Houzz Logo Print
ajm27

Should I give up on this kitchen dream?

ajm27
5 years ago

Current Layout

Inspiration

My Attempt at Modeling the Layout

Obviously kitchen design isn't my thing so with my layout, I've lost access to the room behind the scullery.

Comments (40)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago

To be clear, you are moving the kitchen from its current location into what is currently the family room? What are your reasons? Stateside this plan would never fly, though I understand tastes are different other places (Britain?)

ajm27 thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • damiarain
    5 years ago

What is it about this that is your dream? The color scheme? The inset cabinets? Because the layout is definitely a bit goofy - in particular the placement of the fridge outside of the kitchen (waaaay away from the sink and cook top) (plus in the pic it looks like the fridge is hinged on the right - so there’s not even a landing spot next to the fridge)

I’m not sure I completely understand your current layout in relation to the pics (like where is the fireplace??) but you seem to have a bunch of space to work with so I bet folks here can get you to an awesome new layout that is beautiful and functional.

ajm27 thanked damiarain
  • Related Discussions

I could scream. Should I give up?

Q

Comments (45)
    The old adage "if you want something done right, do it yourself" rings very true here. I like the yellow stakes idea. Even if the mow/blow guys can't read, surely they know their colors - do not touch!!! The yard man who does the landscape care where I work clips the formosa azaleas like hedges - even after August when they have set their buds for next spring. I told my boss but he still does it, and there were no flowers this year. Duh! You grow up in Florida and don't know azaleas aren't hedges??? I've had my neighbor's "20-year old handyman/gardener" spray RU in the wind (my whole front yard of roses was downwind) and say "my uncle says it only kills grass". There's no cure for stupid. The builder of our subdivision (34 lots) did not want an HOA but after erecting a nice entrance sign for the subd name was told by the city that doing so required him to have an association (?!?!). So he went the minimally invasive route of a POA - Property Owners Association. In Florida anyway a POA may or may not apply even the few rules they have which are only meant to protect property values NOT dictate house color, yard plantings, etc. Our rules do say we must have grass in the front yard, but the board has not enforced that against me. :)) Invariably, there are errors in communication - especially between men and women (I won't say more, but I don't understand what's so hard about LISTENING). Funny thing - my bosses DH is a very verbal, non-mechanical, lawyer-educated but non practicing man who repeats EVERYTHING he says at least twice. At first I found it kind of aggravating, but then I came to appreciate the second chance to "get" his instructions and now wish everyone would "tell me twice". I'm more and more grateful for the toughness of OGRs. I hope hoovb's HOA Mons Tillier is on its way to recovery, and I hope luxrosa's 12" tall teas survived. I will be hugely impressed if they do. Sherry
    ...See More

I dont know if i should give up on my aloe vera

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes and yes. Don't overwater it - only when it appears thirsty and the weather is warm (if still outside).
    ...See More

I'm giving up on my English Garden dream

Q

Comments (46)
    a. the tall skinnny evergreen might be sky pencil holly b. salvia greggii & knockouts (already mentioned) are perfect, i think, for those areas - both are relatively zero-maintenance - you'd only have to "climb up there" once a year c. i agree with the comment that the stonework/concrete will increase the ambient heat - native & drought-tolerant is the way to go if you want low-maintenance d. i've got some purple heart, if you want some - they do spread, but not in an invasive way - they're native to mexico & can handle the heat e. there's someone on our forum who describes their style as "native texas cottage" or something similar - who is that? not exactly an english garden counterpart, but similar - is it the orderly, geometric, trimmed "english garden" that you like, or the overflowing, miss marple "english garden" that you prefer? - that would help us make texas-friendly suggestions f. your structure would look wonderful with a local native flowering vine - have you already told us what part of texas? - that would also go a long way in lowering the ambient temp
    ...See More

Should I give up Double Ovens for a range in this layout?

Q

Comments (20)
    Me, guilty of overthinking....never happens! (smile) You've got me pegged very well!!! Thanks soooo much for your input once again. remodelfla, to answer your question about DO....they come in a stack so can't be separated. Mine will have the availability of convection in both ovens which is another plus. I was appliance shopping today for a Frig and DW and when I told the guy the brand of DO's I bought, he went on and on about how wonderful they are so that was further confirmation. backinthesaddle, Yes, I am committed to the corner pantry. I tried to get rid of it earlier to do a cabinet wall pantry but it drove up the cabinet costs significantly so I'm sticking with it because it is a lot less $$ to build and will provide LOTS of acessible storage as buehl mentioned. cheri127 , Glad to hear I'm not the only one "hiking" to my cooktop! Perhaps it'll keep me fit as I get older! :) sarschlos_remodeler, thanks for the input about placing MW next to frig as I'm still contemplating that decision. My leaning toward the island is because I could grab leftovers from frig, set on island, get dishes & silverware (stored in island), then reheat and eat. Plus MW would be closer to baking center if I needed to melt butter, etc.. AND it would allow upper cabinet next to frig to be used for water glasses and additional storage. O.K., I'll stop 2nd guessing....until the next major decision! :) You are all the best! Thanks again!
    ...See More
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

Is this a remodel or a new build?

What is it about the inspiration picture that you want to emulate? What exactly is your dream?

These might be helpful to start with,

New to Kitchens? Read me first! FAQ

Looking for layout help? Memorize this first

ajm27 thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes. The entire home is being gutted due to water damage from an attic fire. I'm in western PA, but love classic English Country and Georgian kitchen styling. I want the kitchen to be a kitchen, not an entertainment space. I've also tried this layout where the existing kitchen is, but then I'm lost at configuring the rest of the first floor. Trying to keep our kitchen and family room as separate as possible.

• ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@damiarain: A simple kitchen and a hidden/closed-off area that can hide all of my mess, food, and appliances. As much as I want to keep people out of the kitchen (selfish, I know) it's inevitable that they're going to congregate there (I have 6 sisters in law!!!!). I would rather have a small-ish island and then a kitchen table for eating and seating.

Goofy is an understatement ha!

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    5 years ago

It's a unique and inspired concept, but you really need an experienced kitchen designer to help you to execute it. This has the potential to be a pricey remodel, so you want to work with someone who can make the most of your investment.

5 years ago

What is it about the inspiration picture you like, esp since the style is much more American blogger transitional than English Country/Georgian style? Something like Plain English would seem to be a better fit for your stated style.

Do you actually want to move the kitchen from the (existing) kitchen to the family room? Is this because of the fireplace?

I would definitely go through the Kitchen planning links I posted. It will also be helpful to think about how many people use the kitchen, how many people you need to seat at the kitchen table, how much storage you need, etc.

• live_wire_oak
    5 years ago

You should find out what your insurance company will be paying. Most of the time, its peanuts. Or less. You are wanting something that is decidedly NOT peanuts priced. Moving all of the electric and plumbing in a kitchen will be very expensive to impossible if you are on a slab foundation. Do you have the 100K to contribute to the insurance payout? What else is on the list that has to be done?

ajm27 thanked live_wire_oak
  • dan1888
    5 years ago

Maybe some family therapy could be your first option. Walling yourself off from everyone who loves you, that kind of goal is hard to design for. An open accepting kitchen space for helping and sharing, that's what we're good at. Your inspiration is more enervating for someone who enjoys preparing food for herself and family. It cuts the flow. You can give it up.

ajm27 thanked dan1888
  • hollybar
    5 years ago

For a project like this,a good kitchen designer (& one on YOUR wavelength) is worth their weight in gold. Getting them involved early in the process will save you money and get you where you want to be faster. So will having a very clear idea of what you want and the ability to convey same. Do you have more inspo pics? Are you imagining meals in front of the fireplace?

ajm27 thanked hollybar
  • palimpsest
    5 years ago

I think the separation is super impractical

• ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@beckysharp:

Funny you mention Plain English... I am in love with all of those English "luxury bespoke" kitchen companies. The thing I like most about the photo I posted is the range wall flanked by entries into the scullery run.

As far as the location, yes and no. While I'd love a fireplace in the kitchen, I can just imagine how warm it may get in there - especially with an AGA. The existing family room has some built ins with two closets that resemble the range wall and I suppose that is where that idea came from.

Thanks so much for the links! I've skimmed over them before but I'll definitely do a more in depth review :) Appreciate the help!

• ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@live_wire_oak:

We purchased the home as-is. It was an older couple who, after a few weeks of reno, decided they were better to just sell. A contractor friend did a walk-through before we bought and our offer was based on the renovation estimate.

Thanks for bringing up the plumbing. May have forgotten that little detail. ;)

• palimpsest
    5 years ago

What if you somehow got the refrigerator out into the same area as the range? A refrigerator is enclosed and not messy. With the range out front I have a feeling you are going to make the mess out by the range anyway. It looks interesting in the picture, but I don't understand how this is supposed to function...and I am a pretty flexible person when it comes to kitchen design.

ajm27 thanked palimpsest
  • ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@dan1888

Meh. Open and accepting? Isn't the push for those types of spaces relatively new? I'm a newlywed without any kids, so I may be going into this a bit blindly. I do agree it does cut me off but I guess I see the kitchen as therapeutic. I love putting on music or a podcast and getting lost in the recipes. And don't even get me started on dishes...it's just so relaxing to me haha!

Have any suggestions on how I could get the best of both worlds?

• jmm1837
    5 years ago

OP, if you don't want to have the kitchen be an entertainment scene, then you need a closed off kitchen. That doesn't mean you cram half the kitchen into a scullery, it means you put a wall between where you cook and where you eat. You don't want to separate the ice/water/stone/fire functions from one another if you want to retain kitchen functionality, which is the problem with your proposed layout. In your case, I think you need to create a kitchen, with all the mess it entails, that is entirely separate from your more decorous dining area.

ajm27 thanked jmm1837
  • palimpsest
    5 years ago

I actually prefer closed kitchens. Closed, but open to someplace that people can hang out, perhaps, but not open to everything as is popular.

I think it all needs to be on the same side of the wall though.

ajm27 thanked palimpsest
  • ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@hollybar: I'm so nervous about working with a kitchen designer for that very reason. I think if I lived in Philadelphia I would have a much better time finding someone who understands (and can improve) my vision.

You mention getting them involved early; how early? I'm sure there is a post about this somewhere so I'll search around for details but I'll take any tips or advice you may have! :)

Bespoke Family Kitchen | Gerrards Cross · More Info

The Hampton Court Kitchen · More Info

The Georgian Hunting Lodge | Nickleby Kitchen Project · More Info

• ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@palimpsest: I am open to bringing the fridge and freezer out into the main kitchen - especially because they can be camouflaged to look like cabinets. That would actually make my hubs pretty happy because he's concerned about the extra 3 feet to grab his snacks lol.

Totally understand your point on closed but with a hang out spot. Right between the existing kitchen and family room is a GIANT window that has a sill large enough to sit. Great view from the front door too. Regardless of the kitchen location, I envisioned a little sitting area. I just don't want that 4' x 16' island which seems so typical for kitchens these days.

• ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@jmm1837: :( but can't I just have both??? (super dramatic voice)

I know the only way I can truly keep people out of the kitchen is by locking the door - and I certainly don't want to do that - so I think having the kitchen table in there will help a bit.

• ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Jan I: Trying! Can’t think of more perfect time to be pregnant haha. Smack dab in the middle of a major home renovation, packing our current home, and then moving.

I’ve heard that quite a bit. And I completely agree. I work from home which should give me lots of play time and was hoping that while cooking dinner that could be some fun time with Dad. Totally hypothetical and chances are I’ll have toys running over my feet.
  • ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @wiscokid hahahahahahahaha
  • ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @wiscokid: I need to put that quote in a cute font and throw it on my Etsy shop. I can’t stop laughing!
  • hollybar
    5 years ago

@ajm27 I found a terrific KD after talking to a few who definitely did not get my vision at all. Which is quite similar to yours,btw. Mostly they wanted to open up walls and modernize in ways I did not. (my kitchen hasn't an island and is a combo of unfitted and fitted,very functional butler's pantry/scullery combo etc...guess we were deVol, before deVol was cool ;-). Our KD and I worked together and years later I still love the kitchen. The reason I mentioned bringing them on in the early planning stage is because kitchens are really 'devil in the details' endeavors. Each decision flows from the earlier ones & those early decisions regarding power,plumbing, ventilation etc. are best explored with a pro. One odd tip that worked for me, was that besides sharing specific inspo photos,I also shared some pics of what I did not like. Doing that at those first interview meetings, really helped me hone in on someone I could work with. We did not totally share an aesthetic,but she understood the feeling I wanted. Best of Luck!

ajm27 thanked hollybar
    5 years ago

The entire home is being gutted due to water damage from an attic fire. ...

We purchased the home as-is. It was an older couple who, after a few weeks of reno, decided they were better to just sell. A contractor friend did a walk-through before we bought and our offer was based on the renovation estimate.

So it was the older couple who had the fire? Will you be living in the house as you remodel, or living elsewhere? What's your budget for the whole house, and then for the kitchen? Putting in a new kitchen of this sort won't be cheap, and that's before you factor in 1) an AGA (even a small one) and 2) moving plumbing to a completely different room.

The thing I like most about the photo I posted is the range wall flanked by entries into the scullery run.

Aha : ) . Now we get to the crux of your vision and inspiration. But this is also where I become a pedant, and I apologize for that now. When you say "scullery", do you actually mean the space for cleaning up? Or do you mean a storage pantry (what in the UK would be called a larder), which is [what aktillery has in her kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/better-late-than-nevermy-kitchen-reveal-dsvw-vd~3602553), with an extra sink? Or do you want the actual set-up from your inspiration picture above, with appliances like the fridge and wall ovens in the pantry/"scullery"? Figuring this out will be necessary when you start planning your kitchen layout.

I'm a newlywed without any kids, so I may be going into this a bit blindly.

Definitely think about how you might want to use the kitchen in the future, at least in terms of whether you want a one-bum kitchen or a two- or three- (or four-bum kitchen). You clearly love to cook -- do you want your kids to grow up learning to cook, or do you want the kitchen all to yourself forever and always? It's totally possible to have other people helping out in the smallest kitchen (I know because this was my situation growing up in a NYC apartment with my mother, grandmother, and several kids), but if you're going to the major expense and trouble of a remodel/renovation, it's worth more than a little thought. For us, my husband has always enjoyed cooking (he made me an amazing apple pie shortly after we met), and I wanted the kids to learn to cook, and to enjoy cooking. So my philosophy is pretty much the opposite of wiscokid's : )

You might be interested in this recent thread on unfitted kitchens/unkitchens,

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2419987/the-unkitchen-layout-help#n=12

• sambah006
    5 years ago

>Have any suggestions on how I could get the best of both worlds?

Semi open concept. Double pocket doors between the kitchen and whatever room it opens up into, such as the dining/living area. When you want everyone to leave you alone, close the doors. When not, open them up.

ajm27 thanked sambah006
  • dan1888
    5 years ago

New? I think my 81 build is vintage enough, relatively. Specifically setup so two can cook without feeling in 'the way' of the other. I'd even do better today. . . . Mine came part from sharing houses in college. . . . . And there are private or separate spaces in homes with open plan kitchen living dining rooms when you want them. . . . . When I'm messing with food anyone can help or watch and talk. Nothing is set in stone. Interaction is above food on the value scale day to day. But I've shared housing and space and food. So its not a need to be apart to get something completed by myself. Maybe you haven't been able to let that happen yet. . . . Newly a part of a big family with lots of 'sisters' willing to share your space. Overwhelming? I'd just let them do what they want. 6 extra friends who can also mess with your husband are a priceless asset that's your prize forever.

. . . .and that stovetop -it's not induction I'm guessing.

ajm27 thanked dan1888
  • herbflavor
    5 years ago

if this were my "project" I would turn the half bath into a full bath and somewhere section off a room that can be a bedroom. You have sq footage and a large extended family. Getting that from the first floor would be a priority. You kitchen concept seems like it will evolve yet a few more times. You don't state what the current state of affairs is...do you have target dates and a specific budget for any of this. Not clear if you must move in..are you living elsewhere, where you can stay?...is the upstairs free of need for anything repair-wise. Perhaps move in with the idea you can live upstairs, if you want to get out of your current property, …..set up a "dorm room style wet bar" and work on a plan for the WHOLE first floor. En suite, or not , a bedroom and bath are great value...the mimicry of the upper class country home kitchen.....and expending your budget, is dubious.

ajm27 thanked herbflavor
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

The first thing that has to be set on a large project like remaking an entire home is the budget. People always experience sticker shock. Get that over with now, so the plans can be tailored to the budget and you don’t waste time planning things that can not happen due to budget.

ajm27 thanked User
  • ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@beckysharp: I love the way you format your responses!

So it was the older couple who had the fire? Will you be living in the house as you remodel, or living elsewhere? What's your budget for the whole house, and then for the kitchen? Putting in a new kitchen of this sort won't be cheap, and that's before you factor in 1) an AGA (even a small one) and 2) moving plumbing to a completely different room.

Yes, a lightning strike! The fire stayed in the attic, but there is water damage down to the basement. No, not living in the house. Overall is $400K (includes contingency) and haven't set anything for kitchen. Mistake, I know. Working on it though! :)

Aha : ) . Now we get to the crux of your vision and inspiration. But this is also where I become a pedant, and I apologize for that now. When you say "scullery", do you actually mean the space for cleaning up?

No worries! I understand! Yes, I mean a true scullery; however, I would like a few of my appliances in there as well.

do you want your kids to grow up learning to cook, or do you want the kitchen all to yourself forever and always?

Y'know I never really thought about it this way. Great point.

• ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@hollybar:

Thank you!! Do you have any photos of your kitchen? Would love to see!! :) And good on you for sticking to your vision. I think your tip about including examples of what I don't like is genius! Is it possible to work with a KD virtually or would I be best finding someone local?

• ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@sambah006:

I like that idea! Huge fan of pocket doors too!

• ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@dan1888 Interaction is above food on the value scale day to day. Newly a part of a big family with lots of 'sisters' willing to share your space. Overwhelming? I'd just let them do what they want. 6 extra friends who can also mess with your husband are a priceless asset that's your prize forever.

Touche! He's the youngest of 5 boys so that girl time is appreciated by all. Our new home is actually in the same neighborhood as two of the boys.

Nope, it's a cast-iron range. I've never used induction.

• ajm27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@herbflavor

Our main priority is fixing the roof - rafters should be finished tonight and hoping we can get someone in to roof it before snow starts to fall. No firm target date, but we'd like to put our current home on the market in April/May.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

This might not work at all, since it would require moving the window. It would give you a range between two doors, but the plumbing stays in the same area on the exterior wall (m/l). At 10'9" there is no space for an island, but you could have a small pull-out cart beside the range, for use as an extra prep area. On the other side is another pull-out which would be table-style, for a seat, in case you want someone in the kitchen with you, and it could also double as prep space.

The counters on both sides of the room are 30" deep, to provide more counter space, to allow the fridge to appear built in, and to close the gap to about 5'9" in the aisle.

I drew a new an opening between the LR and kitchen, but that could be closed again if you ever decide to have a bedroom on the first floor, as herbflavor suggested.

This would not be my choice for a layout--I like having the sink, prep, and range on a continuous run, but having a separate feature range can be attractive, and I do like the English country style.

ajm27 thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • dan1888
    5 years ago

Induction is worth checking out. And you have time. I would choose it over any other. Higher end appliance stores can have demo units. You can find discussion on the Appliance forum. [Here.[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/did-you-switch-from-gas-to-induction-dsvw-vd~5507160?n=15)

ajm27 thanked dan1888
    5 years ago

Do you want an island or a kitchen table in kitchen? A kitchen table is more classic English country, but then it also presupposes/denotes a kitchen that is open and welcoming, to family at mealtimes, to neighbors who stop by for tea and conversation, for friends for a casual dinner.

I have gas and love it. I grew up with a 1920s gas stove in a NYC preware apartment, and for the past 25 years have cooked on a 1950s O'Keefe & Merritt range which I loved. We have a Bluestar in the new house : ) ; I'd always dreamed of an Aga, but I looked into it and it just wasn't practical for us, unfortunately. I'm happiest in the kitchen on a cold Canadian day with an enameled Dutch oven on the range bubbling away.

Yes, I mean a true scullery; however, I would like a few of my appliances in there as well.

By true scullery, this is where you will do all the cleaning and washing up? So sink and dishwasher, and dish/glassware storage nearby in the pantry/scullery? Think about how you prepare and eat meals and all the paths you and others will need to walk as you move food, dishes, glasses, etc. around the kitchen, between the refrigerator, range, sink, etc.

And which appliances? If you mean the microwave, toaster, slow cooker, second/additional/back-up fridge and/or freezer, that would definitely work. I have a (new) refrigerator in my new kitchen, and the plan for the walk-in pantry around the corner is to have a full upright all-fridge next to a full upright all-freezer. Right now the pantry has our old spare fridge and our older upright freezer while we replenish the $ supply : ) .

But if you're talking about the one and only fridge and the only oven(s) as in the first photo above, along with the dishwasher and the (main) clean-up sink, that's a very inefficient and dysfunctional set-up and I would suggest some long and considered thought. What might seem doable now, esp in favor of a "cute" set-up, will likely become increasingly less so once you've been married for a while, as you get older, and with a busier family life whether you are two people or five. You're basically also setting up a kitchen behind a kitchen, so what else would be in the "main" kitchen besides the range on display?

I think it's possible to have the look you want but with a much more efficient layout, where you'll be able to cook and move about your kitchen virtually without thought. But that means a lot of thought at the front end : ) .

From Marcolo's old post which I recommended above, ["Looking for layout help? Memorize this first"[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/looking-for-layout-help-memorize-this-first-dsvw-vd~2699918):

(Original comment to which Marcolo was replying: This is about being able to look at a layout and seeing in one second whether the fridge, sink and prep space are in the right place.)

Repeat after me:

Ice. Water. Stone. Fire.

Say it again: Ice. Water. Stone. Fire. In that order.

Got it?

I've been away only about a year or so, and just look at the fine mess you've gotten yourselves into. Stoves stuck between sinks and fridges. Islands sticking out like J-wow's backside. Dishwashers next to ranges. Cats sleeping with dogs. "I'm not suuuuure why I need a prep sink." Enough!

Ice. Water. Stone. Fire.

Remember it.

That's the recipe for every home-cooked meal ever made. Every one. Of course I'm not talking about baloney sandwiches or nuked chicken fingers. I mean, meals you actually cook. I don't care if you're making hamburgers, spag bol, shumai, boiled dinner, mac & cheese, or fish puking up its own tail (Ever see that? It's called en colere, it's completely gross yet strangely cool)--you're following the same four-word recipe.

ICE. This is your fridge or freezer. Your pantry. Your stolen shopping cart full of cat food. The un-insulated back porch where your grandmother stores that stuff she uses to make that stuff you like. Wherever you store your uncooked food--that's Ice. It all starts here.

WATER. You start a cooked meal by taking food out of Ice and bringing it to Water. Water is the sink you use to prep. There, you wash the food. Maybe you mix it with water. At minimum, you rinse your hands and utensils. At least, if you want to stay alive, you do. There was a woman here a couple of years ago who insisted she never used water to prep. She doesn't post anymore, because dysentery.

STONE. Then you bring the food to Stone. As in, you know, granite, soapstone, marble. Or wood. Or formica, or whatever else your prep surface might be. You chop, you julienne, you trim, you pull little wriggling things out of your broccoli and show them to your annoying niece until she screams and leaves you the hell alone in the kitchen finally. Whatever. While you are doing this, you frequently bop back and forth between Stone and Water, as you clean your hands or rinse the wrigglers off your knife. The NKBA says this bit of Stone should be a minimum of 36" wide by 24" deep. But you really want bigger.

FIRE. Next it's on to Fire--your range, oven, cooktop, whatever. Obvious. This is where the magic happens. You sear a steak, bake a pie, or watch a soufflé rise to fluffy heaven until your damn niece comes storming back into the kitchen slamming doors. Anyway.

So, are you doing a layout? Memorize this recipe first. Because this is the primary order you will be working in your new kitchen. Set it up so you don't have to backtrack fifty times a day every time you cook. Also, do not make yourself dodge people getting glasses out of the dishwasher, or rinsing off whatever the hell they got on their hands which, P.S., they already wiped all over your upholstery. Make sure you have clear, unobstructed lines between Ice, Water, Stone and Fire.

What? No, that doesn't mean they all need to line up in a row. They're usually in a triangle of some sort, though not always.

This is why we may recommend a prep sink for you. It's not because we get a commission on them, although we frikking well deserve one at this point. It's because in your particular layout, your main sink is not located where it needs to be. It may cross paths with other kitchen invaders. Or it simply fails to follow the order Ice-Water-Stone-Fire in a really glaring and inefficient way.

Ice. Water. Stone. Fire.

Now you know the recipe. Go make something with it.

• gigi1993
    5 years ago

Go to Laurel Bern's website (laurelbern.com) and check out her blog. In the search block put "unkitchen". Pretty sure that is what you are describing - a classic English kitchen. Also look at her pantry posts. She's super talented, very funny, and down to earth.

• Michelle misses Sophie
    5 years ago

" esp since the style is much more American blogger transitional than English Country/Georgian style "

Absolutely LOVE this comment/observation!