SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrhenely

looking for real reviews of Pottery Barn Turner Leather soda

Jessica
5 years ago
I have this sofa in my cart and can’t quite pull the trigger. I love the style, I’ve felt the leather in store - everything seems good. But the few reviews I CAN find online are a real mixed bag. Too spendy to not be great. Anyone out there have one?

Also considering the Tyler recliner in Performance Velvet. Never had velvet from PB - any flags?

Comments (66)

• MGAL
    3 years ago

That is so interesting, I have heard others say the same. I had not considered RH I can’t believe I didn’t think of it. I’m going to check their stuff out and add it to my options. This is agonizing. Thank you!

• angela51
    3 years ago

I sold my RH Maxwell sofa three years after spending $$$. Not sure if they’re made better now, but if you constantly want to readjust and fluff your cushions, buy this. However keep in mind the cushions are extremely heavy!! If you don’t adjust the cushions it looks like an unmade bed or worse. Don’t buy RH furniture. I will say in my experience their rugs, sheets, drapes are beautiful, well made, but furniture gets a thumbs down from me, although their styles are captivating.

• Related Discussions

Looking for a Pretty Computer Chair...

Q

Comments (33)
    This is listed as an office chair on HomeDecorators.com. I like it because of the French script on the back. I wonder if it would be conducive to adding casters to. I'm not able to post a pic of the Horchow chair I mentioned above. I'm becoming more drawn to it because of its taller, sleeker shape. I don't know. It just seems like it wouldn't overwhelm a room (especially one in which you don't want it to look like an office). Does anyone know what general type/shape chair that is? I keep thinking that style has a name to it, and that I could possible Google and find one cheaper than $900. Here's the link again: http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=cprod82070001&parentId=cat3270731&masterId=cat000005&index=2&cmCat=cat000000cat000001cat14540731cat000005cat3270731&isEditorial=false Here is a link that might be useful: French Script Chair
    ...See More

Looking for Sofa Recommendations

Q

Comments (38)
    Justerrilyn, what is the name and mfg of the last sofa you posted. If it comes in another color it would be perfect! Thanks for that link jlc, and I also think a nubby texture would look great. Renovatorgirl, I went to the TEU site and they have a surprising range of sofas and fabrics, I will look through them all tomorrow, thank you. Pal, I cannot believe they finally pulled the plug on French check! They have been rotating the colors for years now, making one or two unavailable then bringing them back and pulling another color temporarily off the market, or so the carpet lady told us. Now that nylon rugs are made so much better (and stain resistant) nobody wants to pay for one room what a whole house would cost. The higher end mfgs (Maslan, Stark, etc) have gotten so expensive they are out of reach for most people, and they used to represent just the "best," not the "stratosphere."
    ...See More

Opinions on Pottery Barn Big Sur sofa

Q

Comments (188)
    I've owned several PB couches and I 'almost' bought the Carmel with chaise which is basicaly a slighter version of Big Sur which I also considered. Nope, I'm not risking it. I'm on the verge of ordering a Dream Sofa. The cushions have a three year replacement warranty. There are enough reviews on Reddit and here for me to feel comfortable. We know the depth and firmness we like and they offer multiple types of cushion densities. Their site doesn't' have many 'real' pictures but I spoke personally with a rep who sent me customer picks of the model I was interested in and I am super impressed. They are also sending me samples of their entire line of fabrics in the color range I'm interested in for free. The two performance samples I've tested were easy to clean and attractive. The price for my choices is less than PB w/premium fabric.
    ...See More

Pottery Barn Leather Sofas

Q

Comments (4)
    IMO if you want leather furniture go Italian made Natuzzi has great reputation and their furniture is made to have the insides last as long as the outside. Get a piece that is in their mid price range and the bonus is they have 100s of colors to choose from so not forced to do brown or black.
    ...See More
  • MGAL
    3 years ago

Angela51 that’s exactly what would be a deal breaker for me— I really detest a messy look and it’s stressful for me. Is there a sofa brand or type that has it all? I have looked at RH, Interior Define, Joybird, Ethan Allen, PB, West Elm —

• W J
    3 years ago

Hi everyone,

To add onto this discussion, I have some experience with the Turner Square Arm Leather collection. I currently have a Maple Signature Leather couch with the matching chair and storage ottoman. They are super comfortable and the leather does not scratch easily at all (compared to the Vintage Leather, which easily scratches with a fingernail).

I've had the couch about a week, and I've noticed that I have a super strong odor -- and not the normal leather smell. Almost more like a slight whiff of a vinyl shower curtain included in the heavy smell that I can smell a room away. Is this normal and will this eventually go away? I did confirm it's real leather by looking to make sure there is a hide on the other side of the leather inside the cushion (b/c I was concerned it was faux leather at the start).

It's especially noticeable when sitting on the couch. Also, my shirt will smell like this smell hour later in another room.

My couch was made in early September.

Thanks!

• Mo Miss
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have the maple signature leather Turner sofa as well. I’ve had my sofa for about 5 weeks and the smell is finally gone. I had opened the windows and I believe the smell disappeared after about 3 weeks. Please keep in mind that the weather was very warm during this time. I hope the smell for you dissipates quicker:).

Initially, I wasn’t sure about the leather but it looks and feels more substantial now from use, I love the maple color and it is very comfortable.

• W J
    3 years ago

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that your smell went away! It is very odd and I'm trying to be patient. Long story short, I previously had the same couch, chair, and ottoman in the Vintage Caramel Leather, but had a quality concern. The Vintage Leather didn't have such an initial smell but had significant scratches on it when it was delivered. I do get the impression that the Signature leather should maintain a "new" look down the road better than the Vintage just based on how well this one resists scratches (I feel like dogs could romp on this all day and have no problem, but I'd be extremely careful on the Vintage Leather).

• Mo Miss
    3 years ago

I was told the vintage and statesville leathers scratch easily. I wouldn’t want scratches upon delivery either.

I have the matching James recliner.

I am actually exchanging the Turner sofa for the PB comfort also in maple leather. It was supposed to be 38” deep but it is much deeper. I realize the Turner is more popular so I hope I don’t regret the PB comfort.

My small dog hangs out on the sofa but no scratches...yet.

I hope you enjoy your new sofa..

• Kimberly Clayton-Code
    3 years ago

I'm looking at buying the turner sofa in maple....have it in the cart and almost ready to buy. Are you all happy with yours? Stains? Durability? My other choices are the city sofa from Hancock and Moore or the Arhaus Hadley sofa.... I want this sofa to last at least 10 years.... No young kids and dog who will rub against the sofa but won't climb on it.

• mrykbee
    3 years ago

Kimberley go with the Hancock and Moore.

• HU-187714907
    3 years ago

Is the price difference huge?

• momiss12
    3 years ago

I’ve had the Turner leather sofa In maple for less than 2 months. I have a 8 pound dog that lays on my sofa and it does not have any scratches. This leather doesn’t scratch easily.

It’s very comfortable. It’s a great color.

The Turner is Pottery Barn’s best selling leather sofa.

I think Pottery Barn‘s Customer Service is superb.

Good luck deciding.

• Mo Miss
    3 years ago

I just wanted to add that I wish the maple signature leather would have a more worn in look. It’s getting better but I wish it would go faster.

• Katie Keating
    3 years ago

I have the turner square arm leather couch w lounge in caramel. Just got it in September. My dog has scratched it up already. I love the color but it stinks. It stinks terribly and I feel like it’s just getting worse not better. Also, my boyfriend is a big guy and the couch is already starting to sag in the middle. There is zero support in the middle of the “couch” portion. I absolutely love the look of this couch but the quality just isn’t there

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    3 years ago

I have one, about 2 or 3 yrs old, use everyday, sleep on it etc. Looks great and I love it.

• PRO
    Quality First Remodeling LLC
    3 years ago

I just got the turner square sofa in signature chalk, the paint is already taking off, I wiped it with leather wipes and I already have a big spot of unpainted leather. Same in 2 weeks the base stated making a huge noise when you seat on it. Not sure if I am the only one that has this problem but for sure I want to return it

• HU-539290202
    3 years ago

We purchased two Turner sectionals. One in leather and one upholstered one. We purchased them in 2016.2017. The leather one has kept its firmness but is really scratched up. The upholstered sofa went bad quick. Everything started sagging within a year. The pillows are awful. A lot of money down the drain. I would not recommend

• Christine Cashen
    3 years ago

Has anyone had experience with Pottery Barn’s Performance Everydaylinen fabrics on a sectional or couch? Their performance fabrics are supposed to hold up better but I am just about to order a sectional so I don’t have first-hand experience with it.

• kellebpmac
    3 years ago

Where is I’m the turner leather couch made? Made in USA?

• W J
    3 years ago

My leather turner square arm was made at Williams-Sonoma's Sutter Street Manufacturing location in Claremont, NC. The couch has a "Crafted in America" patch with an American flag beneath the middle cushion. I believe most of the leather comes from elsewhere in the world. The leather samples in the Pottery Barn store sometimes tell you where -- I've seen everywhere from South America to China.

• momiss12
    3 years ago

• swampchick
    3 years ago

My Turner vintage caramel couch is peeling. It is less than 1 year old. I ordered two. Only one is peeling. They both get the same light use. No kids or pets. It's very perplexing since I have not heard of issues like this from others. I have not found that it scratches easily. It looks as if the leather is just wearing off. I love the style of the couch so am disappointed in the issue. PB has offered to replace or credit us but not sure if I will have the same issue again if I simply replace. So frustrating.

• Jessica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So much good info and advice, thank you! Been looking at different manufacturers. But I can’t seem to find a couch that looks like this pottery barn Turner. Has anyone had any luck with this?

• PRO
    Wellington's Fine Leather Furniture
    3 years ago

Take a look at Omnia Leather and Mckinley Leather furniture. They both have similar styles and they are made in the USA!

• Jessica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

On advice in this thread, started pricing other manufacturers. Priced the attached configuration from Hancock and Moore. The starting price for leather was $17k, and went up to $28k for top grade leather. This seems wild - is this what it costs to get a good quality leather couch??

• PRO
    Wellington's Fine Leather Furniture
    3 years ago

There are many other high quality leather furniture manufactures that are made in NC that will price much lower. Leathercraft, Classic Leather and Carolina Custom to name a few.

• frogers28
    3 years ago

Just got the grand turner leather couch, are the back cushions supposed to be Velcro to the back or anything to keep the cushions up in place or will I forever be putting them back up in place ?

• kathymarko
    3 years ago

Hancock and Moore is quite expensive, but you won't find many couches made better. We have had the Laurel Sofa for 14 years. The body is leather and the cushions are upholsterered. I just had Hancock and Moore make new casings for me because I was tired of the fabric....other than that, the couch looks brand new..three boys and two dogs later!

• amberstjohn
    3 years ago

I purchased the Turner Slope Arm Leather Grand Sofa, 104.5 inch, Vintage Caramel Leather. Upon delivery on 12/29, there were discolorations as if during the staining process someone had wiped their fingers across the front of one of the cushions. PB said the sofa could stay in my house while they ordered another one. Within 3 weeks, the couch started squeaking - loudly. The couch has no middle support legs, which seems bad already. We have no kids or dogs, and my husband and I are both slim people, so this is not an instance of lots of weight on the sofa. When I spoke to customer service about this, they claimed that it's just a bad sofa, they've had no complaints about squeaking, and I should just wait for the replacement - and if it does the same thing, they will replace it again. Ummm....sorry, that's not making me feel too great. I saw one person post about their sofa making noise, has anyone else encountered this?

• swampchick
    3 years ago

amberstjohn, my two Turner Slope Arms sofas were picked up today. They were returned due to leather peeling, but before they could be picked up, one had also started squeaking.

• cshortes
    3 years ago

I have had a Turner square armed sofa with nailheads for 4. months and the cushions already need to be replaced. Sagging in the middle where we sit. Very disappointing for an expensive sofa. This sofa is the first thing I've ever purchased from Pottery Barn. And the last.

• Jennifer Hilliard
    3 years ago

We purchased the turner roll arm grand sofa in upholstered (oatmeal park weave). Have had it for 5 years now and with two rambunctious tweens and two cats and two adults ... it’s the BEST most comfortable and awesome sofa! No sagging , and I love that I can unzip the back and seat cushion covers and machine wash (I usually air dry) every few months! I can’t bear to part with it even after we bought a bigger house recently and I really really want this in the sectional for our family room now! Just the $6k price tag whew!

• Deb Strahler
    2 years ago

My James recliner in grey wolf leather started wearing and sqeaking after a year. PB refused to send a repair saying it was normal wear. The Lane leather recliner I

had for 20 years and a fraction of the cost was much higher quaility. Will never buy PB again.

• Ashley Day
    2 years ago

We have had the Turner sofa and chair for less thsb a year now and i have been nothing short but disapponted. not onky did it come damaged with two spots where the color wasnt there but the scratching has just been absoluteky awful. We noticed the scartdhing to begin right away and when i contacted pottery barn they told me this was part of the normal breaking in process. However i have spoken to other professionals and did my own research and this is not normal. i would not recommned purchasing this sofa.

Just sharing a few photos of the damage.

• k newhart
    2 years ago

I just received the Turner Rolled Arm sofa in the signature leather Adriatic Blue, it is beautiful. BUT I already contacted PB regarding the wrinkled cushions, seems like they are wrinkled like we have had this for years. There was also a small damaged spot on the back of it, not noticeable to anyone but me. PB immediately offered to send me another sofa but I cannot get the Adriatic Blue color, it has been discontinued. So, because I love the color so much I am keeping it & PB gave me a refund of $300. I am hoping to eventually get new inserts for the seat cushions, they are foam with a layer of down on top, they are not wrapped in down as described on the website. Time will tell on the wear & tear. Its also a very low profile sofa which I didn't expect. It is very comfy but not the quality of my Natuzzi leather sofa. The Natuzzi lasts forever for us.

• Amanda Haney
    2 years ago

The cushions are awful. They lose their shape, the leather fades and wears oddly. The rectangle arms are misshapen bc the foam has slid so they bow. Pottery Barn's customer service was horrible. Basically told me I was out of luck. I won't be shopping at PB in the future. If I pay that much for a couch I expect it to last and the company to back their product.

• Jeff Meeks
    2 years ago

I'd avoid the big "trendy" companies like PB and go with an established sofa manufacturer like Lee or Stickley.

• Nash Sr
    2 years ago

Did anyones couch smell like real leather when you got it.? we got ours a couple of weeks back and theres no leather smell. the ones in the store look and feel like real leather

• Vdezern Dezern
    last year

So i have the Turner Square arm sofa in the 103.5” length in burnished saddle. I purchased for $500 from a friend who was redecorating and it was like new. Score! My conplaints (and fixes) for the sofa are as follows: 1) The aofa sits very low to the floor. My husband has promised to fashion new legs and I already have had the stain on the old ones matched at Sherwin Williams. Just waiting for hubby… 2) The back cushions that are leaned against most frequently become flat and misshapen very quickly. The best fix for this is to purchase inexpensive poly filled bed pillows from Walmart and, depending on how much you need, either place the whole pillow inside or remove some of he fill and reshape by adding this to your cushions. New cushions from PB were cost prohibitive when I looked into it. 3) The leather does scratch easily. We acquired a large ragdoll cat (15 lbs) dueing Covid quarantine and didnt realize the issue until after. Keep those nails trimmed! My husband has a leather refinisher that can make the leather like new but most scratches are on the back non-cushioned portion of the sofa and the cat still exists, so we haven’t taken the sofa in at this point. Tips: I clean my cushions with distilled water and a soft cloth as needed and remove cushions and vacuum all of thr fabric on sofa weekly. What I love about the sofa: 1) It’s VERY deep. I’m 5’4 and can sit indian style or curl up comfortably on less than 1 cushion! My husband and I can lay side by side to watch a movie. Usually I end up being slowly pushed off a sofa in these circumstances, but not with this sofa. 2) It’s incredibly comfortable! It’s hard not to fall asleep on this sofa y’all! My husband spent a week on it when I had covid and vice versa (we don’t have a guest room and this sofa is so much more comfortable than the fold out in the bonus room lol!). 3) The extra long sofa means more peeps can sit comfortably. It’s also great in a loooonnngg living room like ours. 4) The style! The sofa is gorgeous, enough said. It can go traditional, boho, traditional, modern, cottage, farmhouse, etc. I don’t think I would have been AS happy if i had paid the full 3500 for the sofa. I probably would have gone with a lighter color, but I would purchase the sofa knowing what I do now, in a lighter color, if this deal had not fallen in my lap. Hope this helps!!

• Shelley Baker
    last year

I agree completely with Vdezern, except the depth of the couch is actually a negative for me.
    I got the couch in one of the darker caramels to hide scratches better. We are super hard on our furniture, but it still looks great after several years.
    My negatives are the same as Vdezern’s. I constantly stub my toes on the legs. They make the couch too low to the ground and they are too wide. I also cannot seam to find a alternative leg that I can replace these with. I get why Vdezern is having her husband make her new ones.
    And the back cushions became very misshapen very quickly.

• User
    last year

@Vdezern Dezern Do you have any pics of the burnished saddle leather? I am trying to decide on a leather for a desk chai, and the samples are too small to make a decison.

• c c
    9 months ago

Stay away from the Pottery Barn Turner sofa. 6 years in multiple inserts in the sectional should be replaced and Pottery Barn said go kick rocks they don't sell replacement inserts.

• c c
    9 months ago

• Vdezern Dezern
    9 months ago

Oh, wow! Did they stop making inserts?? i thought they were too expensive and just added the stuffing from cheap bed pillows i bought at walmart for this purpose.

• Vdezern Dezern
    9 months ago

• c c
    9 months ago

We might have to go this route lol. Will try to reach out to manufacturer first.

• Joey Narciso
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

103.5" Churchville

. They're ! !! ?? .

• Joey Narciso
    8 months ago

Didn't . ??? Can't answered . . . ?? ...

• Joey Narciso
    8 months ago

!! .....

• craigsara
    8 months ago

We have a Pottery Barn Wells leather chair. The grey leather has turned a sickly green, discolored in spots. Another friend had to have her Pottery Barn sofas redyed because the leather discolored. I would not buy leather furniture from Pottery Barn

• HU-658799581
    6 months ago

I was set on the Turner grand and found one at my PB outlet for $2200. It’s statesville toffee and I love the color. It does scratch easily but I try to be careful and have one end covered with a throw for my dog. The shape/support is still pretty much like new and we still love it. I also have a James recliner in legacy chocolate and that leather is SUPER durable.