SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_34778179

Builder's crew cleared too many trees. Do I have any options?

User
5 years ago

We are working with a builder that I like very much overall. We bought a large parcel of land that needed a driveway cut, land cleared/graded (it was all woods), and a house built. The house should be completed in mid-Jan, so we still have work ahead of us meaning the job is not finished and I still need to work with this builder. I don't want to set a bad tone for the remainder of the project, but I have an issue.

During the clearing, he was to clear one area that we wanted for a particular use to be about 300 feet long and 12 feet wide. We walked it a number of times and marked trees as to the path to cut. He wasn't there the day his crew did the work and they instead cut a path about 35 to 45 feet wide and only about 100 feet long. I've expressed to the builder a few times that I'm very unhappy about this loss of shade that would have been provided by the trees that were removed, and that I was billed for the work they did on this part (and it's not yet completed). He tells me they will cut the rest of the trees when they do final grading. Aside from saying "he's as upset as I am" about it (ahem), nothing has been offered by way of a solution. It's as if he hopes I'll just forget about it and move on--mistakes happen.

The trees are gone and I don't feel I have many options here. Even if I press for them to knock something off the bill, I feel they may just bill me more or cut corners on some other part of the job. I've thought of asking them for a refund or a lower bill, or for them to plant some trees, or possibly for their carpenter to put up a basic structure for shade.

Any thoughts on this scenario? Any ideas about how to find a compromise solution? Or am I just stuck with this wide open area now with no recourse?

Thank you.

Comments (39)