SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b_crumley33

Hibiscus mystery holes

Bruce
5 years ago

Greetings all, and thanks in advance for any reflections on my hole-y hibiscus enigma.

Something is chewing holes (inward out) on the leaves of my hibiscus. It also goes after bloomed flowers (usually holes, but -- per pics -- also the edges), and occasionally will attack a bud -- at which time it devours most of the thing in a single go. It ranges all the way across the large plant, but only at the outer perimeter (ie. not finding any chewing beyond surface foliage).

It seems to work at night, and isn't anything I'm finding during inspection (unlike a pair of caterpillar-is worms I found last spring). As visible in two of the pics, it also leaves what I thought were seed fallout from surrounding plants (which it leaves alone), but which I now realize -- duh! -- is its deposits of digested and ejected hibiscus din-dins as it loads up on more.

Lavish spraying of Neem solution and garden center insecticide do nothing. Meantime, I'm two stories up and on a small terrace, so if a rodent did get up here (do mice even eat plants?), I'd have probably seen it by now -- especially with it likely to sneak inside to get people food.

So I have no idea what it could be. The scat makes insects seem too small, but rodents seem unlikely. And why only at night? In any case, should anyone have any Columbo-esque clues or solutions to my mystery, I'd be most obliged.

Bruce in Biarritz

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH