SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

stainless steel vs glass vs ??? easy to clean backsplash

Peke
5 years ago

I have medium oak cabinets with Sea Pearl countertops and an oak floor. The fabricator screwed up my Sea Pearl so he had to get an additional slab to redo the perimeter counter around the sink, but not the countertop to the right of the rangetop. I had an identical slab reserved, but the fabricator chose to buy a cheaper slab that didn't match my original slab. He saw nothing wrong with the two different colors, two different textures, and two different sheens. I finally gave up. Now I have to work with what I have. So on the left of the rangetop going past the sink (largest part) is the new slab which doesn't match the right side of the stove (about 30" section).

I have given up finding a tile that matches both the Sea Pearl slabs. Plus, I really don't want grout lines or any more pattern added. The oak and Sea Pearl has plenty of patterns already. I want an easy to clean backsplash, and the only two I can think of are glass panels and stainless steel. I have 9 stainless steel appliances. Will there be too much stainless steel? This is a country lake house with an open kitchen/living/dining room. The kitchen is about 14 x 24, but the total open space is about 56 x 32. All cabinet pulls, sinks, faucets, ceiling fans, and door knobs are nickel or stainless steel.

Does anyone have any other solid, no grout, backsplash ideas?

Does the glass have to be backpainted or do I just paint the wall? It has not been textured.

My Blue Star rangetop is pulled out 3" from the wall. The vent hood is 6" wider than the rangetop?

If I use glass behind it, will it work? Does it have to be a special heat proof glass. The BS is a really hot rangetop.

Newest slab (above) has almost a yellowish gray color and no texture, It is honed.

Old slab (below) is in the corner on the right side of the rangetop, and it matches the 8 x 4 island. The old slab is more grayish green/blue. This slab has actual texture...ridges and grooves and it is leathered.

In the picture above, you can see the rangetop is fulled away from the wall, and you can see the uneven and unlevel seam of the Sea Pearl "36" bar that goes behind the rangetop. I had planned to put stainless steel from the rangetop, over the top of that 3" section of quartzite, up the wall to the stainless steel vent hood. Then tile everywhere else, but that is just too much motion. Too many lines. Too much grout..... So now I am thinking of glass or stainless steel for the entire backsplash.

Another problem...I don't think shiny glass will look right with the honed/leathered quartzite. Can the glass panel have a matte surface? Would that defeat the purpose of being easy clean?

I've been trying to figure this out for several years. Tile is out...that much I know. If a tile matches the left side of the new slab, it doesn't match the old slab on the right.

With this problem and my American Range problems, it makes me want to give up and paint the backsplash. Then again, we can't get a paint color to work on both sides of the rangetop either!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comment (1)