SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcbroe511

Refinishing bookcases and creating a library/lounge and dining room

NE Broe
5 years ago

I want to make this room, adjacent to our formal dining room into a welcoming place for reading and conversation. I want to amp up the masculine vibe a bit and add seating for two or three more people. I recently bought these 9 ft high, 4 ft wide, 2 ft deep cabinets and am thinking of painting them white to give them a built-in look that coordinates with the room's existing woodwork. The house is a Victorian with original windows, wood floors, etc. I bought this lounge chair but other than that everything in the room is just stuff stuck in there when we moved in a few months ago. The rug shown is 8 x 10 and I want to replace it with a 9 x 12. I'm thinking just a plain tan jute, probably.

This room used to be the dining room and the current dining room was a living room. We had coordinating Claire chandeliers from Ballard Designs installed in both rooms and I recently had the dining room ceiling painted Sherwin William's Marea blue. I love the rich deep colors of the DR rug and yet also don't want everything too dark or old fashioned. So I'm looking for ways to tie the rooms together and to balance heirloom items and newer pieces. My first task will be to paint the library cabinets to get books, albums, etc. out of boxes. And I think these pieces could play an important role in tying the rooms together and drawing people from one to the other.

Comments (41)