SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Have an Interview Today

amykath
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Some of you know my story. I am getting a divorce and it has been pretty rough. A good friend of mine shared a contact and we are meeting today about a potential job. It is pretty entry level but I need to find something since I haven't worked in 6 years. I am super nervous.

I ask that you keep me in your thoughts and send good vibes. I seriously feel like I might throw up I am so nervous. I am on my own now and a stranger to the workplace. I just hope I do not make a bad impression or say the wrong things.

Wish me luck!!

Comments (237)

• amykath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well he and a friend are moving everything into my new place and he went and had the cats vaccinated and drove them from Ft. Worth to my old house. He is herding them back up and bringing them to me. He is doing all he can to help. We are on very good terms. Truth is our relationship was not good for either of us. We have talked a great deal about it. We have already agreed to terms on settlement and I have a lawyer who has drawn it all up. My husband does not have a lawyer. I am very happy we are on good terms. He will not be coming to my place except to drop off all of my things. Our divorce is final in early November. I am happy with the way things have worked out, You guys just have to take my word on that. ;)

• eld6161
    5 years ago

Thank you for sharing this Amy. Divorces can be amicable.

amykath thanked eld6161
  • Related Discussions

copper backsplash came today, and I have having second thoughts

Q

Comments (52)
    nasalzak, The tiles you have should be mesh backed. You can "peel" individual tiles off and replace them with tiles of the same size. This can be done while still doing the install as a 12x12 sheet. I believe jodi in ca did this with her Jeffrey Court Fire and Ice backsplash. She took off some darker ones and added lighter glass tiles to brighten it up. Make sure the little tiles are the same size (they often say they are 1x1 but are actually 5/8 x5/8) and the same thickness (1/4 or 1/8). If you then wanted to get really creative you could insert/sprinkle some red glass in the copper, create a 3" or so wide strip of border, and continue with the copper above that. You wouldn't need that much redish glass tile depending on how much backsplash space you have. HOpe that helps a little.
    ...See More

My interview today

Q

Comments (14)
    Sounds promising! I'll say one thing. I sure admire your optimism and ability to keep looking, even after some disappointments. Keep up the good work. Maybe this is the job that was meant to be.
    ...See More

I got a Job Interview

Q

Comments (11)
    Good thinking to call a place at which you've were working as a student, as they know you already. Much good luck to you Melanie.
    ...See More

I have an interview on Monday!

Q

Comments (25)
    thank you all! I'm pretty excited! I loved teaching, but had been the cook at my last employment, because it had the earlier time and because the "teachers" there aren't really allowed to teach because the children were constantly being moved around, so sometimes, a teacher would have a totally different group of kids in their room. Very sad. A former co-worker now works at this center I applied to, and likes it VERY much! She has also been putting in good words for me, which I am VERY thankful for. I will either be with toddlers, preschoolers or school age children. Any of those will be a lot of fun, and I look forward to it.
    ...See More
  • amykath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, they can. I do not like animosity or anger. I hope that we will always care for each other given we spent nine years together. I know I have written some things that make him sound like a real jerk and he is not perfect, but neither am i. I think you have to live in a person's shoes to really know the extent of everything.

• rubyclaire
    5 years ago

So happy to hear your relationship with your soon-to-be ex is amicable - that will serve you well in this tough transition. I must say, you are nothing if not decisive and adaptable. It is very impressive and you are off to an amazing start on this new chapter!

amykath thanked rubyclaire
  • amykath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you Ruby!

• yeonassky
    5 years ago

Well everything can happen once in a while even an amicable divorce so I believe you. Glad you and your cats will soon be reunited. Best in your new life!

amykath thanked yeonassky
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

(my divorce was much more amicable than my marriage, that's for sure.

Also divorces are shorter..historically...well mine was. You weigh twenty year of relationhip against several months or, okay, years if kids are involved ..it's more doable, to make it amicable, if both put all their mind and strenght to it. Never ever easy, but possible)

it looks like a very nice apartment, Amy! I like that little desk area.

amykath thanked aprilneverends
  • just_terrilynn
    5 years ago

I'm so happy for this smoother transition! It's not good for the head to live with anger. This is really good.

amykath thanked just_terrilynn
  • User
    5 years ago

The important thing is that YOU are happy, Amy. I have heard of very few amicable divorces usually because one or both sides don't want it to be. That sure isn't the case with you and your soon to be ex. Kudos to both of you for being mature adults. Here's to your new exciting chapter!

amykath thanked User
  • texanjana
    5 years ago

I think your new kitchen looks nice and am glad to hear things are amicable with your soon to be ex. That’s a positive outcome!

amykath thanked texanjana
  • amykath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am not sure if I mentioned I was married before. I know, second divorce!!! Eeek! I am still friends with him. He is remarried and has two young boys. He is one of the best men I have ever known. I just didn't feel the romantic love I should have with him and I wanted for both of us to be happy. I am so glad he is. I want to be able to be friends with this ex husband as well. I will always have a place in my heart for him. I know he feels the same. Anger is a terrible emotion and I am glad that I am not having to deal with that emotion on top of all of the others.

Thank you guys... for understanding!

• Olychick
    5 years ago

The light covers: I agree - most are not anything I'd want, at least in a kitchen, but I do kind of like this and the other night sky ones:

amykath thanked Olychick
  • lascatx
    5 years ago

Amy, the people I have known who have been able to divorce amicably have gone on to live happier and healthier lives. I think you are on a good path and wish you the best.

amykath thanked lascatx
  • 3katz4me
    5 years ago

I was wondering about your cats - glad to hear they will be with you shortly. I work with someone who split up and has shared custody of the dogs. DH and I have said a few times we'd never be able to get a divorce because the custody battle over the cats would be too difficult. Glad you had no issues with that.

amykath thanked 3katz4me
  • User
    5 years ago

Amy, your apartment is really nice! I love that it has an island and that it can accomodate a couple of stools. Regarding your ex’s, just from what we know of you here, your endings don’t surprise me at all and it’s to the credit of both of you. I can’t believe how much you’ve been able to accomplish in such a short period of time. It’s truly amazing.

amykath thanked User
  • blfenton
    5 years ago

Your kitchen is quite nice and it's great that it's open to the living space.

I'm glad that the divorce settlement has gone smoothly and as long as you are happy with the process and the finality then so are we. ((((hugs))))

amykath thanked blfenton
  • amykath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you guys for understanding. I am so relieved that my soon to be ex and I are friends. I know in a short period of time we will no longer really communicate, but I believe we will always hold a special place in each others hearts, despite the fact we were not right for one another.

I moved into my apartment yesterday. I will not be able to fully decorate for about a month. I agreed to let my husband keep the furniture through October since we have guests staying at the house through then (airbnb). I will have a couch and some lamps, end tables coffee table and tv..... just not everything I want and need to spruce up the place.

I took of picture of my kitchen, It doesn't have anything cute going on yet bc I will have to wait on all of that. I want to buy some lamps and do some other things to make it more homey. I think for now it looks pretty good. I am also including a pic of my view from my balcony. I love my new place and the ppl seem nice and closer to my age. I am glad there aren't a lot of younger people like college students here. I know how much noise I made in college and now feel so terrible for it. My poor neighbors!

Not bad for an affordable apartment.

• westsider40
    5 years ago

It’s a lovely place. You are doing so well in plannng your new life. Congrats.

amykath thanked westsider40
  • skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    5 years ago

I think it's great! Treat yourself to a nice bouquet of your favorite flowers.

amykath thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • User
    5 years ago

Affordable AND very nice! That kitchen island really sets the tone. You’ll do wonders with your new home.

amykath thanked User
  • Yayagal
    5 years ago

Wow, you are so fortunate to get through all this and still be decent to each other, I'm proud of that the most.

amykath thanked Yayagal
  • blfenton
    5 years ago

You already have island lighting and if you were to redirect the ceiling light on the far right and maybe get a couple of lamps that can lean over the top of the cabinets for task lighting you may not have to do anything with the current lighting fixture.

We've used the adhesive puck lights in a couple of closets and they work really well.

Nice view! Which direction does that face?

amykath thanked blfenton
  • Olychick
    5 years ago

Wow, that is a great view for an apt. I always assume much more urban views, esp for affordable. You seem to lead a bit of a charmed life, even in the throes of difficulties!

amykath thanked Olychick
  • Joaniepoanie
    5 years ago

Nice kitchen and a great view....I know you will make your new place cozy and confortable. Just wonderful that your relationship with your ex is on good terms and that the divorce is too. Have you started your new job yet? So glad things are going better than expected.

amykath thanked Joaniepoanie
  • amykath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks you guys!

blfelton, the apartment windows face west.

Joanie, I start my job tomorrow. I am a bit nervous but I am sure once I am there I will feel better. Everyone is very nice.

I will keep you guys posted!

Amy

• 3katz4me
    5 years ago

Looks very nice! Good luck on your first day at the new job.

amykath thanked 3katz4me
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

Good luck tomorrow, Amy! Will send good vibes your way. I think you are really going to enjoy working.

amykath thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • amykath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you!! I will let you know how it goes.

• texanjana
    5 years ago

Your view is fantastic. Good luck tomorrow at your new job. You will do great.

amykath thanked texanjana
  • Joaniepoanie
    5 years ago

Good luck tomorrow...you will do fine!

amykath thanked Joaniepoanie
  • lascatx
    5 years ago

Gorgeous view! Hope the new job transition does smoothly and is a good fit. I know you will do well.

• yeonassky
    5 years ago

I'm so happy for you that you have found a clear start for your new life. All the best in your new job!

amykath thanked yeonassky
  • Bonnie
    5 years ago

Thinking of you today Amy. Hope your first day went well!

• nutsaboutplants
    5 years ago

How did it go? Do you work over the weekend also (since it’s ER) or do you have the weekend off?

• amykath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bonnie and Nuts, thanks for thinking of me today. Thank you you all for thinking of me!

Today went well. I think it should be pretty easy to catch on. Everyone was very nice and the place is super laid back. It is funny bc I am working with girls young enough to be my daughters. However, I do not think of myself as so old! One girl guessed I was 29 or 30. That made my day. I am 45. When I told her my age she told me that her mom was 45. haha

• Bonnie
    5 years ago

Glad it went well on day one! Only good things lie ahead for you Amy!

amykath thanked Bonnie
  • amykath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Bonnie!!! CPR today and then I have the day to myself. After today I am working 12 hour shifts pretty much everyday for a while. I have Tuesday off. Did I mention I have to work 12 hour night shifts too. Man, I am not looking forward to that.

I am having trouble with my cat waking me up through the night I might have to start a new post on how to deal with that. It is causing me to get very little sleep which I desperately need for my emotional and physical state. I am starting to feel drained and a bit emotional. Guess that is to be expected since it hasn't been long since I learned I was getting a divorce.

• cooper8828
    5 years ago

Your cat is going through a big change also. If he has never done this before, I am sure he will get back to normal soon. Mine go through phases where they start partying about 3 AM. Luckily, it doesn't happen often.

amykath thanked cooper8828
  • Bunny
    5 years ago

Your cats will settle down. They don't do change well.

amykath thanked Bunny
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

I’m glad your first day at work went so well. Twelve hours are hard! DD does it, but not as much as she used to, fortunately. The main thing is to try to get your rest on those days off.

Love your view!

amykath thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Bonnie
    5 years ago

CPR must be a requirement for your job. I teach CPR and am always happy to hear when somebody becomes certified and is able to help save lives! Give the cats time to become familiar with their new home. You have received some good suggestions.

12 hour shifts will certainly keep you busy, but maybe that's a good thing. Hang in there and know that I (and many here) are thinking of you. Hugs, my friend!

amykath thanked Bonnie
  • Joaniepoanie
    5 years ago

I'm happy to hear your first day went well. You are really working 12 hour shifts, six days a week? Yikes!

• amykath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This week I work 7 12 hour shifts. I am PRN so I am working when they need me. I have to train for two more days. Then I took the shifts that were available which has me working a lot this week. After this week, I will have two weeks off. Hopefully I can pick up some more shifts during that time. Hopefully soon I will be full time.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

Sounds like a tough week, but it will be a good way to get acclimated too.

amykath thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

very tough. but they have amazing person for the job. I mean you, Amy. You amaze me really

please take a good care of yourself. Don't forget that important part

amykath thanked aprilneverends
  • Funkyart
    5 years ago

When you set your mind to something, Amy.. you are ALL in! It does sound like a long, tough week but your rewards are great too. Hang in there and know we're all sending you good vibes!

amykath thanked Funkyart
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

You rock, Amy. One million atta girls!! That hospital is lucky to have you.

amykath thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • amykath
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You guys are so amazing. Thank you for the encouragement and kind words. Turns out I have today off. My boss changed my schedule. So, I work tomorrow, Thursday and Saturday. Then not again until Monday. I am happy to work as much as I can. However 12 hour shifts are long. The ER stays pretty busy so that helps time go by faster.

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

I am glad to hear this! My DD is in the ER and 3 days in a row of trauma are all she can take! Get some rest.

• Joaniepoanie
    5 years ago

Happy that the crazy schedule is temporary.....also that your schedule changed so you have some time off. Fingers crossed you will soon be permanent with a set schedule.