SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saypoint

I’m distraught over my friend’s dog

Sorry this is long. I may be over-reacting, my husband thinks I’m being too hard on myself. I’ve been pet sitting for my friend, who lives across the street, while they’re in Europe for two weeks. Their dog is a small terrier, a bit spoiled and high maintenance, but sweet. Everything has been going very well for almost two weeks, I Cook her meals, special treats for particiular daily events, allergy meds, bedtime routines with special cookies eaten on the bed, and go out in my pajamas to stand over her while she pees at 4 a.m. So some predator does’t make off with her. wash her face and clean her eyes daily. Cuddle on the couch every night. Everything has been perfect up until today.

She had some loose stools and I needed to wash her bum so I put her in the sink and soaped and rinsed. When I took her out to towel her off I noticed her girl parts had a lot of dirt hanging from the hair. Yep, I tried to use scissors to snip It off instead of getting out the small clippers. I don’t now what I was thinking, the scissors were handy and the hair was long between the dirty part and the girl parts. I nicked Her.

I was horrified. There wasn’t much blood, a drop or two, but she would not hold still so I could get a good look at the damage, so i called the vet to have it looked at and texted my friend about what happened. Vet said small nick, no treatment needed, it would heal on its own, just some clavamox to prevent infection for 5 days. I texted my friend to update her and apologized again for what happened.

I’ve been crying all day. If it was my dog, I’d feel very bad about the accident and move on. But this is someone else’s dog. How can I face her after I hurt her dog while she was in my care.? she’s due home Sunday, but it wouldn’t surprise me if she came home a day early because of the dog. She hasn’t responded to my texts, I don’t know why. Maybe she’s so furious she doesn’t know what to say/? No reception? She hasn’t seen my text yet? She may never speak to me again.

I’ve been crying all day since it happened. So much that I made myself sick. Now I can’t sleep, I keep expecting a knock on the door in the middle of the night and seeing my irate friend and her husband come for their dog.

I’m absolutely heartsick about this. Disapproval or an angry response from this particular friend would be devastating to me to an unhealthy degree. It’s a weird long-time relationship in which I’ve been made to feel inferior for a long time, for a variety of reasons. As I said, not healthy, probably not good that I live so close to her that frequent contact is inevitable. I’m actually contemplating moving over this situation, that’s how upset I am. We just moved in here 18 months ago.

Just needed to vent. DH doesn’t understand why I could feel so bad, he would never fret so much over something like this.

Comments (55)