SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_312257166

Batten Board - Re-design help needed, two transitions is not working

Daniel Larsen
5 years ago

We are building a home just outside Nashville. it is a board and batten outside not brick like 90% of the houses here. Our contractor thought the price from his siding guy was to high so he decided to use his framing guy and buy the materials to save money.

I was out of town when they put it up, when I saw that there was going to be two transitions - One on top of the 10 X bottom trim board and one at the bottom for transtion to Stone. I was not happy and could not figure out why they had to have two transitions.

We purchased all 4x10' hardie boards so we would not have a top transition and the 10 X was supposed to be on top of the 4 x 10 sheet with it's bottom lining up with bottom of the 4x10' sheet. The kicker is they cut the 10' down to 9+- so the could do the flashing etc. A lot of extra time work cost and not good astetics.

Now I'm left with a mess that the contract wants me to come up with solutions - and me pay for the cost.

Any re-deisgn suggestions would be appriciated and very welcome! We are putting stone under teh 10" bottom board for about 2 feet to meet grade. We thought about removing the 10" bottom trim and brining stone all the way to the bottom of the board they cut off. More stone than we want but and idea.

We would preferr to have the siding come down to the bottom of the band like and have one transition to stone. Problem is we would need another seam to extend the boards they cut off. Their option is to Caulk the gaps and no one will know any better!

Thanks Dan Larsen

10 ' is the bottom black marker - the distance is from the seam board that was needed to join

the two floors seam

Seams all the way around the house where they cut the board back and added flashing

transition.

Comments (2)