SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tootsie5c

Accent in backsplash above stove or not?

Alicia
5 years ago

We're completing a large kitchen remodel and coming up on tiling. We are doing a plain white subway tile with dark grout. We are trying to decide if we want to do an accent above the stove or if we should keep it consistent. Are accents outdated? I love metallic accents and thought about maybe doing a metallic subway tile accent, but I'm having trouble finding anything but stainless subway tile. Our hardware is going to be a champagne gold as well as our pot filler and faucet. The stove is a 36" Thermador and stainless. The countertops are Namibian White marble (and get installed tomorrow! Yay!). I will add current photos below. Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (52)

• User
    5 years ago
    I would stick with just the white subway tile. I’d be afraid that an accent tile above the stove would take away from the gold hardware and blue cabinets.
  • damiarain
    5 years ago

Gorgeous color on your cabinets! What is your countertop? I would forgo the accent above the stove and (depending on the counter) use a light grey grout that gives just a bit of outline to the tiles without being too stark

Hope you’ll keep us posted and share the final kitchen!

• Related Discussions

Kitchen backsplash accent piece made from flashing?

Q

Comments (0)
    I really like subway tile, and I really like tin backsplash too. I almost used a few of those thermoplastic stick-on faux tin pieces behind the stove, but came to my senses. We're putting subway tiles under all the cabinets. But I want an accent behind the stove, and haven't found any decorative tin panels that are quite right. We're fairly crafty, and I was wondering if it's possible to create our own embossed metal panel out of a wide sheet of aluminum house flashing. I'd like a design featuring a tree and rising sun. Is it a "thing" to use flashing for this purpose?
    ...See More

Back splash disaster above stove

Q

Comments (15)
    Stainless the entire section over the range or replace the entire wall.. And call the idiots who "helped "you determine how much material you needed to do the task at hand. If you purchased from a slab yard, and were armed with a kitchen plan and elevation, and all dimensions? I would make them pay. There is ZERO excuse to discover this at INSTALL. Repeat ZERO.
    ...See More

kitchen backsplash and picture frame above stove under hood

Q

Comments (9)
    eam44, with respect, I would never wear a Chanel suit because that just isn't me, never has been, never will be. I do, however, wear my Gap jeans almost daily, and have for decades : ) ...And that is why I changed my mind about not doing a 'feature' above my range... I saw a gorgeous tile feature that I loved, perfect coloring, and it was 'me'. The feature tile is fussy, it sits inside an inset, which is arched, and we have a deck-mount pot-filler which is offset to the inset. And our granite is busy. Way out of trend, very dated, and utterly gorgeous in my eyes. I cannot wait to have the backsplash installed now. Prior, after endless seas of plain jane subway (and our backsplash will have subway tile, BTW), I was lukewarm to despondent over the backsplash choices I had seen. meluky, if staying on trend is important to you (and that's fine if it is), don't put one in. If, however, it would make you smile every time you walked into your kitchen, and you didn't plan to sell your home in the next year or so, put one in. I agree with Momofthree Ma, "Do what you love".
    ...See More

Backsplash accent help

Q

Comments (17)
    I think maybe skip the accent. I agree that a creamy white tiles would be better than bright white but a lot depends on the white in the counter. So, best to wait until counters are in to pick the tile. I think your cabinets and floor need a warmer countertop (calacatta gold like?)
    ...See More
  • simplechoices
    5 years ago

Gorgeous! And I do think a patterned tile or something iridescent through the entire backsplash could make it even more spectacular. Post more pics when done!

• Alicia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @damiarain thank you! Our countertop is Namibian White Marble. Mostly white with very subtle warm grey tones. Here’s the slabs (under shop/warehouse lighting obviously). They are installed tomorrow, will update with photos after!
  • chispa
    5 years ago

You took a big step away from the white/gray cabinet trend ... now take that leap away from the white subway!

I don't know what your counters look like, but here are some bolder kitchens ... white subway isn't the only option! Be brave, take that leap!

Capital Hill Transformation · More Info

Tashmoo Cottage · More Info

New Construction Kitchen · More Info

Harvey Jones - Shaker Kitchens · More Info

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Horton Road · More Info

Kitchen and Breakfast Nook · More Info

Los Feliz Colorful Kitchen Renovation · More Info

New York Residence · More Info

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

Yes, please! ^^^^^^^^

• Alicia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Chispa see above for photos of the countertop material. I totally get what you're saying, and those kitchens look amazing. But I'm nervous! The kitchen is also larger than the photos I posted. I worry that with the cabinet color, anything else will looks too overwhelming. I LOVE the look of wallpaper, but worry about cleaning. Maybe I'm just a wimp :-(

• Fsal
    5 years ago
    Totally agree. No subway tile please!
  • rantontoo
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If you do the white subways, instead of dark grout try a very light grey/silver. It would give you more definition than white grout but not so much that your eyes are “grabbed” by the dark contrast.

Love your cabs!

• chispa
    5 years ago

Alicia, the great thing about backsplash is that you don't have to do it right away. If you love the idea of something more than white subway, then you need to keep looking.

I'm on backsplash #2. First backsplash had installation problems, so it was taken out. I took the loss, but I'm secretly glad that something went wrong, because I had gone too safe and wan't happy with the end result. For backsplash #2 I am going bolder, still neutral colors, because it goes with the rest of the kitchen, but the backsplash will be two tone with a large scale pattern. Have another 3 to 4 weeks before the tile order comes in, but it took me a couple of months to find tile #2.

If you are in the LA area I can give you several tile shops to visit!

• C L
    5 years ago

LOVE YOUR CABINET COLOR! Way to go for being bold enough to do it! That’s what I wanted but got scared by the husband “Blue cabinets?!?!” I think white subway. No accent. White grout. I had a designer tell me once “grout is a necessity not art” and if your tile guy gets it the littlest bit off it will be so obvious! Let those cabinets and marble be the star. Don’t compete by having dark grout (my 2 cents!) can’t wait to see the end result! LOVE It!!

• Alicia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@chispa Maybe you're right, that waiting is the answer. But man am I anxious to just have this whole thing done! Unfortunately not in LA, I'm in Chicago. Would love to see what you decided on for your kitchen!

• C L
    5 years ago

• damiarain
    5 years ago

Great counter choice! Depending on how much backsplash area you have you could continue the white marble of your counters up the wall as your backsplash

Either way, post some pics once your counters are installed - you’ll have a better idea of how your home lighting affects them (plus they always look different as horizontal counters vs vertical slabs!)

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    5 years ago

I’m not a blue fan usually, but your cabinets are GREAT! Let them be the star and don’t distract from them by adding a bunch of other things. Think Coco Chanel: Simple but very chic.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

IMO the cabinets are the star go simple backsplash with not contrasting grout and everywhere IMO those accents behind the stove make no sense unless you have a huge Tuscan kitchen.

• friedajune
    5 years ago

I've posted this pic before, because I love it so much. It is a kitchen designed by Martyn Bullard, using Christopher Peacock cabinets, in, naturally, peacock blue. The designer chose an accent over the range of a "wedgwood basalt plaque which once belonged to fashion icon Bill Blass." Note though that it is a very grand La Cornue range and an equally grand custom hood over it so the proportion works. The backsplash looks to be a slab of the same marble as the perimeter counters.

Martyn Bullard instagram post about kitchen

• sprtphntc7a
    5 years ago

Cabinets are the star!! just gorgeous!! let them shine!!

no, to accent behind stove and i also would not do dark grout on white tile. that will be all u see. i also would not do white tile. i feel it needs something more, subtle to be sure, to make those cabinets sing.

after counter install, start bringing home samples to see in your space.

i would consider using the counter top material on cooktop wall and tile on sink wall. i like it on the cooktop wall b/c u have no grout and so much easier to keep clean behind the cooktop. you could also use your countertop material for all your b/s.

• herbflavor
    5 years ago

After counter is in...search for the correct white subway tile. I wouldn't contrast the grout, except by maybe one shade. For tile: cool vs warm and the degree of gloss will be deciding factors. ..but you will know once you bring in samples. Blue is usually a "cool" ...but your blue has a degree of yellow/warmth. The counter looks to have both cool and warm shading. It might boil down to your lighting....and day/nite differences as well. You have to walk by/ look at / with samples in the space. When I look at your kitchen, I would want something a little extra at the hood: basketweave or herringbone....especially if the counter for perimeter and island is all the same. Nice to be at the finish line...it's going to give you so much happiness...but I would insert something in that spot.

• Alicia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wow, thank you everyone for validating our cabinet color choice! It was a scary decision, but we love them. After countertops go in I’m going to be bringing home a lot of tile samples. Will update with photos of other options!
  • C L
    5 years ago

Be sure to post a final pic!

• soloism
    5 years ago

Wow. It's nice to see it. This is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

• K R
    5 years ago
    It’s sooooo pretty, can’t wait to see a pic of it done. We looked at a house with a blue island that I was in love with but my husband was like “hell no” lol. Reminds me of yours. They used a beveled white glossy subway (granted there was not much in the ways of backsplash) but it looked so nice together.
  • AnnKH
    5 years ago

You cabinets are amazing - and I am not usually drawn to colored cabinets. Let them be the star of the show, as others have said. If you do decide to emphasize the area behind the stove, do something more subtle, like C L posted.

Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen!

• PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    5 years ago

I would stick to more basic with a little something to it. for example all plain white but use a mother of pearl. so that it gives character somewhat and its not too simple.

• Hillside House
    5 years ago

I’m not a fan of accent tile above the range, personally. Have you seen the brass schluter edge used in tile applications? It could give you that metallic touch you want, without going overboard. Here are a few examples:

Or maybe just a stripe or two?

• Alicia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Hillside House I love that! I looked on their website and I'm having a hard time finding the really thin pieces like the ones in those pictures. Any ideas?

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Gorgeous color blue cabinets. Are those custom painted cabinets? Did you choose that blue from many choices? Whoever chose that particular blue has great taste in color.

• Alicia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @artistsharonva Thank you so much! Yes this was custom painted. I must have sampled 30+ different blues before deciding on this one. I was worried it would be too dark, but I love it.
  • Alicia
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    And we have countertops! I didn’t realize until now that our carpenters put three different temperature bulbs in the ceiling lights, so the color looks a little off, but very excited about being able to see the backsplash samples up against the actual countertops.
  • chispa
    5 years ago

That looks great and you can certainly do a patterned/bold backsplash with them.

Can I make one comment though? Did you consider plugmold? Seems like a pity to have all those outlets interrupting whatever backsplash you pick.

• Alicia
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@chispa I wasn't introduced to plugmold until after we were already wired, which has been bothering me almost daily. I'm a little scared to ask my electrician what would be involved in changing it. We've made a ton of changes already and I think he's just about had it with me!

• Chisos
    5 years ago

Beautiful

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    5 years ago

Love seeing a non-white/grey kitchen!

• isabel98
    5 years ago

don't worry about the plugs. a plug mold does not allow you to keep appliances plugged in as the cord will reach up under cabs which is as unsightly or worse than what you have. you can easily hide them when on the wall. if anything I would recommend putting them closer to the counter.

• Hillside House
    5 years ago

Does this help?

• cookncarpenter
    5 years ago

Love the cab color!
    NO to any accent behind range (can you say millennium?)
    Subway - meh, so many other choices
    And definitely no to contrasting dark grout!! Match grout to tile as close as you can

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

great kitchen

you can decide to go bold or go home so to say..both will look great, just a different vibe

my decision would be based on my funds lol..for to go bold I need to really love the tile, and all tiles I really love-I usually can't afford, or can afford in very little quantities

btw "going home" wouldn't be really cheap too-because I tend to love handmade tile

in my case I decided I'd rather "go home" than have only an accent. hard to know, maybe I'd love it enough as not to care about anything else. Still obsessed with that tile. It's like a bug..can't get it out of my system

one caution-if you decide to stay with plainer tile I wouldn't do contrasting grout. Not in your place.

well considered metal element as suggested above..can be very interesting. I somehow imagine it in a different kitchen though ..need to think why

in yours, I rather see allover pattern-or going subtle (doesn't have to be subway but can be)

none would be a mistake

don't hurry..study what's there..listen to yourself really well..and if you find a tile that's your "bug"..let it in..:)

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Wow! Alicia great job in color choices. As an artist who works in colors, I truly appreciate your color choice. You win for my favorite blue kitchen I have seen so far. It's obvious you worked hard to pick your colors. Way to go!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

Be still my heart! I LOVE your kitchen--as other have said, the cabinet color is stunning!! And that reclaimed wood beam is a wonderful accent.

As for the backsplash, I'd keep it very simple--you really don't have a lot of area that needs a backsplash for such a large kitchen. A white rectangular tile (AKA "Subway") would work perfectly fine and will be a nice background for your cabinets. I wouldn't do any feature tile over the range, as it will make it look choppy. Also, after you install all your cabinet hardware you'll have a lot of the brass/gold and don't need more of it on the backsplash.

But since you have an out-of-the-ordinary kitchen, I have three suggestions.

1. You might consider a 2 x 8 glazed brick tile, for example Waterworks makes a line called "Grove Brickworks" which would add a subtle texture and work really nicely with the vibe in the room. Here's a close-up look, in a bathroom, but you get the idea!

Waterworks Offerings · More Info

And in a kitchen:

NW 13th Avenue Loft · More Info

2. Or handmade, hand painted glazed terra cotta from Tabarka tiles. Here's just one of their shapes in gray on white. There are so many more if you visit their website.

Tabarka Installations · More Info

3. Lastly, Moroccan zeliig tiles, also handmade, handpainted tiles, which also come in many shapes, sizes and colors. There is a great variation in shades in a single color, so you get a lovely subtle texture. Mosaic House is a great source for these, here is their "white" tile:

"The Mosaic House" Range Hood · More Info

• remodeling1840
    5 years ago
    Love the blue! My center island is blue since it’s my favorite color. We used a fireback as the backsplash behind our range. It references the huge fireplace that is the focal point of the kitchen and pays homage to the historic nature of our house. There are many antique ones for sale, but we obtained ours from Pennsylvania Firebacks.
  • PRO
    Z Interior Decorations Inc.
    5 years ago

Tried to read all of the comments first to see if anyone had suggested just a single sheet of stainless for the backplash in your range section. You can add an accessory shelf to it as well.

• sprtphntc7a
    5 years ago

remodeling1840, OMG, love those... i want one, somewhere !!!

which one did u choose? so many i love!!

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

Tabarka is what came to my mind when I wrote "allover pattern" yesterday

amazing brand..check them out. experience in itself for sure whether you decide to go with them or not, whether you decide to go with pattern at all-or let your blue be your main star

not every kitchen can "carry" Tabarka-yours can

Where's the house? what's its style?

Kitchen open to other spaces, right? what's there/will be there?

these are the questions I'd ask myself too when deciding

• TJW
    5 years ago

Wonderful kitchen! You said, "I'm a little scared to ask my electrician what would be involved in changing it." Don't be. Plug mold or close to the counter . . . he will re-cut the holes and pull the wires through and patch the previous holes. A little work, but it's not like you're asking something difficult. And you pay him to do work, right?

• cpartist
    5 years ago

I was also going to post about Tabarka tile. That would be perfect for your gorgeous cabinets.

• bkeithaz
    5 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I second TJW's comment about asking the electrician to move the outlets -- I would prefer them up under the cabinets -- some day I'm going to actually figure out how much the electrician charged in my remodel, but right now I'm enjoying every change or addition I asked him to do and it was so worth it!!

• bkeithaz
    5 years ago

I second TJW's comments -- I'd like the outlets to be under the counters -- sSomeday I'm giong to actually figure out how much my electrician charged me in my remodel, but right now I'm enjoying and appreciating every change and additon I had him make!!!

• Marta
    5 years ago
    Gorgeous kitchen - I love the cabinet color! Since these cabinets should really be the star, I would consider doing a panel of the same tiles as the backsplash, but installed in another way (for example, if you’re thinking of staggered subway tile, do a chevron pattern insert with a simple bullnose border).
  • chispa
    5 years ago

Someone mentioned that with plugmold you see the wires hanging ... what wires ... not everyone keeps a collection of small appliances on the counters! My remodel was a way to get rid of countertop appliances.

I'm going with plugmold to make as much impact with my backsplash as possible. The only counter top appliance I will have is a small toaster oven and it sits round the corner under the shadow of a tall cabinet. No one will notice that wire, but the main part of my backsplash won't have 5 holes messing up the pattern.