SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Master bath and closet remodel/reconfiguration - where to start?

This is probably a dumb question, but I am struggling to figure out the first step in a much-needed master bath and closet remodel. The master bath and closet, along with a guest bedroom closet and linen closet, are shoehorned into a space that measures approximately 14x6, with only 6x6 of that given to the bathroom. I would like to reconfigure the space to enlarge the bath (to at least 7x6 and possibly larger), and redo the master closet (and the others as necessary) at the same time.

I have some ideas of my own about how to reconfigure the space, but I don't know if there will be limitations as to how far walls/plumbing can move, etc. I have a budget in mind for the project, but it's very difficult to know whether it's realistic when I truly have no idea what the scope of the work might be. Is my best bet to consult a designer and pay to have a design drawn up, then shop it around to contractors to get an idea of at least the labor costs (I know fixtures and tile vary massively, but knowing what the bones would cost would help me decide how much I can spend on the pretty stuff)? Or would a contractor consult be a better first step, since they might be better able to tell me whether a reconfiguration is even structurally realistic? Would appreciate your advice. I'm happy to post a floor plan of the area in question as well if anyone here would like to take a crack at a redesign!

Comments (4)