SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queencityrn

Fiddle Leaf Fig - Help Diagnosis My Problem?

queencityrn
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I bought my FLF about a year ago and it’s seemed to do pretty well, but I have continued issues with leaf edges browning and turning tan/dead.

It had a complete repotting in early June (root pruning and new soil into a slightly larger pot — it had roots growing out the top and bottom of the growers pot it came in). Had a slight “revolt” against that, but really not too bad.

Its out out TONS of new growth this spring and summer too — and even with this browning I’m seeing, I’m seeing new leaves every week or two! (Probably a good 6-8” growth on almost all three plants). So that would seem to me to say it’s decently happy??

So what gives with the leaves doing this?? I was watering only once every 7-10 days, then backed off to every two weeks even to be sure it was getting adequately dried out. Moisture meter and good old fashioned finger check seemed to show it wasn’t staying wet. Am I somehow still possibly overwatering this guy? Or am I underwatering?

At recommendation of local nursery FLF experts, they suggested I back off on watering (hence two weeks now) and I only use water that I let sit 24hrs in a bucket to let tap water chemicals evaporate from it aso their suggestion). Originally was watering just a cup a week when I first brought this home, but then reading here saw it was better to flush it until it started to run out the bottom drainage holes to flush out salt/mineral deposits.

Help a girl out — I‘ve never been good with plants and I’ve really been trying to do right with this guy....

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals