SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Help me with the new Read Me -- what device do you use?

Buehl
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

So it has recently been brought to my attention that some devices are very limited as to the available functionality on the Houzz site.

What device do you use? What functions do you know you cannot use b/c of the device you're on?

E.g., I was just told that if you're on a phone, you cannot edit a thread you just started -- yet, on a laptop/desktop, you have 1 hour to edit it.

What else is missing?

I'm in the process of testing the Silk browser on my Kindle Fire, but so far, I've seen all the same functionality (including allowing me to edit a new thread).

I usually use a desktop/laptop.

I rarely use my phone b/c it's too difficult to type a longer/edited post.

So, do you use:

• Laptop/desktop?

Phone?

• Android phone -- if so, which one?
  • iPhone -- if so, which one (although, there are far less options than Android)

Tablet?

• Kindle Fire
  • Android tablet
  • MS Surface -- if so, which one?
  • iPad - if so, which one?

Edited to add: I'm thinking of adding some of this information to the new "Read Me" thread.

[Hey! You can now edit your Subject as well!]

Comments (20)

• Boxerpal
    5 years ago

Thank you Buehl,

I use Chromebook by Google. (like a laptop combo notebook) I have no issues, I can use and do everything. I do not use my phone. I prefer to only go on Houzz on my chromebook keeping it simple. My browser is Google-Chrome. I have not had an issue with editing either. If I make a spelling error and notice a week later, I can go and edit a response post. Not sure about a primary started thread post. That may be different. I rarely start threads.

Thanks again, ~boxer

Buehl thanked Boxerpal
  • sherri1058
    5 years ago

I typically use my laptop because using my phone or ipad is too cumbersome for me... I prefer to type on a real keyboard! I will read posts on my phone if i'm out, but don't do a lot of posting. I'm with Fori, with all the changes to Gardenweb, now Houzz, I really don't care so much anymore.

Buehl thanked sherri1058
  • bry911
    5 years ago

So it has recently been brought to my attention that some devices are very limited as to the available functionality on the Houzz site.

I read the thread that I presume led to this post, and I suspect people are simply not using all of the tools on their devices.

In Chrome right click on the three dots in the upper right hand corner and a dropdown menu will appear. Select "Desktop site" and the site will reload with full functionality. Just toggle it off for faster loading when done.

On iphones using safari hold down the refresh button and a menu will appear. Again select "Desktop site" and you will have full functionality.

Buehl thanked bry911
  • badgergal
    5 years ago

I use an iPhone7 or my iPad Air and I am able to edit my posts on both of these devices. I'm not sure the what the actual edit time frame is. I do not have to hold down the refresh button to get a menu/full functionality that bry911 mentions.

ETA: I get they edit button when I am posting a reply. I have not initiated a post to see if I get the edit function on that.

ETA again to say that I do not use the Houzz app on either my phone or iPad

Buehl thanked badgergal
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

I use the full desktop site on my iPhone. I have the same functionality as I do on my PC. The HOUZZ app is worthless for accessing the forums. I have not used it since I uninstalled it over a year ago.

Buehl thanked Chessie
  • cawaps
    5 years ago

I use two different laptops (and when Houzz was transitioning had an entirely different experience on each). Both using chrome.

On very rare occasions I use my Samsung Android phone. I have no idea which phone it is.

Buehl thanked cawaps
  • beachem
    5 years ago

I’m always on iPhone and reading or commenting while I’m doing other stuff. This is why I keep disliking Houzz more and more each time they “improve”. I use Safari. Their app is worse.

Their UX designer/programmers sucks.

Buehl thanked beachem
  • damiarain
    5 years ago

I use Chrome generally on my iPhone but also (for longer comments) on my MacBook. Thanks!

Buehl thanked damiarain
  • Buehl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for your responses so far!

So, based on your responses, there really isn't any reduction in functionality when using a browser (Chrome, Safari, Silk, etc.)...there may be slight differences in how you get to something, but all functionality is present.

However, it sounds like the Houzz App may not be the same and may, in fact, be missing functions or, at least, be more difficult to use and find the various functions.

Does anyone use the app as opposed to a browser when using this site?

Keep your comments coming, please!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

I use mostly my MacBook, in Safari or Chrome, for ease of typing (which I don't enjoy at all on a teeny tiny cellphone).

Buehl thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • mabeldingeldine
    5 years ago

I use my Mac laptop 90% of the time, with the Google or Safari browser.. The other 10% I use my iPad with Google, but rarely comment and never post from the iPad. I am not interested in downloading the Houzz App.

Buehl thanked mabeldingeldine
  • jmm1837
    5 years ago
    I use Firefox on my desktop PC, but tend to use the app on my little android tablet. It's good enogh for reading articles and making short comments, but has nothing like the functionality of the browser version.
    Buehl thanked jmm1837
  • beachem
    5 years ago

@Buehl it’s not the functionality but the design. It’s weird looking on my iPhone and I lose my place all the time. Also I can’t get any other topic than kitchen or haven’t figured it out yet.

BTW, I happened to be on my laptop today and I couldn’t get past page one of the forum. They coded the pages wrong so no matter what, I got an error message when I tried to go to the next page. It was in Chrome.

Buehl thanked beachem
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

"They coded the pages wrong so no matter what, I got an error message when I tried to go to the next page."

I don't ever use "pages". Where are you using those? What is "page one" of the forum?

Buehl thanked Chessie
  • Buehl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Pagination is on the bottom of the list when using a desktop/laptop. There are 30 threads per page. Page 1 displays the most recent 30 threads that meet your criteria -- whether via a search or using the filters/tabs (Latest, Featured, Popular, Unanswered -- default is Latest)

You can scroll through the thread list using the page #s, the "Next Page" button, or the left-pointing arrows ("<<" and "<").

You can also go directly to a specific page by modifying the URL.

First, though, you need to understand how the #s work and how they indicate what a page a particular page is:

If you look at the URL and use a bit of arithmetic, you can figure out the page #:

Page 1 never has a #: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/kitchbath

What's displayed? It depends

Subsequent pages have a "/p/##" at the end of the URL. If you divide the ## by 30 and add 1, you can tell what page it is:

So, to go to a particular page, do the reverse:

• To go to page 50: 50 x 30 = 1,500 - 1 = 1,499
    • Add "/p/1499" to the end of the URL on the first page and it should take you to page 50.
    • (Or, if you're already on any page other than page 1, change the ## in the URL to 1499.)
  • Buehl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Top of thread list filters/tabs:

Pagination pictures....

Page 1:

Page 9:

Page 167:

Note the comment on the far left -- only 5,010 most recent threads are available via the thread list.

• fifamom
    5 years ago
    iPhone 6plus
    Buehl thanked fifamom
  • fifamom
    5 years ago
    Houzz app
    Buehl thanked fifamom
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

Buehl

Pagination is on the bottom of the list when using a desktop/laptop. There are 30 threads per page. Page 1 displays the most recent 30 threads that meet your criteria -- whether via a search or using the filters/tabs (Latest, Featured, Popular, Unanswered -- default is Latest)

Ah...gotcha. Yeah I never use them so I never really noticed them. Never use the filters either.