SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Palatine Roses - your best purchase?

prairiemoon2 z6b MA
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm having a hard time making an order. I'm trying to look at what they offer and researching them on HelpMeFind. It seems that a lot of the enthusiastic description on their site, is not in line with what growers are reporting their experiences are. So there's a little bit of a disconnect for me. Yet, a lot of forum members here, are very happy with Palatine.

For instance, Palatine has a 'healthy' category and a 'very healthy' category. Neither of which Pope John Paul II is designated on their site. But on HMF site, the member ratings show it to be excellent for disease resistance and excellent across the board. While 'Dark Desire' on Palatine - is listed as very healthy, very fragrant, which I am looking for, but on the HMF site, there's not one 'excellent' in the member ratings. Fragrance is a good minus, as is quantity of bloom. And some member comments would discourage me from buying it, yet, that is the rose they recommended.

So, maybe those of you who have made purchases from Palatine, can share which roses you've purchased that have been successful for you, that you are happy you purchased after growing them awhile. My main criteria are disease resistance and fragrance.

Comments (52)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I agree that all growers are 'selling' plants and the info on their site has to be taken with that in mind. That's why I'm asking for experiences from forum members about what they've purchased that's been successful for them. Specifically from Palatine. I can sort through what is more relevant to my area. If someone is in zone 10 California, or PNW z8 - then I'd guess your experiences are not going to be as helpful to me, but I'm not the only person reading the thread. I may have asked the question, but someone from California might be searching the forum at some future date and find your responses more helpful to them.

I don't have any particular rose in mind. I don't get to a lot of gardens to see roses in person. I know I'm always disappointed with a rose that is pretty, but when you stick your nose in it, there's little to no fragrance. And I grow organically, so disease resistance is important to me. So that's my main criteria, fragrant and healthy. So, if anyone has planted a rose they bought at Palatine and it turned out to be fragrant and healthy, well that's a starting place for me.

I've read a number of threads, where people are very excited to share the order they are placing with a rose grower, Palatine as well, but, that's not the same thing as having grown the rose for a year or so and what you think about your purchase at that point and how it compares to other roses you've grown. That was the kind of information I was looking for.

• oldrosarian
    5 years ago

When a gardener gives a description on a rose, they are basing it on their climatic conditions, soil, fertilizing routine and from whom they purchased the rose from. Not many people have the perfect setup for all those conditions. The descriptions you get from Palatine are from their growing site. As they are trained rosarians, I would expect them to grow roses better than I can and therefore get better results. The secret to growing "perfect roses" is to make sure you buy the rose from a well known and respected rose nursery. Buying it from anyone else might mean you will pay for their lack of real knowledge about roses and the growing of them. Many garden centres carry roses because they know they are a money maker.

Also don't forget that roses have a personality, some which will drive you around the bend.

• Related Discussions

Palatine Roses

Q

Comments (16)
    I just want to update on my Palatine roses. Every one of the 6 is growing exceptionally well and are blooming very well. These have just been so easy to raise. They have never worried me a whit about dying. Masquerade took it's sweet time to get going but now that it has it is blooming well and they look just like the pictures on the website. They are gorgeous. Perfect Moment, Magma, Paradise, and Memoire are also just chugging right along producing good blooms on good healthy and sturdy plants. I have an order already started with Rahel for some roses for next spring so I make sure to get them before they run out this time. I really want the climber Roberta Bondar and hope reality lives up to its' pictures and reputation. I only hope that the folks at Palatine increase their selection, though, if that would mean sacrificing any of the quality they currently offer, I wouldn't change a thing at all. John
    ...See More

Rose order from palatine for Southern California.

Q

Comments (8)
    The only caution I would offer is ... what rootstock are these roses on? In the U.S., 'Dr. Huey' is most-common, and it tolerates SoCal soils and water well. In some places, 'Fortuniana' is used -- and it, too, is great in SoCal soils. But at least some Canadian growers use Multiflora rootstock. That rootstock does NOT tolerate alkaline conditions very well. If you live in an area where there are, or have been walnut orchards, and/or Oak Trees, your soil may be in the slightly- acidic range. In some parts of SoCal, though, the soils and water are in the alkaline range. I had recurrent chlorosis problems here, with roses growing on multiflora rootstock. I think that, now, I have only one rose remaining on Multiflora. Thank God. Jeri
    ...See More

Palatine roses

Q

Comments (5)
    I will second Ceterum's acknowledgement on the quality of Palatine's bareroots. I will further add that this family owned and operated business is a true pleasure to conduct business with. They are immensely accomodating, friendly and knowledgeable about the roses they grow. The size of the Palatine bare-roots, the quality of the canes and the general garden performance truly exceeded any other rose vendor I have dealt with to date. Although their selection is still somewhat limited and has a definite predominance of Kordes bred varities, they now ship to the US and I believe them to be the best source of grafted roses on multi-flora that you will find in Canada and likely North America. I have been a long-time customer of Pickering nurseries and still believe they have excellent bare-root roses and a fanastic selection, but that their customer service skills have been lacking in recent years. Although I have not experienced it directly, many have complained about inferior quality plants since they moved from Pickering to a new location in Port Hope. They still deserve the excellent international reputation they carry in the industry, but here is to hoping they correct some of their recent deficencies. In either case, Palatine roses is a source that should be tried and will provide you with a more than viable alternative to excellent roses grafted on multiflora.
    ...See More

NEW PALATINE ROSES !!!! Out of my way!!

Q

Comments (176)
    Here's hoping the spring flush will be preceded by a very wet winter in California. My plot looks like a desert landscape with a few trees stuck in here and there. The squirrels have denuded the hillside and thrown tons of dirt and stones onto the concrete, and neither hubby nor I are any longer able to cope. I advise you all not to get autoimmune diseases because they will drain you dry. The one my husband has was unknown and unnamed until about five years ago, and my theory is that they are caused by a toxic environment and all the artificial substances we use, eat and drink which overwhelm the body's immune system and slowly destroy it. It's just another way we are destroying ourselves and the environment since sooner or later all that stuff enters the soil, water and atmosphere. Until they find out otherwise it's as good a theory as any, I say.
    ...See More
  • Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    5 years ago

Pairiemoon,

To contribute further to your disconnect, not intentionally, my two grafted (probably Dr. Huey), Pope John Paul II are black spot magnets in my garden, among the worst, not as bad as Angel Face, but not far behind.

The reason I grow PJP II is because if faithfully sprayed, it stays clean, and it blooms its head off with the most pristinely beautiful blooms having a rich fragrance. There's hardly a rose that repeats as quickly for me other than Bolero, Sweet Fragrance and Beverly. Their short stature for me, max. 18" , makes them prefect for the front of my rose bed.

Moses

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

Any hybrid tea is out for me as far as disease resistance is concerned.

Caramel Fairy Tale. It is just as disease resistant as Blushing Knock Out in my garden. Floral Fairy Tale is pretty good for most of the season, but I'm seeing some Cercospora now.

• Margaret Gauthier
    5 years ago

I have some of those roses, although I didn't purchase them from Palatine. I made my first Palatine purchase this year and won't be receiving my roses until next spring.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

Ascot has been one of my favorites this year !! It is vigorously growing , and so pretty . No scent and lately had only bloomed on top of long caves but I really love the blooms so I don’t mind .

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    5 years ago

Healthy here and fragrant - La Rose de Molinard and Soer Emanuelle.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    5 years ago

I really like ordering roses from Palatine. PJPII from Palatine is a bloom machine. I do spray and what I’ve noticed is that PJPII is prone to spider mites. Japanese Beetles and thrips love the blooms. Palatine’s rootstock is Multiflora and that could be a plus or minus in your garden. Sometimes it is just the right or wrong variety for your garden and this forum is very helpful in trying figure it out.

prairiemoon2 z6b MA thanked kentucky_rose zone 6
  • Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Dingo2001 - I ordered La Rose de Molinard from Palatine and will be receiving it next month. I live in northern California, a completely different climate from you but what has been your experience with it? I'm concerned that the rose might be too droopy but I've seen photos where it appears to grow upright. How is the fragrance for you and does it make a good cut flower?

Thank you,

Ann

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    5 years ago

Ann it grows upright, and has awesome rebloom. I didn’t do hardly anything in the garden this year - nothing got any fertilizer till late July, and no water (no rain here for most of July). Lots of weed competition :). Pics below, it’s been raining here all day, so the blooms look more droopy than they really are. Scent is delicious, I can’t tell you much on the cut flower quality, I think I’ve cut this one & brought it in, but no idea how long it lasts, sorry. I received this spring of 2017, and have another on order for next year. I also really like Sunset Dreams, but it is not super fragrant

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

! Beautiful roses everyone! Kentucky Rose, what is the soil like in your neck of the woods? Just wondering how multiflora would do here.

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Thank you so much Dingo!

Ann

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

I will say that the healthiest roses that I recieved came from palatine

Huge root system. But I dont know about multi flora. In my yard all of the plants got gynormous.

The one rose that has been dissapointing is Rock and Roll. It doesn't bloom much at all

On the other hand All American Magic blooms continuously

• erasmus_gw
    5 years ago

My best plants from Palatine are Red Intuition, Soeur Emanuelle, Ipsilante, Le Petite Prince, and Ascot. I was told that Red Intuition is a florist's rose, not a good garden plant, but it has been a great garden plant grafted and probably would do well own root. Brocelliande has also been good after a rocky first year.

I got one Palatine order in fall 2016 I think it was. I potted up some of them and didn't plant those in the ground for awhile. Some of those didn't do well. Mainly Belle sans Flatterie and Tour de Malakoff. Not sure why. I have heard that roses grafted on multiflora don't do well in the SE but multiflora does well in the SE so that doesn't make sense to me.

They send beautiful bare roots and I like how they do business. They are helpful, courteous, communicative, flexible in that they'll let you add to your order, and they're just pleasant and professional.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    5 years ago

Vaprovac,

We have some clay, but I haven’t noticed any problems associated with multiflora. Beverly, Poseidon, St. Patrick, South Africa, and PJPII have done great. Rina Hugo and Bride’s Dream not so great, but they were not so great on Dr. Huey for me, also. Love Rainbow Niagara, another Palatine, but it is prone for BS. I ordered 3 more for 2019, gorgeous bloom, worth the trouble.

5 years ago

Still blooming her pretty little head off. Another Palatine rose. Sunset Dreams

She was so close to the shovel. But the end of year 2 she is a favorite.

Bush shot

Buy the way, All American Magic is not a Palatine rose

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Thank you Kentucky Rose. Erasmus Oh, I thought the same thing about multiflora. If it grows wild in a place why wouldn't the rootstock do well there too? I think I'll take advantage of the sale next year I have too many this this year unfortunately :-(

• gdinieontarioz5
    5 years ago

My Nahéma from Palatine is fragrant and healthy. Second year here on improved alkaline clay.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I’ve been following along and looking up some of these names and seeing if they are available from Palatine now. I am going to order today, just trying to finalize my order.

I had decided on Pope John Paul II as the first rose I was sure I wanted. And while Moses reports BS - on HMF 25 people rated it excellent for disease resistance. Among other good qualities. So I’m going to give it a try, there seems to be a chance that it might work out okay for me.

I was very enthusiastic about ordering Laguna. I love the look of it and it has the very healthy and very fragrant qualities. But, after reading about one person’s experiences with a ‘too vigorous’ very thorny bush, I reluctantly gave up on that idea. I don’t have the room for something like that.

I have wanted Quietness and Belinda’s Dream, Lady Ashe and Autumn Sunset that were mentioned on the Westerland thread, but Palatine is not offering them right now.

I’ve seen a few Delbard roses that I like that some of you have mentioned. Chartreuse de Parme, Soeur Emanuelle, and I’m still considering them.

I thought a lot about a red rose, that I started out looking for, but had a hard time finding one I liked enough that had the fragrance and disease resistance and /or vigor. I thought about Mr. Lincoln and Oklahoma and Ascot all for a bit, but found the info on Firefighter, persuasive, so if I went with a red, I guess it would be that one I’d try. But Palatine doesn’t offer it.

There are a lot of pinks to consider. I thought about Earth Angel and Nahema for a bit, but more pale pink than I wanted. And after choosing Savannah, I think I am leaning toward a Mauve.

I’d ideally love to have a mauve with a red with white and a touch of yellow in the garden. I have the yellow, PJPII will b the white, and Savannah the pink. But I’m going to leave off getting the red for now. That leaves a Mauve rose.

I liked the color of Twilight Zone that Palatine offers but maybe not the bloom form but I’m considering it. I realized that I did buy Ebb Tide at one point and it was not disease resistant enough and I don’t have it any more. But that is the dark end of mauve, more a purple. ET is the parent of TZ? I also like Memorial Day that Palatine doesn’t offer, but sometimes it looks pink in photos, and Petitie Prince which I think is smaller than I am looking for, and Poseidon. They are all that light mauve color that I think I will like. If Memorial Day is really mauve and not pink, I'd be leaning toward her because of the strong fragrance.

Then I started looking at Cream Veranda and while it is light on fragrance from what I can determine, it is short 2.5ft and I thought of another place I could use it. And if the other roses are fragrant enough it might be worth the try.

Lots of others from the thread and elsewhere that I’ve considered, and I completely understand how someone ends up with 100 roses in their garden. [g]

So, Savannah, PJPII and ?

All your suggestions have been very helpful. Thanks.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    5 years ago

Prairiemoon,

I have 2 Beverly’s and got Savannah this year. Beverly is by far my favorite. Both are healthy and fragrant, but Savannah’s blooms look like they need water. I hope next year’s maturity corrects this issue. Beverly’s blooms are bigger and truer pink, Savannah’s are pink with a melon hint and a unique fragrance.

BEVERLY

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks KRose,

I was considering Beverly for awhile, I don't remember why I switched. They are both pretty. I know that the photos of the roses on Palatine are not always great. So I have gone onto the HelpMeFind site and looked at their photos. Here is a link to the HMF Beverly & Savannah photos. Do you think yours resembles what these photos look like?

HMF - Beverly

HMF - Savannah

Someone on HMF said Savannah smells like baby powder. Is that what you mean by 'unique' fragrance?

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    5 years ago

Prairiemoon,

I think HMF reflects my Beverly, but the quality of Savannah this year doesn’t match. Savannah’s fragrance is hard for me to describe, maybe more perfumey? Beverly’s fragrance is more ‘like how a rose should smell.’ It makes me want to bury my nose in it, but I spray and don’t. Japanese Beetles and thrips love the bush, too. South Africa is the JB’s fav in my garden, still a great rose.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Great info, appreciate it. I guess I'll have to mull that over some more. [g]. I really never liked perfume smells and smelling like a rose, is what I'm looking for.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    5 years ago

Prairiemoon,

i just took some pics. My garden is for cutting.

SAVANNAH, droopy head

BEVERLY, from Palatine

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's a nice bushy rose. I see what you mean about a droopy head that looks like it needs water. I wonder if the one from Palatine is on multiflora rather than Dr Huey, if it would perform differently?

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    5 years ago

I wonder if that’s just the first year?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I hope it is the first year! You should send the photo to Palatine and ask them if it looks right to them.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    5 years ago

I got Savannah at local nursery. Open bloom looks like it’s suppose to look, but smaller and doesn’t last as long as Beverly. Sara-Ann has both and she got Savannah last year. Maybe she’ll let us know if she sees this post.

SAVANNAH indoors this week, that looks about right.

5 years ago

2 years ago I purchased Beverly and Savannah

First year Savannah was awesome, Beverly, not so much.

Second year Beverly took off like gangbusters and Savannah just got weird. I pulled her out and replaced her with Quietness . A great pink by the way.

I have Memorial day and mine is an orchid pink. I just planted Heirloom, I would think that that woukd be more mauve. I think Plum Perfect would be a nice mauve color.

prairiemoon2 z6b MA thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • ratdogheads z5b NH
    5 years ago

Lavender Veranda is a light mauve, I got mine from Palatine a couple years ago and it's done nicely. It's a shorty and a very pretty bush. The smaller the roses, the more you can fit!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    5 years ago

Kristine,

I got Plum Perfect this year and love it!

5 years ago

I have heard such good reviews of Plum Perfect

• erasmus_gw
    5 years ago

Prairiemoon, Le Petite Prince from Palatine is not a small growing plant. It wants to be tall here, about 6' as a fairly new plant. It's healthy and has great rebloom. The blooms are large and very fragrant. They're kind of an icy light lavender. I think an alternate name for this rose is Arctic Ice which fits. I don't have a good picture yet but here is one: Seems like the color is a little more lavender in person.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Erasmus - Thanks so much for your report on Le Petite Prince. That photo does look more pink. Sometimes it’s the camera.

I was looking at a photo on HMF that looks like a small plant with small flowers. It’s this one…

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Plum Perfect is gorgeous, but if it only were fragrant, I’d be ordering it.

Lavender Veranda another pretty rose lacking fragrance. That seems to be one of my two must haves, fragrance and disease resistance. It has one not the other.

Kristine, I know you are in zone 8, so maybe it doesn’t apply, but how do you like Memorial? It’s supposed to be very fragrant, do you find it so?

Beverly/Savannah - The reason I was considering either of these roses, was because of their disease resistance and fragrance. After reading so many experiences with them, I’m thinking Savannah has a fragrance that I would not enjoy and seems to be meant more for hot sites. It hasn’t even been trailed in the Northeast. But I switched from Beverly because the bloom doesn’t fit my style. And neither of these roses is a color I am partial too. I prefer a deeper pink. I started out wanting a red.

I realized yesterday, that what I love are roses like the David Austins and if they were more disease resistant, I’d be content to select mostly those. I love old fashioned, old garden roses, but a lot of those I like are either once bloomers or too large.

This process would be so much easier, if you could just go to a local nursery in June and pick out the one you love. [g]

• marcindy
    5 years ago

Prairiemoon, I would get both Savannah and Beverly. The fragrance of Beverly is unbelievable, and for a HT it is really good in the disease resistance department. Mine is three years old and not a single blemish on a leaf. I don't spray at all in my yard.

Savannah seems to like hot weather. I planted mine in the hell strip between sidewalk and street and it loves it. I had incredible flowers on it all summer. My guess is the heat from the street helps it feel more at home. The fragrance is not bad either, not as strong as Savannah, but def not unpleasant in any way. Oh, and it is also a healthy workhorse of a rose. I have four Savannah's in my yard and plan on adding a few more. And finally, while Beverly likes to grow tall and lanky on some canes, Savannah has stayed a more uniform round bush shape of about 2.5 feet for me. Like I said, get them both if you can and have the space, you won't regret it.

prairiemoon2 z6b MA thanked marcindy
    5 years ago

Prairiemoon, I love Memorial day, huge blooms, healthy and the fragrence, wonderful! The color is a bit of orchid pink .

I am loving Beverly, tons of blooms and a nice fragrence

For a darker pink, Pretty Lady rose is healthy and fragrant.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Okay, I put myself out of my misery and ordered today. [g] After a week on HMF and here and getting 3 books out of the library - one of which was the book, Roses without Chemicals. I considered a lot of roses and decided on a couple then I’d read something else about it and change my mind. I was hoping that information from different sources would reinforce a choice, but, a lot of times, those three sources conflicted somewhat.

But I had put both Beverly and Savannah into the cart at Palatine and took them out. I did see a lot of people very happy with both these roses. At the very least, they seem to be disease resistant and hopefully fragrant. I only wanted 3 roses. So, I put them back in the cart.…

Pope John Paul II

Beverly

Savannah

Thank you Marc for the push. :-)

Erasmus - very pretty bloom!

Kristine - It seems like a lot of the mauves have some pink in them. I am drawn to Memorial Day as a mauve with more fragrance from others that Palatine is offering right now. Palatine is not offering it, but Roseland, a local nursery, will offer it in the spring, so I think I will wait until then and also see if I end up with anywhere to put it. [g]

That’s a great looking ‘Pretty Lady’. Nice habit and looks very full.

5 years ago

Good choices. Beverly started slow for me ( planted last year ) but this year she really took off. Give her room to grow

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thought I would update. :-)

My three roses arrived on time in April. My first order from Palatine. The last time I made a bare root order was from Pickering the year before they went out of business and the roses I received at that point, were small. The three that Palatine sent me were very large. I was happy with them.

I managed to get them planted and all three have been busy producing healthy looking foliage. Pope John Paul looks like it may be the first to bloom, I already see small buds forming. I can't wait to see them bloom! Should be in the next couple of weeks. I'll come back and post photos.

• Margaret Gauthier
    4 years ago

I also received my bare root roses from Palatine in April. I was impressed with how big and healthy they looked. I planted them and they are already covered in leaves and doing very well.

• erasmus_gw
    4 years ago

I got my Palatine order in fall and planted them all in the ground in November. They are all doing well. We're in a heat wave and they all seem established enough to be able to deal with it. I am watering fairly often. Fall planting works well in my zone 7.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    4 years ago

I received my order from Palatine this spring and they looked great. Hubby helped me plant them and the roses bushes are starting to bloom. I ordered 3 Rainbow Niagara, Poseidon, Plum Perfect, and Mondiale. Mondiale is new to my garden and me, most excited to see the blooms. It is suppose to be great for cutting. Does anyone have experience with this rose?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Another update.... Finally had my three new roses bloom. I like them. So far they seem to be living up to what I expected. Not as fragrant as I was hoping for, but I think after they settle in another season, I'll be very happy with them. I feel that 'Beverly' is a lighter pink than I was looking for. Seems lighter than photos I've seen. But - all the blooms aren't even all the way open yet. [g] . 'Savanah' is a really pretty color that doesn't come across in a photo. In person, I keep thinking it looks luminous. It does seem to have some apricot in it, but it still reads pink and it's not clashing in my garden at all. It also takes it's time to open it's blooms, which I am enjoying. I think I may like the blooms better in the bud and half open bloom than when fully open. Edit: i just saw the Beverly bloom fully open and it looks like a bubble gum pink, for anyone considering buying one.

The main priority was healthy and so far all of them seem to have clean healthy looking foliage. I forgot to get a photo of Pope John Paul because I had picked them in advance of rain we're getting later today and they were in a vase on the counter. PJP has very pretty flowers that open fairly slowly as well. The way the petals unfurl on one, looks like a pinwheel. Very pretty. The white is very saturated and pure looking.

Beverly, first one just starting to open. A lighter pink than I expected.

'Savanah' the color in person is very appealing.

'Savanah' in the garden, with 'Julia Child' in the background.

Here's the Pope John Paul - next to Julia Child blooms. Quite a difference in size. Also I find the outer petals deteriorate quickly, so this bloom has had almost 2 rows of outer petals removed and is still a good size.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Another update. All the blooms on the new roses are gone by now and I've dead headed them all. Two of them are very fast to push out new growth - Savannah and Pope John Paul. PJP was the first to bloom and be deadheaded and now it actually has a lot of new growth and new buds. Savannah just got deadheaded last weekend and it is just starting to push out new growth. Beverly, on the other hand, has no new growth on it yet. I had one bloom left that lasted awhile and I just took that off today. So, I'll see if it will catch up.

Julia Child has also pushed out a lot of new growth and I was amazed today to see a new cluster of buds and one of them is already starting to show color. I'm very impressed. I count six new buds on PJP so far.

4 years ago

I always love the updates, thanks.

Give Beverly a season to mature

She didn't impress the first year but this is year 3 and she is pretty fabulous.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Kristine, I'm glad to hear that. I am already impressed with the clean foliage on all the new roses. Of course, I realize, the first year is not always an indicator. I thought maybe Beverly has another plant a little too close to it and that might have held her back a little this year. I just forgot how big that plant gets, so I am going to have to move it in the fall to allow Beverly to have enough room to grow.

I am a big believer in that old saying, the first year they sleep, the second year they creep and the third year, they leap. I have a lot of new plants in the bed with the roses and I'm looking forward to the maturity for all of them.

It's been funny that I keep smelling rose fragrance on the air, even when there are barely any blooms in the front. I have a New Dawn still blooming in my backyard and that is really not all the fragrant, but no one else has roses around here, so I'm thinking it might be that. It has to be the week of higher temperatures and humidity. Looking forward to another flush of bloom out front. And I should have blooms on the Little Lime Hydrangeas in the same bed at the same time, which I am looking forward to that pairing.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you for posting. I have not purchased from Palatine but only because I forgot the name until you posted. When we visited Niagara Falls, we stopped and visited the nursery. They were very nice. They seemed to have no spray program. They talked to me about cleaning up around the roses and if you do that helps keep them healthy. Their roses were very healthy and disease free when we visited in mid-June about 5-years ago. They have a wide variety.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mark, how great is that to hear from someone who has visited Palatine and to give such a great report on the health of their roses and the efforts they make! I only wish I had room for another couple of dozen roses, so I could keep buying them and try a lot of different roses. [g] . Thank you for posting!