SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelsey_smithxo

help! wine or blue coloured shutters/door?

Girlmom101
5 years ago
hello!
Does anyone have an app to change the colour of shutters to see what it looks like? trying to figure out if blue ( possible navy ) shutters would look good and or the door. any suggestions on colours ? I like blue. just not sure if both the shutters and door should be painted the same colour. door is currently white as shown in photo so will be painting that deffinately. all advise is appreciated!! thank you very much :)

Comments (380)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I do like black shutters and door.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    4 years ago

here.

• Related Discussions

PHOTOSHOPPERS: Shutter and Door Color Help!

Q

Comments (2)
    Pics would help. LOL
    ...See More

Exterior colors help wanted - shutters/garage door/balcony french door

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Cindy, the brick is "Old Orleans" by Cherokee brick. Its a great looking brick with lots of character. The mortar was rubbed over the brick to achieve the aged look. I put the same post in the home decorating forum with a couple more up close pictures if you care to see any more of this brick.
    ...See More

Door and shutter colors (help!)

Q

Comments (4)
    The paint is so neutral you can do anything on the shutters and door. I’m in the south where shutters are almost always black or Charleston green (a super dark green). The door could be anything- yellow, purple, pink. Have fun. Get a couple pots with annuals by the door that repeats the door color.
    ...See More

Color help with shutters, garage, and door

Q

Comments (10)
    May we see your actual house without the mock up additions you've made, plus a close-up of the brick work for color reference? Are the colors you're suggesting part of the HOA's options? You might want to track down exactly what they want color-wise. Yes, they probably think the vestigial shutters are high style and unify the look of the community, so I doubt you can simply remove them. Start with the HOA and then bring your limited selections here for a final decision. Agree with removing the arched window inserts in the garage doors. I don't see the need for carriage hardware. Instead, spend the money to upgrade and beef up all the exterior lighting. Lights should all be 1/3 of the front door's height.
    ...See More
  • Girlmom101
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Flo, as far as I know it isn't too high or at least doesnt appear that way when your up on porch. Might just be the angle... Do you think there's anything else i could add to the front porch area to enhance the overall look? I will add some garland when decorating. As you can see the path is now paved.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'd love to hear peoples suggestions on anything exterior!

Now that the porch and path are done we are trying to find other things to do! LOL Christopher any suggestions?

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

How about a tall planter under your house number with some seasonal mums in it? You could change out the plantings to a small evergreen for winter and then add spring and summer plantings.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    4 years ago

katinparadise could you share a photo of a planter that you think would look good? I'm trying to see a picture in my head

• christoper
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi again CC it is coming along. Glad you kept the Hostas. Move the pumpkin to front of milk container....which I love. I still believe you need a stair railing. It looks unfinished, please consider it, for safety as well.

It may be required by building code and your insurance (if someone falls on the stairs the insurance company may not pay out if there isn't a railing.)

• christoper
    4 years ago

you might also move the number 4, center it under the lantern.

A small side table on the porch would be useful and give the space more weight. It would also be very useful for seasonal decor. Keep it small. You may still be able to find them on seasonal sale. Keep your eye out for a large black lantern (Home Sense) is a great source.

• christoper
    4 years ago

These lanterns can be moved inside as well. They are useful on tables as well as on deck floors with other decor. A staple in decor items.

• christoper
    4 years ago

another galvanized item, maybe a large pail, a pitcher, would reinforce the milk can. That would allow you to put tall grasses curly willow etc in the milk can and flowers in the pail or jug. Spray paint a 20" or so sized rock and put beside the rock beside the stairs for pizzazz. painted rock could also go beside/in front of milk can. A wood crate would also be nice with the milk can. You could utilize it to display seasonal items and lantern etc.

• christoper
    4 years ago

a hydrangea bush under each shutter would give year round interest and they are easy to grow.

They should do well in your climate and look great with snow on them.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

hi everyone, long time no see. I've decided I dont necessarily like the blue door anymore. it clashes with everything else so we are thinking of scraping off the paint (it's a steel door) and keeping it white or painting it black. I feel if we go with black it may look too dark... any thoughts or advice?

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

bump

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Since most of the door is covered by the white storm door, I would just go ahead and paint the door white as well. I think it would look more cohesive that way.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

there is no storm door there anymore

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Are your shutters black or blue? Can’t remember!

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

If the shutters are black, I would paint the door black as well.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

they are black .I cant picture the door black.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm worried that if I try and scrape the blue paint off that the white metal door will be tinged blue or something.. worried black will look too dark :(

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Are we back to a red door? Lol.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

no red door flo. at this point I'm debating between black and white but worried black will be too dark and unsure of how to get it back to white

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

You won't need to scrape the paint off the door. What you will need is a good, sticky primer for the new paint to stick to. A light sanding, two coats of primer, along with two coats of exterior paint, should do the trick. Usually, you would paint the front door in a gloss finish. Honestly, if you're not sure about black, I would try to find another color besides white for the door. I had brick on my house and did a pretty teal/dark green. Try the Zinsser extreme adhesion primer. What do you think of BM North Sea Green? It has a bit of black in it and would look pretty with your brick and shutters.

• tgb1
    3 years ago

I think it might help if you provided us with a current pic of the entire front of your house.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

current.

• Denita
    3 years ago

Consider adding landscaping to your home.

• tgb1
    3 years ago

I like the blue door. If you go back to white it will look like a sea of white imo.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just feel the blue looks out of place. I really dont want a black door.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I feel with the warm gray brick, white siding, black shutters and a colour on door it just looks to busy . like too much is going on.

• Denita
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

To me, the shutters are what throws off the exterior. You have beautiful, wide, wonderful contemporary windows that have small cottage type shutters attached to them. If you landscape than that "missing" feeling will go away. Removing the shutters is the right thing to do https://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/, but IIRC you want them to stay. If you keep them or remove them, landscaping is the next step IMO.

The door color is personal to you. Your home is white and can support almost any front door color. If you choose white, then you are choosing to blend in the front door with your house color which means you need appropriate landscaping even more. Personally, I think white for your home doesn't work because it would make the other features stand out (shutters and lack of landscaping). At least with a color on your front door, the focus is brought to your front entry.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I was told by so many people on here to go with black shutters :( ..ugh I really went too far with this one. removing the shifters makes the top half of my home look very bare. I didnt like the look of it. maybe I should have gone with a lighter colour shutter. either way I feel lost now and dont know what to tackle.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

what looks better white door or blue door?

• eld6161
    3 years ago

I have a similar home. But I have more brick. I have black shutters and a white door, white sUsing.

It lookS fine. Stop over thinking. The stoop is a nice edition.

• Denita
    3 years ago

This website has many people that like shutters even on the wrong windows and others, like me, that see the mismatch when shutters are on the wrong type of window or are the wrong size. When you have contemporary windows, then cottage shutters just don't work. That's why I posted the link from an architect so you can see what does and doesn't work with shutters. Take your time and come up with a plan that works for you.

Start with a landscape designer at a local nursery or post your entire front of the house in the landscape forum here so they can help you with a plan. Right now you have no trees visible in the pics and no landscape plan. Landscaping makes a world of difference. But it does need to be planned to work well. Many people don't know that...they do the plop method (my made up term for unplanned planting beds) which doesn't work well.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

eld6161 so you recommend going back to white for the door?

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

hi Denita. I did read that article. our house is surrounded by trees. I've attached a photo.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

hi Denita. I did read that article. our house is surrounded by trees. I've attached a photo.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Cc- here are some ideas. I love the red color.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Black or white will disappear! Imho

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Two more. Different tones of yellow.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

flo, I love what you did! they all look great but I cant keep noticing the 4 colours on the house. maybe if the brick was white it would be better but to me it just feels busy and not us. if we do decide to go with a white door, would you recommend doing a bright white (the house is an off white...see photo attached to see what the white door looked like next to siding in the first place) or would you try and match the same white to the siding.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

flo are you able to edit the door black just to get an idea of how it would look??

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Here you go. I would definitely NOT do white door. It would make your siding look old and yellowed. Your eye goes to places you don’t like, but most people will just see the big picture. Your landscaping is area where you could make great curb appeal and give you higher value with moderate investment.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

flo I dont see your attachment:(

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Opps! Lol

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

flo what if I chose a white similar to the siding? not bright

• Denita
    3 years ago

If your door is similar to the siding color the front door will disappear into the siding.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

What Denita says.

• Girlmom101
    Original Author
    3 years ago

are you able to see this photo? its updated

• christoper
    3 years ago

hi CC. as Flo said, please don't paint it white. Your front door welcomes guests. Make it a statement. Don't play it too safe. Why are you so afraid of 4 colours? Your home can take 4. and your colours are all neutrals. You may want to beef up the trim around your door to give it more prominence. it will add volume to the area and make it more of a statement. You might think about upping the landscape on the right. You were given a lot of good info on that area last year.