SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
corinne_masterson

I think I hate this room color. Should I hate this room color?

I’ve only just started decorating our office and already I regret my decision.

I found this awesome campaign chair on eBay & I have a mango wood bookcase all picked out...

(I’ll be replacing that desk- it’s too short)

I’m noticing that with all of the furniture I’m picking, the room is going to look like it’s trying too hard.

Is it crazy to want to paint a way more neutral (off white) color?

Photo below. The color is Benjamin Moore Moon Shadow. The adjacent room is Berber White. Hallway is Feather Down. Trim is Cloud White.

Is Chantilly Lace too light?

Comments (51)

• acm
    4 years ago

I can't really make out the Berber White, but the Swiss Coffee looks too green for your floor. You need a warmer beige/white there.

Corinne Masterson thanked acm
  • User
    4 years ago

Why another different color? How about repeating the feather down.

Corinne Masterson thanked User
  • Related Discussions

I Think I Hate Charles Aznavour

Q

Comments (8)
    I got both Charles Aznavour and Easter Basket this year from Northland Rosarium. I am favoring Easter Basket as the blooms and pastel colors seem to be holding longer(is a sister seedling to Charles) Charles has been blowing too fast and bleaching out. Charles is very pretty when first opened though. Maybe I will like it better in the Fall. Haven't had either long enough to make a true assessment. Easter Basket Charles Aznavour
    ...See More

I think I hate my new dining room chairs ...

Q

Comments (43)
    Change the chair seats, the LIGHT add curtains, Add a rug.......It isn't decorated yet!! Do the table switch last........ The light is Hubbardton Forge, The rug is an 8 x 10 charcoal sisal , 225.00 There's a lot of junk in tables, with finishes that will not hold up. .............switch the table last. Or paint what you have, to a soft black top, and white base. This is a minefield category of junkola out there. Arhaus on the one below........save your money : ) https://www.denverfabrics.com/p242131_66467-greypeachpink-plaid-linen https://www.lightology.com/index.php?module=prod_detail&prod_id=207623
    ...See More

I think I hate my chandelier

Q

Comments (55)
    Your table and chairs are French Country, and the chandelier is Shabby Chic French Provincial. The mirror frame is Hollywood Glam. Maybe you could paint the chandelier a soft yellow and use a stain to make it "antiqued?" That would make it go with the dining room set more. Oh, and take off any baubles. Less is more. I would remove the mirror altogether. No one likes to watch themselves eating. Use the mirror in the master bedroom as a "leaner" full-length. The silver frame would probably "go" in there better.
    ...See More

I Hate My Dining Room

Q

Comments (24)
    I guess I am the only one that thinks your art is too big for that wall. After you paint the vent the same color as the wall, it might look okay, but I think three smaller pictures would look better. Do I see a leaf or two in your table? Making the table smaller would be much better with two chairs on each side and one chair on each end. As you have it now, there is not room for end chairs. I like your room, just looks a little full to me.
    ...See More
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I guess I like to break up the hallway and the office room a little bit. It’d bother me knowing that only that room was the same color.

acm- what color might that be? How much warmer?

• lovemrmewey
    4 years ago

I like the Moon Shadow. Perhaps the lighting is influencing your dislike?

Corinne Masterson thanked lovemrmewey
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I originally loved the color. I think I’m just so afraid of going overboard- like the color plus my furniture is going to look costumey when everything is pulled together

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m trying to avoid rugs only because my cats make them a pain.

that is a nice blue but I think I’d prefer more of an off white. I just don’t quite know which one works

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sea pearl? White river ?

• havingfun
    4 years ago

you need to add some color to the room then paint. nowadays, rugs can be with cats easy, or put pillows on extra seating, or art and curtains.

Corinne Masterson thanked havingfun
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Snow on the mountain <3

• aktillery9
    4 years ago

I love the current color!! I am writing it down so I have it on file in case I need a good neutral. It is very soothing and elegant. I think it goes great with your furniture!

Corinne Masterson thanked aktillery9
  • acm
    4 years ago

If it feels too "costume-y" then maybe it's just too formal a look for you -- it would be for me. I actually like rooms with trim and walls all one color, but something in between might be to just go a shade darker than your trim on the same color strip. I can't name a color without having my fan deck in the same room as you, but there are plenty of off-whites and light tans that look great with oak. Just head a little more orange than where you started (that's like adding sunshine), and not as dark.

Corinne Masterson thanked acm
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

Hmm. Before you change anything, I'd seriously consider getting better lighting in the room. I think part of the problem is the overhead light isn't making the room bright enough and is making the wall color look dingy. The color itself is fine, IMO. See if that helps.

Corinne Masterson thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • K Laurence
    4 years ago

Agree, better lighting is the issue. The color is nice.

Corinne Masterson thanked K Laurence
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I need a new light anyway- I don’t think I understand what would constitute “better”lighting. Too much light always feels like an assault on my eyes- no?

Its so funny you guys are calling this color “neutral”. Maybe just because I’m comparing to the rest of the house, but this color seems SO green to me. That’s my concern. That the green is like red lipstick on top of blue eyeshadow. It could just be my fear of going overboard, as I tend to go way too far with my decorating. It goes from 0 to tacky real quick

• aktillery9
    4 years ago

Maybe in the photo is reads neutral, I looked it up and it is much greener than it looks in your photos. If it looks that green as in other photos I saw, I would definitely go more neutral.

I think the best lighting or my personal favorite is lots of lamps and a if needed a ceiling fixture with a dimmer!!

Corinne Masterson thanked aktillery9
  • K Laurence
    4 years ago

Just an aside ... green ( all shades of it ) seem to be the trend where I live( coastal So California ). I’m seeing it everywhere, stores, higher end restaurants & home stores. Maybe it’s a regional thing, idk.

Corinne Masterson thanked K Laurence
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Good lighting consists of what we call “layered” lighting. You need “task” lighting for work in the form of lamp on desk, “ambient” lighting which is a combination of natural light and other lamps including ceiling lights. Then there is “specialty” lights that create mood or design looks. Overhead lighting is best on dimmers so you can control the level of light at any time. A floor lamp near your campaign chair (love it, hope u got a deal!) would add interesting design and reading light.
    Corinne Masterson thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

The reason it looks too green is because your lighting is too yellow. When you buy a new overhead fixture, get a dimmable LED one in the 3000K range and a CRI of 90+. In English, that means you're going with a "daylight" look that renders color really well. Since this is an office, you can then fill in with desktop task lighting.

Corinne Masterson thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

^ I will try this first before I waste the time & frustration painting.

❤️Thank you!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

I originally loved the color. I think I’m just so afraid of going overboard- like the color plus my furniture is going to look costumey when everything is pulled together

What look or style are you going for? More British Colonial? If it helps, try to think more in terms of style than "theme", because you're right, it's very easy to go overboard with a "theme".

A secondhand vintage wool kilim would be sturdy, fairly inexpensive, and able to stand up to cats. And the more battered it gets, the better for British Colonial style : ) and less theme-y too.

Google India Hicks home office study. Her partner's is more masculine, with lots of dark brown, hers is more feminine with bright pink touches.

I don’t think I understand what would constitute “better”lighting. Too much light always feels like an assault on my eyes- no?

A task light on the desk, and a floor lamp would be helpful. Ceiling fixtures tend to be harsh, which might be what you mean by an assault on the eyes. Think of lighting in terms of layering -- table lamps, floor lamps, wall sconces if possible (there are plug-in ones). For me, ceiling fixtures are pretty much a last resort : ) .

Corinne Masterson thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • cat_ky
    4 years ago

I agree that you need much better lighting. I think the paint is fine. Personally, I feel both the rooms picture above are all too neutral, and could use some color and personality in them. They both appear very blah, and maybe things look a bit too perfect, to even be considered cozy and comfortable to use. I couldnt sit in the room with the couch, for more than 5 minutes, because I would be so uncomfortable. The rooms are well done, what you have done so far, but, you really need some accessories, with a bunch of color so they are friendlier to sit in.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    As I look at your room, i think you can lay it out to better advantage. I am going to make some assumptions and do a little rough sketch. Sometimes getting a better “vision” is helpful in making choices.
  • Karen Kurti
    4 years ago

I love the colour - I have a similar F&B colour in my living room, and I have pulled it together with dark wood furniture, two sandy sofas and one dark grey sofa, and a multi coloured orange rug. Everyone remarks what a tranquil room it is, and it's very neutral - almost any colour goes with it.

Corinne Masterson thanked Karen Kurti
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Here is estimated room size with some question marks.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Lamp and lighting concepts.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    We can help you LOVE this room.
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

!! I love all of these tips.

I actually do have a book by India Hicks sitting on my bookshelf- next to one by Emily Henderson which I really love.

I seriously would never have looked up “layered lighting”- this is exciting. I love learning each of concepts- especially when I haven’t attempted them on my own just yet.

Yes I am going for British Colonail <3 it helps me feel like I’m on vacation since I realistically won’t be able to afford traveling outside of New Jersey for the next year or so lol.

Its hard for me to separate “theme” and “style”. I had to stop myself from buying a pair of monkey or pineapple bookends because I remembered that I’m not decorating a ride at Disneyland.

The problem is that when i try to fight my tacky urges, I end up swinging in the opposite direction & making everything SUPER neutral. Neutral is “safe”. I do have plans for some plants & ginger jars. That’ll maybe had some color? : / sort of like this bookcase which is looking super blah in photos

* oh ps thank you re: the chair! I got it on British eBay for 98 pounds (about 124$). With shipping it was about 200$.

4 years ago

I actually do have a book by India Hicks sitting on my bookshelf

Put it by the bed and page through it each evening for inspiration : ) .

I seriously would never have looked up “layered lighting”- this is exciting.

It's also helpful to remember this for your kitchen -- the various layers can include undercabinet task lighting, over the island/sink pendants, and recessed can lights.

I love learning each of concepts- especially when I haven’t attempted them on my own just yet.

It sounds like you would probably enjoy and find helpful Deborah Needleman's books, Domino: The Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home That Makes You Happy and The Perfectly Imperfect Home: How to Decorate and Live Well.

Its hard for me to separate “theme” and “style”. I had to stop myself from buying a pair of monkey or pineapple bookends because I remembered that I’m not decorating a ride at Disneyland.

lol : )

I wouldn't worry too much. If you look at some of the Chinoiserie style rooms, which is a very similar style to what you're going for, some of them are very layered and yet it's part of the charm. I think you have a good eye. One thing I would suggest, though, after looking at your Ideabooks, is to step away from anything Mediterranean. Unless the items (whether it's a sofa or a carving) is actually Mediterranean and not the North American (but made in China) version of Mediterranean, it tends to be very, very poorly done, in terms of looks and execution.

The problem is that when i try to fight my tacky urges, I end up swinging in the opposite direction & making everything SUPER neutral. Neutral is “safe”. I do have plans for some plants & ginger jars. That’ll maybe had some color? : / sort of like this bookcase which is looking super blah in photos

The bookcase looks lovely. I think it's just the photo and exposure which are blah.

One thing you might want to keep an eye open for are block print textiles, which add some color and pattern.

What are your plans for the windows in both rooms, especially in the winter when you don't need the air conditioner? You might want to consider cafe/kitchen curtains (which cover just the lower half of the room) in block prints, like these from Saffron Marigold. If you didn't have the air conditioners, I would suggest bamboo shades in a medium brown/tortoiseshell with some light linen curtains (like the Ikea Aina ones I recommended on another thread).

British eBay is an amazing place ; )

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So I am going to buy that book now on Amazon- thank you for the tip!

i wasn’t sure if chinoisoire was different from British Colonial- I had been meaning to google it.

I was planning on linen drapes! Funny you mention linen with the bamboo shades. That was my original plan, but my fear is that if I do shades AND drapes in my office, it’ll look more dressy than the living room. Is that weird?

Also you are really right about Mediterranean pieces. I have a wine chest that I stupidly bought at an estate sale- now that it’s chipping it looks like something you’d see at The Olive Garden.

4 years ago

Chinoiserie has more Chinese/Asian elements. And in turn it's similar to Hollywood Regency, which is more glam. And when you "de-glam" it and add fabulous textiles, you get Mark Sikes, Peter Dunham, and Schuyler Samperton. There are also some good Australian designers with beautiful Instagram accounts, including Adelaide Bragg, Anna Spiro and her mother Jane Spiro. You might also like fellow NJ-ite Maura Endres, if you haven't discovered her yet.

There was a good conversation a while ago on the English country style (which is what I love), which of course is where British colonial came from. Some other good inspiration can be had from the movie "Out of Africa". And the books of Michael Connors, who specializes in Caribbean style.

it’ll look more dressy than the living room. Is that weird?

I don't think so. Though you can do it too in the living room. And the look to me, with bamboo/matchstick blinds and linen curtains to me reads more "casually elegant" than dressy, which in my mind means more formal. Is that the adjacent room for which you posted a photo? By the way, can you put the palm tree closer to the window? And keep your eyes open for a reasonably priced blue and white Asian "fishbowl" planter for the palm.

I have a wine chest that I stupidly bought at an estate sale- now that it’s chipping it looks like something you’d see at The Olive Garden.

lol

Put a bottle of wine, a box of crackers, and some nice cheese it and give it to a friend or family member for the holidays : ) .

4 years ago

I've been thinking about this, Corinne, not just because it gave me such a laugh, but because I think this is actually the key to figuring out this dilemma. When you're considering something for your room/house, don't look at the item as if you were a tourist picking up a cute, kitschy souvenir to bring home. Look at it instead as if you were local living there -- like India Hicks -- and ask yourself, if I lived there, would I have this in my house? You may decide that in fact, yes, pineapple bookends are just the thing. But you will have given the matter a bit more thought than usual.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    You got a complete steal on that campaign chair. They are running from $500-1,000 most anywhere so great shopping! Love those chairs. So comfy and versatile. The two bolsters are worth over $200! Lucky you!
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lol! Maybe I will gift the wine chest. It’s currently up on Facebook market with no serious bites : (

Also I love all of these suggestions! I do follow Maura Endred, but the other stylists are new material for me!

Re: linen curtains with matchstick shades: Our window treatment guy told that our living room (room with bookshelf) wasn’t suited for drapes because of where my husband boldly and independently decided to nail our television to the wall.

The disappointment triggered a mini existential crisis for me which ultimately ended in my decision to mount our $1000 matchstick shades outside of our window mount. Can you put drapes above outside mounted window treatments?

becky- I’ve been trying to get myself into this headspace. It does help! Sort of like “would I see this in a local house or in a gift shop?”

flo- thank you! I got super lucky- it was one of the few times that my obsessively combing the internet really paid off

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Sure you can put drapes over outside mounted shades. Just need drapery rods with extension far enough out to clear the shades. Readily available on the Internet either Amazon, or BedBathandBeyond, those type places. There are others as well, so if you can't find, I can provide other sources.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• indigoheaven
    4 years ago
    Also following
    4 years ago

Our window treatment guy told that our living room (room with bookshelf) wasn’t suited for drapes because of where my husband boldly and independently decided to nail our television to the wall.

lol

Well, there's not a lot of room for stacking back the curtains outside the window casing, but there's a bit : ) . Out of curiosity, what's between the TV and fern? Is there a reason why he chose the corner rather than the wall opposite the sofa?

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s a bit of a tight space. Kind of an awkward little chunk of wall

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Hummm. Biggest issue is heat register on wall. Probably wouldn’t put over drape there. Just don’t need it.
  • Corinne Masterson thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Louis Gonzales
    4 years ago
    I had the same exact color in my new apartment and I changed it to a taupe tease. They have it at Home Depot. it will lighten up that room but still give it the warmth the brand of paint I believe is Valspar Marquee. it's the Paint & primer in one so you only have to do the room one time.
    Corinne Masterson thanked Louis Gonzales
  • cat_ky
    4 years ago

Home Depot doesnt carry Valspar, and Marquee is a Behr paint. Actually it is a great paint to work with, and even though, I always do two coats, it really does cover in one coat. Even covered a bright red paint on one wall of the kitchen in one coat, in a house, son and daughter in law recently bought.

Corinne Masterson thanked cat_ky
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Side note: is this desk completely missing the mark & not matching at all?

4 years ago

Ask if looks like something that would have been brought along from the UK -- if it does, you should be good : ) . To me, it looks good.

Is this to replace the existing desk?

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes- unfortunately the existing piece is actually probably a vanity masquerading as a desk (also a Facebook market find).

It is not very ergonomic at all- it sort of traps your thighs in that upside down U thing and thus my husband won’t use it. I thought he’d eventually cave, but 2+ months of passive aggressively moving his paperwork and iPad off of our dining room table and onto our “desk” isn’t working. I’ve got to either replace it or find a 5 foot centerpiece for our diningroom.

4 years ago

Too funny, Corinne : ) .

• Brenda
    4 years ago

I really like the paint color! Agree, additional layers of lighting needed . Good luck!

• Louis Gonzales
    4 years ago
    just a few pictures to show you the color. I'm not done with my dining room. Lol
    Corinne Masterson thanked Louis Gonzales
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

^ Louis- I don’t see any photos attached. Sometimes you need to let the photos finish uploading before you hit “submit”