SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_82658788788

HELP! Do I repaint the cabinets or do I paint the all doors and trim?

Kristen Branscum
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have a HUGE DILEMMA! We bought our house a year old, so I did not pick the finishes in this house nor do I agree with some of the previous owners choices. So I am changing what I can to make it what I want or at least make it work because it doesn't right now. I have a very open concept the kitchen flows into the living room and breakfast nook. The granite is black tan granite and the back splash is a greige marble. I have builder grade flat creamy beige walls and ceilings with white trim and doors. I like the backsplash by itself but NOT with this granite, the cherry cabinets, wood tile floor that does NOT have any red undertones. The floors and the cabinets clash given the tones of wood. In my master bath the shower is done in this same marble and I noticed yesterday that next to the white shower ledge it pulls out the greys in the marble. However, I have VERY LITTLE back splash in my kitchen.

My plan was to paint the cabinets, walls and ceiling for something that worked better. I would like grey walls and white ceilings. My original color scheme was cabinets-SW Antique White, Walls- SW Amazing Grey, and Ceiling SW Alabaster. I have started with the cabinets and I think the Antique White is showing too much yellow and are really clashing with my woodwork. I have only painted the cabinets, not the cabinet doors or drawers. Before I (by that I mean my dad) continue I need to decide if I should just repaint the cabinets now before going anything further or should I have the woodwork painted. I wanted a neutral grey palate more than a really warm grey but I am up to adjusting that to make it work. I don't want to/will not paint my walls a brown or beige of any kind. We moved from a very beige house that I wanted to paint the entire time we lived there and never did and really don't want to do back to that.

What is the best way/most affordable way to fix my problem? Please excuse the mess we are trying to live in this chaos!

Comments (16)