SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misha_britan

What do I check next on my HVAC unit? Swapped blue and yellow wires.

Misha Misha
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello, I have a 0.75HP Carrier HVAC unit, which works almost perfectly. One issue is that after running heat(but AC has no issues) for about 20min, it shuts down with only the blower motor running as if to take a break and to cool down. I can also see that it flashes code 33, which says that the High Limit Switch was tripped. Past this, I got some good advice, actually from a guy at Home Depot. He said to check for continuity on the 3 limit switches after the furnace turned off to find which is tripping. I did that and found that the one going into the chamber, L180-20F HLS had indeed overheated as it showed an open line on my ohmmeter. I ordered another ($10 Amazon), installed and same thing. Next, as my new HD friend suggested, I tried swapping wires on the board to increase the fan speed. Swapped blue(from heat to spare) with yellow(from spare to heat). After turning it on this way, it did seem to push more air(based on noise), and indeed, it no longer restarted or overheated. So what can I learn from this, besides that Home Depot really does have some true experts? Does it seem like I will need a new fan, or the coils are dirty, or where should I investigate next? Or I should leave it with this new configuration? Thank you.

Comments (5)