SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
love2cavies

New lake house plans needs review please....

B Sharpe
5 years ago

I have followed so much on this forum and now it’s my turn to seek out the experts and advice from my fellow members. My husband and I will be demoing a 62 year old family lake cabin down to the existing slab. We are located in the beautiful Appalachian Mountains, northeast Georgia. After selling our last home of 4100 sq ft, we have decided to make this our home for as long as feasibly possible. There aren’t any children with us; we do have overnight guests that visit quite often during the summer months. A lot of entertaining during this time.

Our lake is governed by Georgia Power and any building, remodels or additions must be permitted. Construction is limited to their rules and regulations in regards to staying within the projectory boundary lines, any current grandfathered structures, etc. Fortunately, we are already situated very close to the water and enjoy the beautiful mountain and water views on three sides of our property. Having to stay within the projectory boundary lines, we are maxed out on the width of our new build. We are mandated to leave the original footprint. We can build up easily hence the guest bedrooms and storage (office) area upstairs. All of our main living is on the first level. The setbacks only allow us one attached open garage. The house faces the lakeside (southwest) where most of our outdoor activities occur and where we get the beautiful evening sunsets. What we call the back side is the entrance from the main drive leading down to the lake. So actually, the front side and backside are opposite. We are blessed with surrounding hardwoods, sourwoods and of course Georgia Pines. Actually we have to remove about six trees to keep the upstairs guest from being in a tree house…LOL. Square footage heated is 3706.

We will be the GC of the construction. We already have our framer, excavator, plumber, electrician, heating and air and foundation trades lined up. This will be the 3rd build for my husband. I’m here to seek any advice on recommendations you might suggest in order to having smooth, even flow and a home we can enjoy for years to come. (Sorry, this is the best I could do in uploading photos.)

Comments (24)