SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aineskow

Extending / lengthening lined custom silk drapes?

AMS
5 years ago

Hi all,

When I bought my house, I inherited the draperies. They were a bit old fashioned - see (poorly lit) photo below - but high quality.

I have gotten rid of the balloon valances, but I'd like to attempt to keep the curtain panels. It's hard to see from the photo above, but they are cream, high quality, pinch pleat, silk, lined drapes (the tag says they are JC Penny custom - I'd guess decades old? Yes, I need to get them dry cleaned). The problem: they are too short (due to the old school rail system). I don't want a valance, plan to get a curtain rod, and would like floor length curtains.

SO: is it possible to extend lined curtains? I can sew, and have made lined curtain in the past, but I'm by no means an expert. I see a few options:

1) Add fabric to the top like this: I don't like this idea because it means throwing away the hard work that is already done (the pinch pleats).

2) Add fabric to the bottom like this: this means I need to re-do a bottom hem

3) add to the middle: this saves the 'hard work' of the pleats and hem, but I still don't know how I'd add a lined panel logistically...

Any thoughts/ideas/solutions greatly appreciated!

Comments (14)