SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmesfl

Enough contrast in BM Natural Cream and White Dove? See Pics please!

lmesfl
5 years ago

We have been slowly remodeling for about 2 years. We are now ready to repaint the whole house. Our kitchen and laundry have been redone, the family room fireplace resurfaced with stone, and floors replaced with white washed oak.

I gravitate to pictures of light neutral paints, creamy furnishings, and blues and greens for accents. I have been looking through paints FOREVER- I think I have 15 samples now! The biggest dilemma has been trying to keep the Navajo white trim everywhere for cost sake. My oak floors and kitchen cabinets (maple) also have yellow and it’s too much. But I am biting the bullet and painting White Dove trim. Current paint is a khaki and it looks very yellow when the sunlight hits it.

For walls, I have landed- I think!- on BM Natures Essentials, which is called Natural Cream now I guess? I ended up with it because all of the typical greige colors appear very grey or purple in my ‘yellow’ home. NC is one that truly looked neutral in all lighting, although it doesn't have much character.

In my family room, the light from the windows to the left in the picture face east and over a pool, so it is quite bright early in the day. The sample colors in the family room get completely washed out- can’t tell the trim sample board from the wall (see on fireplace). In the evening I can see subtle shade differences and I really like it. I might like just one shade darker but...honestly I am sick of looking. Inner balance is on the strip as if one shade darker, but it looks like a totally different color on the wall- much grayer and purplish again. So unless someone knows what that next shade is, I quit!

Also I am trying to use one color for all of the main areas because it is an open floor plan and I like the simplicity of it. The front LR and DR have a few windows but overall it stays pretty dark in there all hours.

So here are my questions please:

Is there enough contrast in Natural Cream and White Dove? Anyone done this?

What should I do about one paint color for the whole main of the house, when the FR it gets so much daylight, but anything darker would likely be too dark in the LR & DR? Do people just accept that one color can’t do it all?

Do you think the white dove trim color on the cabinets to the L &R of the fireplace will look too stark white next to the natural stone? Does it seem that way to me because there is so much cream and brown and yellow, and once it is done it will look just fine? The back splash in the adjoining kitchen is a warm white and there is some in the new counter tops, so maybe it will pull together?

I truly hate paint. Not too strong a word... making me crazy! Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Liz

Comments (28)