SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

2 BIG Black Bears 10 Feet Off my Bedroon Door at 7:30 This Morning!!!

LynnNM
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

This morning around 7:30 I heard an odd metallic scraping sound coming from my back yard area. We have several acres here, so I don't technically have a yard like most of you do. Anyhoo, I looked out my door wall, which was open, although the screen door in it was closed, and there not 10 feet from the door was a huge mother bear and her large juvenile cub! The mother was chewing on one of my hummingbird feeders and the cub was chewing on my very pricey big seed cylinder and holder. We've had bears here many times before, but NEVER during daylight hours!

I quickly grabbed my cell phone and took one pic through the screen door. In retrospect, I should have moved over a bit and shot through the door wall instead, but I was very shocked and not thinking straight. I then set it to record a video, but again through the screen door for the first minute or so. The mother then walked to the back of our property and easily scooted under the barbed wire fence, leaving the cub (which surprised me) still chewing on my large seed cylinder. I felt more safe then, although I probably shouldn't have, and stepped outside to continue videoing him. After a minute, he scooted off towards his mom and I watched them head towards my neighbor's back portal. Anyhoo, I immediately called my neighbor, as I was worried about her dog. While she called our other neighbors to warn them, I called our local grade school for them to warn all the bus drivers. And then I quickly posted a warning on our local Next Door website. Finally, I called our local Fish & Game, and they sent someone out to look for them.

When I calmed down enough, I checked around our house and found that they'd first hit all the feeders on my front portal (porch). What a mess! They then apparently headed around the side of my house and tore that feeder down. In the back, they'd torn all three of my feeders apart. Yes, I totally know that you shouldn't leave them out overnight, but we put ours out around 6:30AM which, until today, has always been safe.

So, I'll try to attach pics I took next. This first one is the still I copied off the video. Sorry , but I shot this part through the screen door thinking I was safe that way (LOL)! The cub is on the ground behind the tree bed circled in white rocks.

Taken after the bears left (below).

Comments (20)