SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yoyobon_gw

OT.........is this Australian ?

yoyobon_gw
5 years ago

While watching a PBS Knitting & Crochet program I noticed that the expert in crochet kept pronouncing it CRO-CHUR instead of CR0-SHAY .

She had an accent which sounded like she was Australian, perhaps.

Is this regional or was it just her ?

Comments (6)

• vee_new
    5 years ago

yoyo, over here (England) we say Cro-Shay as you wrote so can't help you further.

• annpanagain
    5 years ago

I have heard it pronounced both ways by people in Australia. I think the "shay" sounds more French so wouldn't be used by everyone. Like "Valet" which seems to get the "t" sounded sometimes.

• Kath
    5 years ago

Yes, absolutely! Although I would be more likely to say it in the past tense - 'I croshurred that rug.' I would, for instance, call the books at work 'croshay' books.

• annpanagain
    5 years ago

Thinking it over, I am sure my English grandmother would refer to croshurring something. It slips off the tongue more easily, perhaps.

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

And the emphasis was on the the first syllable : CRO-chur.

Whereas we say cro-SHAY

Perhaps there was an aversion to sounding too French ....or simply another version of the word, such as valet. In the US many who are unfamiliar with the French pronunciation will say " va-let" like wallet.

There are other words like foyer ( should we say " foy-yay" or "foy-yer" ) .

However, with those words I am aware of what is being said. CRO-chur is just foreign to my ear and my internal editor wants to correct it.

My favorite mispronunciation was in a bar and grill where I overheard the woman in the booth behind us exclaim " Oh look ! They have Jah-LAH-pen-oh Poppers ! "

• msmeow
    5 years ago

Funny, Bon!

My DH likes to say I’m being crotchety when I’m doing crochet. :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!