SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnar1957

Refrigerator woes....

donnar57
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

OK, a little history first. When we renovated the kitchen, 11 years ago, we kept our Whirlpool side-by-side. Other than some yucky door shelves (that kept falling out until someone on here offered a solution), it was working okay when we decided to replace it. It was then 15 years old, so we knew it was going to need replacing.

Unfortunately, what we replaced it with was a Samsung 4-door unit -- the kind with the flex drawer and freezer below and the two doors above. Ice maker and water. It worked fine for about two years. We have spent the last year with service calls, all stemming from the same issue: the "twin cooling" unit in the back freezes up and stops working. It makes a lot of noise when it starts to freeze up then when it is completely frozen, it stops. Service call. They thaw it out, service it, and go on their way. We have had them out at least once every other month. When they came out on August 2nd, they put the fridge so that is a little bit unlevel (higher in the front than in the back), the doors now close better, and serviced the cooling unit again. We had hoped this would solve the problem. Nope, we have the same problem again. It's gotten so that we keep our old mini-fridge in another part of the kitchen, to put our refrigerated stuff in. (BTW, the Flex Drawer keeps cold, as done the freezer. The ice maker keeps working but it drips a bit.)

I understand that Samsung has been handed a Class Action Suit for these fridges. But in the meantime, we have two choices: hang in there and get a service call every other month until our warranty (extended type) runs out in May 2021, or buy a new fridge and junk this piece of crud.

If we were to buy a new fridge, I think we are looking to go back to the old side-by-side style. When looking at the 3-door and 4-door fridges by other manufacturers, I see versions of "twin cooling" in the backs of those. No thank you. Burned once, shy twice. I don't see that in Frigidaire, Whirlpool and GE side-by-sides. We do want one with the water dispenser and ice maker, as this kitchen is plumbed for it. Has anyone purchased one of these brands side-by-side in the past three years, and how has it held up for you? Warranty issues? Noise issues? (We have had our share of noise with the Samsung.)

Or, is there another solution to this Samsung problem? If the extended-warranty-repairs weren't an issue, I'd keep this fridge. Is there a solution to the problem that we have not tried?

THANK YOU for reading this long novel....

Donna

Comments (10)