SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zouye

lowering kitchen island -good or bad idea?

zouye
5 years ago
Hello,

We are designing our new kitchen in the new house.

I really could use some help in deciding on whether lowering part of the island is a good idea. Our kitchen island currently is 105”x54”. It has our main kitchen sink on it, dishwasher, drawers for knives, cutting boards and pots. On the other side of the island we have 12” overhand and 16”cabinets to store seasonal kitchen items. We need every inch of that storage. Behind island we have 58” of space but we can’t put any cabinetry there because we have huge pocket doors hiding in those walls. Kitchen is modern two tone (wood and white) with flat door cabinets.

We also have small kids (6 and 4) and chances are they are going to do their homework in the kitchen.

Should I lower seating area of my island by 6” to make it easier for them to sit there? I our current kitchen we have a counter high seating are and they are not comfortable enough to eat or write there unless they are in 30-32” high bar stools.

If I lower island my main island with prep area will be 40” and I will have to put shorter doors on 16” cabinets that are on the overhang side but I can make overhang be 18” and still have 52” of clearance for stools.

Here are some pictures of what it would look like and planner 5D rendering.

Do you guys think it’s a bad idea? Visually does it make sense? Does it make sense from practicality point? Anyone has that set up? If so do you mind sharing pictures?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Zouye

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz