SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyful_hearts

Exterior Help! Needed!!

Joyful Hearts
5 years ago

I am building and currently have all white siding like the picture. I wanted to do brick along the foundation and a brick porch but builder says I would have to do that later. I've attached another photo of a house I like in the neighborhood but lots of people have done some sort of stone like that. Basically we are trying to figure out how we should go about making our exterior look better. There are two other houses on the street very similar to our current plan with all white siding and black shutters. We have already had the builder put in a large picture window above the front door since this is a foyer and a small double hung window does not make sense here. Our house is going between a light grey and a dark grayish/blue home with lots of bright white details. We thought white would work well between the homes. I also have issues with nonfunctional shutters? Why use shutters anymore if they don't function? Building a home has been so stressful and something I have not wanted to do (husband pushed it) and I'm having a very hard time with all the choices. Builder uses CertainTeed (mainstream line) so I have even looked into other optional siding, board and batten, shingles, etc but I am not design inclined unfortunately and get lost with it all.

Comments (104)

• lynartist
    5 years ago
    You may get a glimpse of it through the transom;)!
  • whaas_5a
    5 years ago

I bet you'd get more diverse & complete feedback if you posted the front elevation of your home.

• Related Discussions

landscaping / exterior help needed

Q

Comments (11)
    @ Me Benson, getting rid of stuff is basically a decision you came to on your own before coming here. After you got here, it seems we agree with you. I gave you a lot of suggestions for what forms, shapes and sizes to put at various places. But you did not comment about whether any of those suggestions met your expectation, or were too far from them to be useful to you. With that kind of feedback, it's impossible for me o know if any further suggestion will be helpful to you.
    ...See More

50 Shades of Brown - Exterior Help Needed!

Q

Comments (2)
    Really nice home and yard. Would NOT paint brick. That totally defeats its low maintenance purpose since as it inevitably would need painting again, it will look ever more awful as it gets to that point. Would remove and recycle the shutters. If you don't want them as a DIY project, you could sell them or donate them to Habitat for Humanity or your favorite charity thrift store. With your current siding (green?) that you're keeping, would you prefer white trim or a dark gray or a contrasting shade of the same color as the siding? Pick one and only one trim color and use it to paint all the painted surfaces so you end up with two colors in addition to your brick. As you change the windows, do add a wide board frame around them that you can paint. If you are adding pairs of windows in lieu of one larger window, you can add one horizontal board above and another below and vertical board on each side without needing to add vertical boards between them. Your posts could use some bulking up and they'll need to be painted your chosen trim color. You could also paint your fascia and gutter the same trim color. My personal preference for your trim color would be white and my second choice would be a medium/dark gray -- but your home should reflect your personal taste. Landscaping: If you have a trailer hitch on one of your vehicles and choose a time after a long rain, and/or if you thoroughly soak the soil around your shrubs, you can likely pull up your shrubs with little digging. (My brother's preferred method -- worked for him.) Rather than destroy the shrubs you have, consider moving them either ... setting them in a row along your back property line as a border or ... lining them up on one or both sides of your yard beside your house and, generally, in line with the front exterior wall of your house ( or back exterior wall of your house ) from house in a straight line to the side property boundary to create a green privacy fence between your front yard and your side/back yard. If there is a pathway you usually use already to get from front to back yard, add an arbor / gate at that point.
    ...See More

Split Level Exterior Help! Need Advice!

Q

Comments (19)
    Just remove the shutters and see how that looks. I don't think painting windows with black is going to enhance the house--just adds another element and you do have a brown roof, not black. A much warmer white for the middle would work better with yellow stone and brown roof. Save $$$ for a beautiful landscape design to further beautify the house. But what you have is pretty nice right now. It's important in a newly purchased house to go a year before making landscaping changes so you can see how the plantings look in all seasons. It's great you have quite a few evergreens for year round color--and no leaves to rake!
    ...See More

Exterior Help Needed!

Q

Comments (39)
    "a hip roof is stronger" Its not a matter of strength but of shape. Less strong uplift forces are generated by a hipped roof because it has 4 sloping sides. However, all sloping roof shapes perform better if the slope is 7 in 12 or less so the 9 in 12 hipped roof of the OP's house could be a problem in Florida. Gable ends are required to be reinforced at the apex where a high wind can generate an outward force. A hipped roof insurance discount would not apply to a house with a hipped roof and multiple front facing gables so I don't know why that issue would be relevant here. As for architectrural design advice, my intent was to offer a broader perspective on house design themes than what is currently offered by builder/developers and internet house plan marketers. To me they are unimaginative variations on the same few commonplace ideas that are therefore unremarkable and not appropriate for someone who would like their house to "stand out from the crowd". Since I design houses for a living that's something I take very seriously.
    ...See More
  • greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Yeah they didn't do the interior walls yet right? Surely it can't be that hard to add a ceiling to your foyer and move some non load bearing walls. Maybe a real builder can comment on that

one story foyer

So now your upstairs hall is bigger:

I know my house was designed with little regard to space for bookshelves. I would fill this area with built in bookshelves. My kids can't even pick through the many books I've loved and read.

• Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes that top window. I will have to take a photo at night of different neighbors. I feel like the builder would kill me if I said I wanted the foyer closed. Here is the floor plan, ours is a little different in that we changed the den doors and changed things with master bed and bath area but nothing that would effect the foyer. How would a one story foyer be done.
  • Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    House right now. Just got home from work to take a photo. Garage floor not in yet
  • Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is my other next door neighbor, I feel like how do I compete with all that??
  • greenfish1234
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You try to avoid looking at it as you pull into your tastefully done home every night. I'm sure your neighbors are lovely people, it is very common to see this kind of over done mess. Please please get ready to spend enough money to fill that garage and raise the doors so that they are in line with your first floor windows.

Just for starters you could easily increase the size of the front bedroom, covering the lower part of the stairs and foyer and putting a closet in the corner instead of where it is now.

ETA: it is important for us to know, it looks like your neighbor's garage is better proportionately than the first ones you posted because the peak is lower. The first houses just stretched the peak up to the theight of the rest of the houses. Very bad looking.

• Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes, one reason I liked the 5 bedroom exterior was bc several things seemed more in proportion. They already have the roof so the size of the tresses will remain the same. I could see if they could put it further down but I think it’s raised more like that because there is a bathroom there. You can see the window through the bedroom here. Also that staging is a riot bc there is no way you could put a bed there because that the entryway into the room.
  • greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Don't lower the roof RAISE THE FLOOR OF THE GARAGE AND THE GRADE OF THE DRIVEWAY

I did it for you here:

^^i actually didn't raise them high enough, but all you need to know is that the top of he garage DOORS should align with the top of the first floor windows. OTHERWISE, you have this horrible stretched mess:

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

I did a better job here. Look how much cuter this house is.

• atay284
    5 years ago

Do yourself a favor and step away from houzz! Start moving walls and add ceiling to a first floor in a house that looks like it's nearly complete with second floor framing, and while at it go ahead and re-grade the yard to totally change the garage floor height? This is not lego land, build take apart, re-build. Your builder probably will kill you and for good reason. Also, you remember that thing called a building permit? Well in my neck of the woods, permitting requires you build not just to the architectural plans, but also to the site/plot plan, if you ever dream of getting a CO and want to actually live in this thing. Your foundation has already been inspected and passed at this stage, this is not the time to start major re-grade by trying to "raise the lot"!

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

^^HU I did precisely this. It is not a big deal to bring in Fill before pouring floor, foundation is NOT affected. No additional permits required. I agree builder wil unlikely allow common sense changes such as increasing the size of the tiny hall bath in lieu of a noisy and hard to heat two story foyer...

• Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @HU what are your suggestions on improving the exterior that would not change things drastically?
  • atay284
    5 years ago

Trucking in fill dirt is actually costly and so most people don’t put that in ”not a big deal category“. It also changes the grade, which can have impact on water flow, also a pretty big thing if you want the lot graded to keep water away from your house. Not usually things you change midstream because you don’t like the “looks” Of garage doors being lower than exterior door on an elevation that is precisely that. These are things that should have been planned prior to start and the initial site work accommodate for that., not retrofit after the fact. The second floor rests on the first floor ceiling, and since that looks to be in place, I would say it wouldn’t be “common sense“ to remove part of second floor to add first floor ceiling. It’s always more involved than it looks. Framing is one of the most expensive costs in a home, not undone without good reason. Not saying any of this can’t be done, but I do question the logic, unless one enjoys burning cash and slowing a job down.

• sprink1es
    5 years ago

Colored or faux wood garage doors and front door. You can gain a lot of color and interest from landscaping too. It's amazing what a professional landscape company can design compared to the standard "throw down mulch and a couple $20 green bushes" on the front. Landscape lighting or nice looking exterior lighting (copper finish?) on the house... Having a plain looking house gives good opportunity to have accent colors pop

Brick/stone should always terminate into an inside corner, if you only put it on the front facade it will scream "budget spec home"

• atay284
    5 years ago

Joyful Hearts, looks like you got a lot of Suggestions not so structurally involved and feasible (no poor sized shutters, changing window, ditching stone, etc.). These are all things to make it look more classic and not going to “undo“ so much. Although in my area, adding or removing materials like brick vs. siding to an elevation would mean modify of plans and so would need update with permitting. From where it looks like you are at, you probably should work with your current grade and ceilings already established. Hard to tell from your photo, but it looks like a pretty big grade difference between garage and exterior front door, it Certainly is on the neighbors house in your photo.

• redsilver
    5 years ago

IF you have money left next year? go ahead and add a fancy pergola(one that suits your home exterior) over your garage doors at the 'ideal height' if it is bugging you at that time? Have someone with a degree in design help plan it and you can give that area a visual bandaid that will look better, and probably cost alot less than trying to pour concrete over hauled in fill dirt that is no way going to be packed well enough to tolerate too much rain or lots of movement in and out of a garage with vehicles. Just a thought.

Also. the shingles across the gable base, are called "eyebrows" ...something done to hip roofs especially on the ends of single story ranch style homes of the 60's, so that attics can still be vented adaquately(before ridge vents were all the rage) in the point of the gable, but the added trim of a hip roof(lower end) of the roofline had a nice inclined transition to the wall of the house. It was not about showing off copper or brass roofing materials. It was about venting the attic originally, and now it is about adding trim to these modern day 'farm house' style architectural creations.

Also, your home would be much cooler with a charcoal gray or medium gray roof. Next time it gets replaced, put that charcoal gray shingle on it, you will be happy with the appearance.

Also, try to avoid the skinny little curve of a sidewalk from the top of your driveway? I don't understand that whole scenario. Who wants to use that walk except the one car driver, that parked next too it? ..

You park in the garage. You have a big porch and a large home. Make that sidewalk larger than a 2 feet path. Make it like a nice hallway. Make it as wide as the porch is from the wall to the first post. Make the step up to the porch that same width. Start that sidewalk alongside that drive way, at least half way down it. Don't make people tippy toe with one foot on the grass and one foot on the drive way. Ease that sidewalk gently towards and up to the porch and door entry, making it wide enough for a couple to walk side by side with suitcases, or gifts for example, but give access to at least 2 cars in line to get to it out of the drivers seat. It would be better to have a pavestoned area with a bench or bistro set even, than flower beds with overgrown or prickly plants in a corner that may take the brunt of the north wind or get to much shade to have the plants do well.

Plan a nicer than traditional "that is what we always do".... entry for your pretty house, and you will never ever regret it!

• Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes you are right about the grading. They are mindful of the houses being raised for drainage but don’t want to make super steep driveways which we would have a much steeper driveway if we raised the grade here. So we will go ahead and take out the shutters. HU you also suggest keeping the double hung window instead of changing to a larger rectangular or square picture window?
  • Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @red silver thank you for the thorough response. Will it look ok if I keep the “eyebrows” as you called them above the garage and then still put the pergola in between or should i have the builder take that out. They are pretty flexible with our changes. Also do you agree to keep the double hung window in the foyer above the door? We want to make a much nicer sidewalk and want to do the same as you suggested with widening next to the driveway. I will see if I can discuss this change with the builder. That shouldn’t be a problem except to cost us more in the concrete. What some neighbors have done is made a brick path along the side of the driveway that meets the sidewalk and then the brick becomes trim around the sidewalk to the front porch. I wanted the whole front porch brick and still really do but the builder gave me a real hard time about that :(
  • Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @red silver I went with black roof shingles because the homes on our street that have it I like much better than the lighter shingles. Not sure what it is but I’ve always loved a really dark roof...other suggested not to do the black too which kind of worried me
  • Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I just feel like I should have done something like this with the garage (two different sidings and the white trim across)
  • greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Your garage will never look right no matter how many pergolas you put across. This is an easy fix, if done NOW. You are looking at what? 10-12"? Probably less for what is needed for the actual grade change. It is a very meaningful aesthetic change unless this looks fine to you:

My house before regrading:

After:

A little dirt goes a long way.

• Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is my current house with the same builder which I like.
  • Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is the house framed right now for the bigger window
  • redsilver
    5 years ago

If the eyebrow trim roof, is kept flush with the top of the double window, will that help the exterior aesthetics? I think it surely does..Than you will not need a pergola to be sure.

Also, they make TALLER garage doors. Why have the shortest door one can find? If you have room use the taller doors. Than if you husband ever comes home with a 4x4 on air shocks, he can still put it in the garage. That door is probably not tall enough to get a 4.x4 pickup or a full size SUV into it.. He is installing very short garage doors. There is no reason for it.. The roll up door takes up interior space in your garage also when it is open... I would find out what is the tallest garage door you can get, 2 of them, and the widest...lets be honest...this is why the make electric rear view mirrors on vehicles...so they can put them into these itty bitty garages builders/contractors like to make? LOL. A house that large will have need for more than just 2 volkswagons in the garage. Having to back in a half ton pickup beside a 4 door car that is drove in is no fun. Pickup trucks and SUVs should be able to both pull into a garage, by code, swing wide open the door and not hit the other vehicle, and allow someone to walk past it, unlike in a parking garage in NYC... Really.

If you like the double window with no vertical in the middle, do that on the first floor.. You can like your dark roof if you want it. It just absorbs more sun heat and if your home is fixed with radiant barrier in the attic, it should help quite a bit. There is no reason whatsever to put an arch window above your door, except the builder might have 500 of them in his inventory. Install a window that matches the others above the porch? Than it looks nice and has symmetrical value and is easier to put siding around also.

Also, when they build steps up to your porch, make sure they rise no more than 4 inches. There will be a day when you or someone you love will want to come visit and that 6 or 8 inch step is very painful. A nice, 8 or 10 inch at least wide, step surface with a 4 inch rise is a stair way that most people can negotiate into their senior years...

I hope you get your rectangle window, your taller garage doors and your nice wider sidewalk and not too steep and narrow, porch steps. The eyebrow roofline will be fine on your home if you garage doors are taller, I hope. There is no other color to put on that garage gable, if you have a black and white home, but you could do some decorative vent in the gable.. That said, I had a family member with such a vent and the honeybees moved into the attic when winter set it.......... SO a vent with a smallest screen ! is very important! And they are decorative too, near the peak of the gable, or above any windows that are there.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Different sidings here and there would have looked much much worse (neighbor's house) so you do not need to second guess yourself. You decide which is better. Taller garage doors or higher garage floor:

• Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @greenfish when they fixed the grade did they raise the garage floor up past the foundation?
  • greenfish1234
    5 years ago

No- It is well below the top of the foundation they didn't do anything to the gable.

• whaas_5a
    5 years ago

I'm so confused as to how you can raise the garage floor at this point. Isn't the foundation already poured if your home is being framed???

Albeit a great intention to address the issue, there is no way I could have done what Greenfish is suggesting after foundation is poured.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Whaas-foundation is not the same as garage floor. First foundation is poured, cured. Then a garage floor slab is poured. You can see by looking inside my before and after garage pics that there was no floor, just dirt, but foundation is very much in place.

• whaas_5a
    5 years ago

Call it a footing then where the structure sits on. You can't raise the floor in this situation, no?

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

I dont get your question. Clearly I did it so it is possible. My whole thread is linked above so if the photos don't explain it well enough you can follow the whole thing from "what is wrong with my garage," to the fine community here identifying the problem, offering solutions, and the final result.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

For you whaas

This was absolutely one of the most important saves we had when building this home. The garage, in retrospect, is oversized anyway and extremely prominent, like the OPs. I would hate the way it looked, plus we would have needed a stair with landing to get up to the mudroom!

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

I think I get why you are confused whaas. You think a cement floor in a basement or garage is involved in holding the house up. A foundation, whether a slab or like OP's and mine, is reinforced concrete. The floors are simply CEMENT FLOORS, and can be (and often are) dirt all night and all day. Has nothing to do with structural support.

I think OP may be more interested in opinions on siding and 2nd floor picture window though. I happened to notice this opportunity for improvement and couldn't let it pass unmentioned.

• whaas_5a
    5 years ago

I guess it may depend on the height of the footing?

so when you raised the floor it was still below the footing?

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

No they just poured it on in there and let it volcano out our walls and all down the sides of our footings. I'm not sure why you are vetting my construction integrity on a totally obvious (and done all the time-this is how garage floors are made! They don't just say, 'well that's where the dirt is, so I guess that's where the floor will be!' Think about people with dirt basements who add cement floors? My friend did it himself, by hand) fix.

• whaas_5a
    5 years ago

I'm not vetting I'm trying to understand what you did out of curiosity. You're not posting close-ups so we can't see specifics of what was done as it relates to the footings.

I'm simply stating my footings where X inches above grade so you couldn't simply raise the garage floor unless you're pouring on top of the footings and into the walls.

• new-beginning
    5 years ago

the garage floor is not part of the footings/foundation of the house. It is poured separately at a different time. More dirt could be added to the 'opening' where the garage floor will be, packed, then the garage floor "poured" on top of the new dirt.

• whaas_5a
    5 years ago

I'm a visual kind of person. See below.

Structure is on top of footings. How do you raise the floor 2 to 3' after the footings and structure are in place?

Are you literally pouring the flooring up above the footings and into the wall framing?

My whole point is to support your case for the OP. The more detail and understand they have the more they will be in a position to discuss a solution with the builder.

New beginning,

They pour concrete right on top of the dirt?

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Omg. I'm lying. Sorry. Caught.

2-3 FEET? That would make her house a step-down from the garage. I won't defend WHAT I DID any further, you clearly know more about it than I do.

as I have said I don't even think OP is interested so I'm not sure why you keep it up.

• whaas_5a
    5 years ago

Lets just hope you're not in the teaching field. Sorry for the questions.

• greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Whaas I may have misunderstood your tone and if so I'm sorry, but I won't lie, I hate getting peppered with questions!! I felt like they had been answered already but I am a cranky lady so. I think the OP knows what I mean and if she is interested her builder certainly will get it even if he won't DO it. Kiss and make up?

• Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here is a neighbors house with eave returns. You all believe this is better than the long roof across? Could not get the garage raised. They said they would raise for a 8ft garage, that’s it. Grading is an issue and at this point we aren’t able to get the cement on the side of the house we were hoping for.
  • greenfish1234
    5 years ago

Sure like that but without the roofing shingles on them. All white.

• Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Alright ya’ll so the damage is done. We did what we could which basically was nothing. It is extremely difficult working with these builders. That being said, if you were stuck with this where would you place the lights- planning on two above the garage door. I also really like the pergola idea but wondering if that just makes the garage part come out too far. On a side note how awesome is that morning sun into one of our bedroom windows :) gotta keep positive on the good things!
  • greenfish1234
    5 years ago

I can tell you right now that the choices you WERE able to make? -double hung windows, white eave returns, make your house 10x classier than your neighbors, and you should be proud. I'll let greater minds than my own tell you what lights where, but I will say that a cedar ( preferably natural, not white) pergola with a vigorous vine planned and planted with your landscaping will make a HUGE difference. Don't even bother with anpergola if you are not going to grow something on it.

Shingle Exterior · More Info

Nice work!!!
    Pool and Cabana · More Info

Bretland Road, Camano Island WA · More Info
    ^^pointless, lame

inspiration for your walkway:

Provincetown Cottage · More Info

• redsilver
    5 years ago

Okay, there is something about building a home that no one ever talks about. TERMITES. Yes. TERMITES. They live and breed to take your breath, and your home and your investment away. Read all about them online, DO your due diligence. BEFORE you plan your landscaping, and after your exterior dirt is the way it will stay.

If your budgeted expense did not include TERMITE RESISTaNT sheetrock(apparently a fairly new product, so it MUST be created for a need)... IF YOUR budget, did not buyTREATED LUMBER(just a deterrent, not a prevention) WHERE the plate meets the concrete.... IF you have peers and beam foundation, and your budget did not place a metal barrier(aluminum tin?) atop the concrete peer before the beams for the floor were installed, IF you saved money and used fingerjoint, or softwoods,(choose staingrade hard woods even if you want to paint it, termites will walk right over that in a fingerjoint paint grade window trim and take out that 'soft cellulose' and keep working around the hardwood that may be alternated or not in any given piece of window trim inside, for example) or sometimes called PAINT GRADE WOODS, on all your interior trim that comes in contact with the sheetrock and lumber. Before you choose spray on foam insulation, or batt insulation with PAPER(cellulose)on one side......teach yourself which one might be better for your environment. or if there are OTHER options......and how to try to not become the lead target for the next rainy season, or swarm of flying insects! !

Learn how to help yourself. It pays way better than your job does...... Most experts in their field, will never expect to think to tell you to avoid placing plants and shrub lines within the dripline or 2 feet(3 or 4 ft might be better?) of your home walls, and lumber retailers won't explain to you how great an idea it is to use a borate treatment on the lumber before you put it in your walls--- or your fence??

Others won't suggest to you that FILL DIRT might bring with it more than just WEED SEED, it has a small chance depending on the area, and potentially, can bring all matter of pests from grubs to ...termites.....as can the other earthen soils used to help construct a home...you could have options to treat or have the soil analyzed perhaps?? if you inquire? Those who are area professionals may have options for you to consider?

Just 2 places that teach alot about dealing with the problem, but there are more out there and in videos too on greatly enhancing the main point: AVOIDING the problem.... https://www.domyown.com/termites-c-3.html or this: https://www.solutionsstores.com/

You can do this yourself? Just one idea is, and there are a variety of options, to create a barrier with fibpronil on the exterior perimeter of your home after the soil is settled...it makes a barrier for years, you do not want to disturb with digging up against your home, so wait till the ground is settled ---and it can degrade sooner with time if you live in a rainy season/area..Contact your local authorities if you need questions and service...they exist to help and make a profit, you can help them by being informed & knowing there is a balance of information and concern, but knowledge is for you there to learn in videos and many websites you can find if you go looking, look for the more recent headlines or news, so you don't miss the new things that they have now which maybe did not exist 10 or 5 years ago??..

..You can purchase red button 'termite traps' , the directions tell you how and where to bury near your new homes perimeter, or old, you can purchase traps for your interior walls, designed to let you know if the pests get close to moving in--or if it's too late.......... Learn why and how to make the best decisions on keeping your home structure an UNINVITING place for these creatures. The new 'bait traps' are a great idea!! The Red button disappears into the tube if they have consumed the cellulose(their addiction)and you know you better get your perimeter protected if you have not..

One more proposal or consideration to plan carefully, don't plant vines on a pergola to root into your exterior siding... vines attract ants. Fireants, are a predator for TERMITES. As are salamanders......You don't want ants, or termites that close to your exterior walls. Those pictures of ivy on the old stucco walls of the castles, really are roots that make holes that let RAIN pour into your modern structure......when the plant is removed or disintegrates..

Take appropriate steps and stay diligent, this is one pest that can make you cry, with no odor, very little noise, and if you are seeing changes in the appearance of the inside or outside of your home or barn or tree house or play house...know what you are up against, so you react and create an ongoing plan, BEFORE you see the obvious signs. Thanks for sharing your journey. Spread the news that prevention is worth 100s of pounds of building materials, and hundreds of dollars of cure, for anyone that lives in a home, or builds a new home. It is very important.

• whaas_5a
    5 years ago

I‘d plan for the pergala design now so you can place the lights appropriately.

do you have anyone that can make a scaled drawing for you?

will your garage doors be white?

• Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @greenfish- thanks! And thank you for all your advice. I agree no greenery on the pergola pointless. We will definitely be putting greenery on it.

@whaas - I could try to get one but could also make it as well. I definitely want to plan the lights accordingly...
  • Joyful Hearts
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Funny you asked about the garage. At one point we told the builder black garage and I think they still have that down...I was just thinking earlier tonight that I needed to make sure to change that with them. I don’t love the white garage they use with the white siding on other houses. We have a White House now and recently painted the garage and door trim grey and I really really like it. It’s not much different than the white and helps since it isn’t two different shades of white. A fancy wood garage or faux wood garage would be awesome but not something we are committed to right now. Turns out our new neighbor has a garage business so he said he would do labor for us no cost if we did decide to upgrade later. Gonna take what we can get right now “free” from the builder. So given the fact that we are doing the standard garage right now any thoughts on color? Should I push my husband for a fancy one now. (Although he may kill me) :P thanks again!!