SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpoanie

Dispute with builder

Joaniepoanie
5 years ago

Hello, I normally hangout in other forums but this is specific to homebuilding so I hope you can help me.

We purchased a home from a large national builder. We were living out of state, about three hundred miles away and, at the urging of our realtor, got an inspector to do the pre-drywall inspection. We were here for the final walkthrough.

Once we moved in we realized that the switch for the dining room light was 30” in from the corner of the wall. We also noticed that, on the same wall, the outlet for plugging in the wall-mounted TV is 36” from the cable receptacle. The placement of these makes it impossible to arrange furniture on the wall or hang the TV with cords hidden. These were items that just didn’t register as being wrong until we moved in with the furniture. They obviously didn’t register with any of the inspectors either.

After going up the first chain of command, in an effort to appease us, they have agreed to move the outlet for the TV (the easier of the two) but not the DR light switch, stating that the locations of outlets and switches are not guaranteed or under warranty. We have a three month and one year inspection. Aren’t these to correct mistakes after the fact.....things that were missed in the walkthrough? Our argument is that they were placed incorrectly, not just by a few inches, but feet! Furthermore, of the 12 same model of house we know of in the subdivision, ours is the only one with the wonky placement. We even took pictures of three other houses under construction to prove our point. Clearly, they messed up and ours are outside what would be considered standard practice or the norm. I don’t think we should have to pay an electrician to move the switch when this is not an issue for the other 12 homeowners with our model and was clearly haphazard workmanship on their part.

Thank you for any information or advice.

Comments (20)