing the California fires. I just read that flowers has family in the Thousand Oaks' hills, and they are ready to evacuate if needed. They are all still reeling over the horrible shootings in TO. Flowers, I hope so much your family stays safe. Keep us informed, please. I'm thinking of you at this time.

Again, thank you all for being such caring friends. I sometimes wish we all were living closer together.

Diane

3 years ago

Yes, Diane, a gardener's commune. Or, at least all in the same neighborhood so we could visit each other's gardens and help each other out when needed for big chores. No one appreciates the work and love and dedication that goes into growing roses more than other people who grow roses.

I am still shoveling manure and ran out. So, while my husband was out this morning, I texted him to stop by HD or Lowes for more. When he got home, he said, "The things I do for you and your garden! People were staring at me loading bags of manure in my car during a snow storm". Sunshine is forecast for the next 8 days, so this snow won't stick. I wish I could send some down to the fire areas in CA.

My kids are ok. They just sent a pic of one of their favorite hiking trails near Malibu, now devoid of all vegetation. All of Malibu is evacuated, the ocean is the containment line. There are a lot of burned houses in their neighborhood and some areas burned right up to the fences, where homes were saved. Gives me a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes to know how close they were, but at the same time, a grateful heart that they are safe. We were in similar situations when we lived in Porter Ranch in the foot hills of Northridge. That's just an accepted way of life in dry areas and the price you pay for the great climate. Seems like they get worse every year, because it is drier every year.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

Flowers, I'm so glad your kids are OK, but it's hard to believe what a close call this was--how were they spared? That is beyond belief when their own neighborhood has suffered such damage. I also am stunned about the "storied" Malibu, home of the rich and famous. Could you post a photo of the burned trail area, and any others you might want to share? I hope your family continues to stay safe.

You are shoveling manure, flowers? I'm actually jealous as all get out because I'm too sick to do the same thing. Compost and manure await me in the garage. I have loaded up manure and compost many a time, clear into January, and I get some weird looks (the store help actually loads the stuff into my car). Anyway, I just hate this forced rest...hate it, hate it. I did have a nice evening with family and feel pretty good--as you can tell from my nasty attitude about rest. I am so "sick" of rest.

It's colder than all get out at night now, but a few stalwart roses are hanging on (the ones I can see from windows, since I can't go out yet). Julia Child just won't give up, I see. Ebb Tide bought the big one when it got down to 21F last night. I know there are others, and I hope to check briefly tomorrow. More low twenties coming up, then a slight warm up when the wretched cold front moves on.

A gardener's commune would be fabulous. I would stagger out, fall to my knees (the only good thing left on my body), and start planting--ha. It would be neat to share the big tasks, and make everyone's burden lighter.

I'm going to slowly post a few photos in the next day or so. My granddaughter Clare got my photo file in order, and the last photos I took just over a week ago (and got sick again the next day) are now fit to post, I guess. Clare has her own apartment near campus now. I don't see her as often, and I miss her all the time.

Stay safe, everyone. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

I'm back--the bouquets were the very last ones I was able to make. The blooms were nothing short of humongous. The larger purple bloom is Young Lycidas which opened out into 7 inches wide, and Golden Celebration was equally large. Augusta Luise is in there, too. The lavender bouquet is Love Song. It's still on my desk, looking a lot worse for the wear. I kept the other bouquet till it about disintegrated. The three fall photos I took were on the only day when I've been outside, and of course, paid for it. The second photo was taken from our house balcony. You can see my ancient rattan rocker out by the flower bed. It was the day the goldfinch hopped up my leg--sigh.

None of this holds a candle to Trish's jacaranda tree, which is nothing short of magical. I am so impressed with her garden, and that she has 95 blasted steps to go up and down to do her gardening. Australians are tough! I love the wallflowers, too, Trish, and want to grow them. Your roses--everything--are wonderful. Diane

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

What lovely photos Diane. We are so glad to hear from you. I love your terrain with those rolling hills. I hope you can get back to your manure shoveling. We gardeners can have so much fun with the simple things.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    3 years ago

Sheila, I had to laugh over your comment. I spent half the morning on my knees digging out clover and tiny onion weeds (so tiny they wouldn't have thousands of bulblets that would surely fall off) and many other sorts of weeds from a bed. But I felt so satisfied! Of course in a few years I'll be too old and decrepit (or worse!) to do it, and it will be a weedy mess.

flowers, you must be so relieved to hear that your son and family are safe. So sad about the devastation.

Diane, it is so good to have you posting again. You must be feeling somewhat better.... A gardener's commune - wouldn't that be wonderful. Or how lovely it would be if we could drop in on each other for a stroll round the garden and a cuppa. At least we have here. Your rocker looks to me like a stylised statue of a goat! I had a nana nap on my banana chair this afternoon, under the lemon tree - which still has stink bugs, despite my spraying with pyrethrum and oil. Wonderful photos of the Fall colours and those hills. I'm glad you got to enjoy some of the last of your roses. 7"! And don't give me that c@$p about my garden being better than yours!

Original Author
    3 years ago

This says it all...lol.... Blustery here...lol

Thoughts and prayers go out to California!

• dianela7bnorthal
    3 years ago

Diane glad to have you posting again =). Your blooms looks so beautiful. I have never been to Idaho before and your pictures are making me want to visit. That is a very beautiful landscape you posted. I hope you get well enough to get in the garden soon. You mentioned loading manure into January before. This is likely a very silly question but, is it OK to spread manure during the winter months or do I have to wait until spring? We are getting into the 20s at night, but it is clear during the day and I might be willing to start dumping some manure around to get a head start for next year while I still can get outside.

Trish I agree with Diane, you are very tough indeed. Those steps are no joke and If I would have had half the injuries you have acquired over the years, I would have made a ramp and started sliding down until I got the bottom of the garden.

Jim that looks very cold =(. I hope your winter is a short one this year. The first time I saw snow I was 26 and it looked very magical. I lived in Cuba until I was 15 and then Miami until I moved to TN for medical school in my 20s. After a few weeks of snow, I decided a few times a year was more than enough for me. I am a complete snow coward.

• dianela7bnorthal
    3 years ago

My last Roses before the freeze. Mostly Moonstone, Darcey and Charlotte with a bit of dark desire, queen of Sweden and some lavender rose. Oh there is a lonely Carding Mill also.

3 years ago

The more I think about it, a gardener's commune is sounding good. We could all go shovel manure on Diane's roses while she's down, and it wouldn't take but a few minutes with all of us helping. Diane, I am jealous of yours and Trish's good knees. Even thinking about getting on my knees makes me hurt. Can't believe you still have roses! Those colors are so good together. And, your fall color outdid mine by a long shot. I thought exactly the same thing as Trish about your rocker. Great minds.....

Jim, our snow looks about like yours. Just enough to remind us of what's to come. It should all be gone by tomorrow so I can finish up some jobs out there.

Dianela, your bouquets must light up your house. The yellows are so vivid and they all go beautifully together.

My kids say the fires are all south of them now, and I pray it's not near any of you. They say it's just terribly hard to breathe. Back in 1980, when Mt. St. Helens in WA erupted, we were covered in white ashes and black soot way down in So. CA. and the sky stayed dark for days. I think it blew all the way to some states in the midwest. I hope all the ashes and soot from these fires will be blown out to sea so people won't have to breathe it. My son said "I don't know where else this fire can go. It's already in Malibu. I guess Hawaii?" The people are planning something special for the firefighters, they are so grateful. Not a single home was lost in my son's immediate area with flames lapping all around them.

He sent this video from a TV newscast of a woman trying to get out when flames engulfed her car. She's safe. You may have all already seen it. It illustrates how fast those flames can move.

https-//abc7.com/video-woman-drives-through-flames-to-flee-malibu-wildfire/4657381/

Original Author
    3 years ago

Awesome bouquets dianela~

• dianela7bnorthal
    3 years ago

wow flowersaremusic I had not seen this video. How terrifying to have to go through that. My prayers are with everyone in those areas. I Hope those fires stop soon. Those firefighters are true heroes. It is amazing how they risk their lives to protect others, and do so for as for long as it takes to keep everyone safe. It is so gratifying to see how there are so many good people in the world to balance the bad ones.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

Flowers, what kind thoughts. I would love to have all of you here. Then when I feel better, it would be my turn to help out. My photos were taken about 8 days ago when I went outside and shouldn't have. I doubt now there are any blooms unfrozen, except for the Julia Child blooms at the very top of the plants. I still haven't checked though, but we

have had at least 2-3 lows at night from 21-25F. This will continue for a couple of more days. Then it actually warms up to just above freezing for the lows. Phooey. I agree that the fall colors are so rich, plus the poor plants seem to know it's their last hurrah.... I am so glad things are getting better for your family, and I hope it continues that way. I watched that horrendous video--how could she see to drive in that conflagration? Pure hell on earth. I don't think we got that kind of ash in 1980--the winds must have blown across the panhandle, or straight south to California.

Jim, snow, oh no. Too soon. Too soon for flowers, too.

Dianela, my gosh, those are stunning bouquets--and so many blooms. They look perfect. Those yellows knock my house slippers off. Thank you for thinking about me--it really helps to know all of you are "out there". I'll bet the weather isn't too bad yet in Alabama, or am I wrong? You have a longer season than flowers and I do. Even Jim is a little south of here, latitude wise. How do you find time to grow such beautiful roses? I so admire that--wise use of time.

Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

Dianela, Darn it--I'm not seeing your posts here. They send the notice, but when I come here--no post from you. This is the second time today. I do see your beautiful bouquets, though. Houzz is still a mess, I guess. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

OK, that last post just showed up but I'm still missing one. Diane

• dianela7bnorthal
    3 years ago

Hell Diane,

I agree Houzz is a mess. I some times find posts from a few days earlier that I could swear simply weren’t there before. Thank you for your comments. I planted my yellow roses after seeing your magnificent yellow roses =), so appreciate your compliments very much. I do spend the majority of my weekends at home working in the garden, probably should do more house cleaning, but instead I choose to garden lol. My husband is a kind man and he helps me a lot also. The weather here is just going bellow freezing for the first time this year. Fortunately it usually doesn’t get bad. Whenever it snows none of us knows what to do and the roads are a mess.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

I hope everyone is home relaxing, and families are safe. I will assume that no news is good news. For the first time since the emergency room trip, I left the house today, and went grocery shopping with my daughter. Spent a fortune, but survived quite well. It was so wonderful to get outside, but I had an overview of the front yard as we backed out the driveway--ghastly garden! So much to do.

The next photos were taken anywhere from last week to last month. I hope I'm not reposting anything. This is the last gasp from my garden, and poor Julia looks sort of pale and worn out compared to Dianela's gorgeous yellow bouquet.

Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

3 years ago

Doesn't it feel good to get out after being cooped up, especially after not feeling well. It's also a good feeling to have the cupboards full.

I like the looks of your paler than usual Julia with a tinge of pink. I bought Climbing Moonlight because it has just that coloring. I'm guessing the deep, rich purple that looks fabulous against the porch railing, is Twilight Zone? Mine got darker as it got colder, too. Same with Plum Perfect. I don't have Ebb Tide. A new rose that keeps wanting to bloom, but buds won't open is Royal Jubilee. I think if she were older, she just might be able to bloom.

I'm so glad you're feeling more like yourself, Diane. Don't over do it!!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    3 years ago

We had our 1st snow storm yesterday! Here are some snow pics from I-90:

By the time I got to the country, all my rose trees were frozen, the pots froze to the deck! Moved 38 potted rose trees in the garage today after temp warmed up to 40F, will move in 36 more tomorrow. Next week the lowest temp will be 22F! Have to save the trees before the deep drop!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

Thanks, flowers. Yes, it does feel good to get out. And eat all the treats I bought. Deli dinner of bucket (not just for me--ha) of hot, spicy chicken strips and potato wedges. Salads. Cookies! Anyway, my appetite is pretty good.....I like Julia in all her forms, and the way she hangs on to her blooms to the bitter end. The huge dark buds with all the reddish tones are Golden Celebration. That purple rose is Ebb Tide, which is just as dark as TZ in the fall, as is Wild Blue Yonder. I love them this color. These roses get darker as they mature, too. Do you have any photos of your Plum Perfect? I'd love to see them. I hope I thanked you for posting all those hydrangea photos a while back. They were stunning, and I still remember them with extreme jealousy--hee. Thanks for your good thoughts. Don't worry--I know how to be lazy. I read. Just finished The Husband's Secret, by Liane Moriarty, an Australian. She wrote Big Little Lies. So entertaining. I'll send them in a bit to you. I needed sheer distraction, and that's what these books deliver. I hope your family is still all safe. I keep reading the incredibly depressing news about the fires. I just hate it. Diane

3 years ago

Oh yes! Definitely must keep a good supply of snacks on hand. For anyone who loves popsicles as I do, I just discovered frozen pineapple chunks. They're icy like a good popsicle, not hard like ice cubes. Your bucket of hot and spicy chicken strips and potato wedges make me hungry. Bet we could eat a bucket between us.

I can hardly believe that deep purple bloom is Ebb Tide. I always think of it as a dusky purple. I forget how dark yours is. The only photos i have of Plum Perfect are old ones, so you may recognize them. I do love that rose. It definitely has more of an old rose color, but I still think of it in the purple category. It suffers in the heat as these pics illustrate - fewer petals and duller color when it was super hot.

In triple digit heat.

After it cooled down to the 90s and 80s.

• jwusauk
    3 years ago

I just have to share with you guys what Kashmir looks like in Boston in 27 degree weather. Every other deciduous plant in our yard is shutting down including the roses, of course. Therese Bugnet is completely naked, for example. The Flower Carpets and The Fairy are still blooming but spotting, yellowing, and losing leaves. Whereas the yellow leaves here are from the surrounding trees! Kashmir is worth getting for the foliage alone, in my opinion. Can’t wait to see how it does over the winter.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Flowers, your plum perfect is such a gorgeous color, especially considering that that picture is in the heat.

Jwusauk, I cant get over how perfect your Kashmir still looks

How tall is it supposed to get? Is it new this year?

Original Author
    3 years ago

Looking good jwusauk!

We had our first snow storm the other day also... Cool pics summersrhythm!

Nice Plum Perfect blooms flowers! Hope our grows and blooms better next year... So far disappointed with PP in our climate...

Wonderful photos Nanadoll! I hope your feeling better!

Ok the first day of winter is December 21st... So I'm thinking about starting another fresh FALL THREAD right now and that will take us right into winter...I think I will...lol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

Jim, you have restless thread syndrome. I will go along with whatever you suggest. You have pulled this thread through some pretty thin times on the forum--I'm still missing so many members, which I fear will never return thanks to Houzz. I'll trade you our 20F low last night for your snow. More twenties coming up, and the roses are toast. Thanks for you thanks, Jim.

Hi Kristine. I want your weather. Wish I could see your place for a little lift.

Jwus, I've never heard of Kashmir, but yours sure looks good. Once the blooms are gone, my roses still hang on and look pretty good. Green is good. It just encourages the deer, though.....Is this your first time posting here?--welcome, if you are new. I love Boston, and it will be great reading how things are going in your garden.

Flowers, thanks so much for posting those beautiful photos. I think Plum Perfect looks as good in the heat as the cooler weather. That's a good sign. No burnt up edges on the petals. I grew Heirloom for a while, and in triple digit heat, that thing would have dried up, brown petals for blooms. For me good heat performance is as essential as cold tolerance.....Yes, lots of snacks mean something to look forward to. I can't seem to eat a lot at a time, but I eat at a lot of times.

Trish, where are you? I got a kick out of my "stylized goat sculpture" of a rocking chair. Maybe it looks that way because an old goat rocks in it. I guess that pejorative refers to old men. Equal pejoratives for all, I say. I think the shadow made the chair look that way. Sadly, the chair has been moved out of the weather, and will be resting for the winter. I hope you got those wretched onion weeds removed. I am so glad my garden doesn't have them. Not sure if they even grow in this area.

Diane

Original Author
    3 years ago

I figure a new thread is easier to follow...lol

OK new thread has been started:

New thread see you all there!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/fall-is-upon-us-seasonal-thread-part-3-dsvw-vd~5537163

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

Dianela, your missing post just showed up in my inbox, and now I can see it way up the thread. I don't think anyone had seen it because it didn't have any likes. Gack. It's a wonder anyone posts on Houzz. In this post, you mentioned living in Cuba. Is your name, Dianela, a Cuban name? Years ago, we had a Brazilian family next door in grad student housing, and the little girl, who was a friend of my daughter's, had a name very much like yours. Of course, their first language was Portuguese. Except for a day around Christmas, I hate snow. Rain would be much more acceptable, and we don't get much of either here. We are still stuck at 8.5 inches of any kind of wet for the year. I'd like a little more than that. See you on the new thread. Diane

• dianela7bnorthal
    3 years ago

Hello Diane :),

of course I ended up replying on the old thread. Having a bit of difficulty catching up today.

It is very interesting to learn about the little girl with a similar name. As it turns out one day while my mom was trying to find me a name a friend of the family showed up and said “I have been reading a Brazilian novel and the main character’s name is Dianela”. According to my mom I “jumped” and she decided I liked the name lol. It isn’t a common Cuban name as most people my generation have Russian inspired names like Yuniesky or Yadira ( all kinds of Soviet Union connections back in those days, they even taught Russian as a second language and English was forbidden ). If you see a Hispanic person with a name starting on Y like that he/she is likely Cuban. Now I wonder if my name is a common Brazilian name.

Do you get 8.5 inches of snow or rain? You have some the most amazing roses ever, how much do you have to water?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

Hi Dianela,

I knew it! The Dianela we knew spelled her name like you do. My daughter and this girl were inseparable. The Brazilian family was so nice, but I don't see how the husband ever attained his degree. While I flogged away at studying every night, they had parties to all hours, and poor little Dianela was late to school every day! Samantha, my daughter, said Dianela had no bedtime and stayed up as late as she wanted. These girls were third graders. However, the parents were incredibly nice, and sent over plates of food for me because I could never attend their parties (too much studying). I remember the food seemed a lot like Cuban food--doesn't make sense, though. Anyway, I'm so glad you didn't end up with a Russian name because Dianela is a beautiful name. Your English is incredible--unbelievable because your had no opportunity to learn it in school until your midteens. By the way, your post about living in Cuba is missing again (for me, anyway). I wanted to read it again, and it's gone! Did you say you lived in Florida, too? I also wanted to tell you that's is good to put on manure or compost during the winter so it can very slowly break down into a form that plants can use. I love the idea of getting this chore out of the way, but this year it may not happen. Our 8.5 inches includes snow, sleet, rain, and farmers' spit (sorry--that's a stale joke). Having a drip system is essential. I have both drip emitters and tiny sprinklers so everything gets watered, not just roses and shrubs. I water several times a week, deeply, when it's hot. And your roses are pretty gorgeous for sure. Diane

3 years ago

Well, I decided I needed to scroll up and see if I could find Dianela's post, too. Sure enough, I'd missed it, but it was there about an hour ago. Who knows what Houzz is doing! I think they're playing mind games with us. Dianela is a very beautiful name. You and your mother made a good choice.

You can take whatever Diane says about manure to the bank. She knows. Just look at her roses! I was out spreading manure this afternoon until my hands froze and most of the manure in the wheelbarrow was frozen, too. I pushed it into the garage so it would be thawed tomorrow. I hope. I couldn't water it in, so will have to wait for rain. The surface of the ground is frozen anyway.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

Flowers, I never water manure or compost in. The hoses are disconnected, anyway (20F last night). We're running way colder this year than last. I hope this doesn't mean a repeat of the hideous winter of two years ago. I've just got to get Augusta Luise winterized. I think Julia's blooms finally bit the dust. I'm still in no shape to go out "manuring". Diane

3 years ago

Our dear Diane. I would be there in a heartbeat if I could. I'm getting this manure shoveling down pat. I'm glad to hear it doesn't have to be watered in. My roses were all hydrated real well before it got this cold. You're about same temp as here!

You must be in the same pickle I'm in with no young boys nearby willing to earn a few dollars to do jobs like that. They're all either too young or too old around here. Our winter is forecast to be a very wet one. I hope that doesn't mean a lot of ice, but it probably does. I don't mind snow, but ice scares me. I hope your temps just mean you're getting your cold early, and not an indication of a hard winter. Can't take those every year.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Is this raw manure or composted that you guys are using?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    3 years ago

Flowers, my grands could help, but they won't. Clare lives near campus, and I don't expect her to come here for manuring. You know, I wouldn't trust young boys to do this job.

Vapor, I use compost with lots of goodies in it, including chicken manure; the manure I use is composted steer manure, not raw. It has some wood fines in it, and is dirt cheap, but good quality. The fancier compost is much more expensive, and I'm more stingy with it. Diane

• dianela7bnorthal
    3 years ago

Diane,

Thank you for your nice comment. I love love the English language ( all languages really). It has been such a wonderful thing to be able to learn to communicate in English. I am going to take some time to post today as I am just on call at work and studying coagulation. It is good to have some days to just seat and catch up with my studies. I have heard path boards are brutal.

My parents came to the US when I was 7. Since the political climate in Cuba is so tense it took several years for the legal paperwork to go through, and I was able to come here to start high school at 15. It sure was a shock when a week later my mom dropped me off at a over 3k student school in Miami, Florida. I still remember my first classroom number (245), because I had to ask a girl on the hallway how to get there. Of course I found one of the very few kids in the school who wasn’t bilingual so she couldn’t understand me. I knew how to count to 10 so I tried again ( two, four, fife “with an f” ;) and she kindly showed me the way. Those were interesting times to say the least. My mom who was a hairstylist at the time, drove me to school every day, then went to work until 2. Then took me home and returned to work.This is some feat in Miami traffic. My dad took care of taking me to Saturdays extra English and reading lessons as well. My parents wanted me to attend a good school with lots of advanced classes, and they made a huge sacrifice so I could have all the opportunities only this country offers. I am so grateful to them for supporting me.

I feel so bad about your poor little Dianela now. I hope she ended up doing well in school even after all of those set backs. Having parents that care is such a critical thing for children of any age. I am glad she had your daughter as a friend to positively influence her. I understand you so much, as a young 20 something my friends would call me at 11pm when they were heading to the nightclubs in Miami and be surprised I was at the cadaver lab studying. They didn’t understand if I wanted to pass those Monday exams I couldn’t spend the weekend dancing.

Well that was a very long winded post to answer your question lol. Yes I lived in Florida Miami and Fortmyers until I went to TN for medical school. Met my now husband during med school and it seems North Alabama will be our forever home. I am enjoying learning all the southern ways now.

Thank you for telling me about the manure. I am going to try and spread some over the winter in my beds. That will make me feel like I am doing something to prepare for next spring. I wish we were closer so I could go help you with yours and see your garden in person.

• dianela7bnorthal
    3 years ago

Thank you flowers :). I am going to follow Diane’s advice to the teeth.

I apologize Jim for keep using the old thread here with Diane. I felt bad writing long personal stuff on your beautiful new garden thread.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County