SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_246637035

Wilting leaf on philodendron (hope)

Nita T
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I bought my first few houseplants about a month ago and I'm learning to care for them.

This morning I found a discolored and mushy leaf on the philodendron. I would like your help with understanding the condition and cause.

This plant came in a 9.5" pot from a reputable nursery where it was fertilized weekly. After I got it home, in a few days, I took out a few mushy looking stem coverings, wiped the leaves with mild soap and water solution, added an inch of Miracle Grow potting mix as top soil, watered it (until it drained thoroughly and air dried), and placed it in a larger plastic container by a south window (half open blinds) for bright indirect light. After few days (10 or so) the stems appeared droopy but leaves did not appear dry. After another day or so, the top one/two inches of soil was dry to touch, and I watered it again in above manner. The stems perked up. About 5 new leaves opened up around this time, and one of these leaves had a light green/yellow triangular patch with brown center, which I cut off trying to preserve the central vein. After another week to 10 days, the stems looked droopy but the soil was still moist. So, I asked an expert at a local nursery (not where I purchased this plant from) about droopy stems and she suggested trying the bottom soaking method. Her reasoning was that so much new growth required better and deeper soak. I reluctantly tried this for 15 minutes and drained off the remaining water. The stems remained droopy. I moved the plant away from the south window into a room with south/south east exposure around 10 ft from window thinking perhaps the heat is drying up the leaves and weakening the stems because A/c might have reduced humidity in my apartment; plant is not underneath the vent but close enough. I then wrote to the nursery and they believed that stems weren't drooping but since the plant has propensity for crown rot, I should not have topped it off with heavy soil and asked me to use the weight of the pot to guide watering frequency. Next morning I found this wiling leaf- see attached.

Do I need to scrape off the Miracle Grow soil from the top? I lam not comfortable with exploring root system on my own and ideally would like to not repot until spring (same size pot but change soil etc). Is this leaf wilting? if so, is it normal aging or from overwatering or any other reason?

Thank you in advance.

Comments (17)