SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

My rant - why is the government now prescribing for doctors?

Oakley
5 years ago

Lynn, I hope you can chime in along with others in the medical field. I'd sure like to know what your DH thinks.

This is for "controlled" medicines. Come November 1st there are stricter rules on what doctors can or cannot prescribe. It will affect me and now I don't know what to do. Not sure if it's only in Oklahoma.

I have a prescription for xanax which I take maybe twice a week, low dose. The doctor can tell how many I take because my prescriptions last much longer before the next refill.

Every three months I see the doctor which is required for a xanax prescription, whether I need more or not, and for maintenance checkups.

About every 4 or 5 months the doctor will give me twelve Norco's for my thumb and hand. That's a drop in the bucket. I don't want to do surgery unless I'm screaming in pain 24/7. :)

All ibuprofen meds are out, they gave me a bad ulcer about 5 years ago and thankfully it's healed. There's another med and I can't remember the name, which makes my mouth feel like I've been eating metal. Disgusting. Can't take codeine either.

Tylenol works for normal pain, but the bad pain days which is today, it does nothing.

Because of the new laws going into effect a doctor can no longer prescribe both xanax and a controlled pain med. Only 12 pills that lasts 4-5 months!

Just what is a person supposed to do? Doctor shop? Go to a pain clinic for such few pills? Please, no lectures on overdoses, I'm fully aware of them.

What I think the government doesn't understand is us Baby Boomers have gotten OLD and are in pain, and there are many many of us. The biggest generation ever. That's why more pain meds are prescribed than ever before. Are they aware of this? Said with tongue in cheek.

Have you been in this situation?

Comments (34)