SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rens7thhome

Advice for exterior curb appeal

rens7thhome
5 years ago

Hi there. In June 2016, after my divorce, I bought a 1979 split level where I live with my two children. The house was impeccably clean and had been owned by the same couple since it was built. They had made several exterior upgrades in the previous few years including: new architectural shingles, replacing masonite siding with vinyl, new windows and doors, new gutters, etc. Although these changes are appreciated they aren't exactly my style and I'd very much like to give the front a makeover. My goal would be that it not look like a split level at all but more of a cozy cottage. I've made some minor interior changes and am currently finishing up the kitchen reno. Everything I've done thus far has been on a pay as I go budget. I realize that the exterior would be a much higher financial investment. Has anyone undertaken a similar project lately who would be willing to share cost? I'd also be most appreciative to ideas, advice and direction on how I could accomplish these changes on a not so lavish budget. Major goal would be to remove the dutch colonial roof on the left front of the house, add dormers for interest on the right and some sort of covering over the front door that would downplay the elevation change. The current landscaping would also be replaced.

Current elevation:

Inspiration: note this is a pic found online that I altered to more closely match my current layout.

Thanks for looking!

Comments (8)