SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_ca

A new source of vintage David Austin Roses

john_ca
5 years ago

There have been a number of discussions on these rose forums about the frustration that some are feeling that so many of the earlier releases of David Austin roses are no longer available. As someone who has been growing these roses over 3 decades and at 3 different homes, I am disappointed that many of these earlier roses have been declared 'superceded' by his newer releases; and its a struggle to find some varieties that I grew 2 houses ago. Not all of his early releases were winners, but there is a good number of them that are either rare or out of commerce and had unique charm in flower form, fragrance and/or plant type.

Working in coordination with another Austin enthusiast (Summermorning), we have identified a company who has agreed to help preserve these varieties. Summermorning lives in upstate NY, close to the Canadian border. She crosses the border to pick up roses at Palatine Roses site at Niagra-on-the-Lake, Ontario and knows the owner, Rene Schmitz. She phoned him and asked him if he would be interested in propagating some of these early Austin varieties. He said he was interested and I emailed him my list of 112 DAR's that I am now growing. He looked at the list and identified the ones that he would like to have for this project. I was surprised that he selected 62!

It took my wife and I 5 hours to harvest and label the 2 'budding sticks' that he wanted. In accordance with his instructions, we had the cuttings inspected and received the Phytosanitary Certificate that he needed for the shipment. He specified that he wanted it to be sent overnight, so we had to send the package to Summermorning in NY, because the USPS could not guarantee overnight delivery to a Canadian address. When the parcel arrived, Summermorning shuttled it to Rene on the US side of the border and Rene crossed the border with all the necessary documents.

Rene had scheduled for a professional 'budder' to fly over from the UK to work a 10 day stint to do all the budding for Palatine Roses production for the current year. As it turned out, the budder arrived the day after the parcel arrived and Rene had him do this Austin project before the main project. The budder was pleased with the quality of the budwood and was able to graft 10 to 17 scions onto Rosa multiflora rootstock plantsts for each of the 62 entries. Rene said that the grafting went well and he is already seeing a bit of callus development on the grafted plants. He said that he does not know how many of these plants will survive the winter. He says that he is reserving the first 3 plants of each variety, to plant in a 'germplasm preservation' garden. Unlike grafted plants in California that spend 2 full summers in the field before harvest and sale, the Canadian grafted plants are harvested after a single summer. And so there may be at least of few plants of many of these roses for sale in the fall of 2019/spring 2020. Hopefully, this effort will preserve these worthy roses for at least a few more years.

Comments (160)