FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
rick7072

I know I should know what this is…

Rick (zone 6b, MA)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

What is this plant? This herbaceous plant just showed up in my flower bed, about a foot tall, outside of Boston. Pinnately compound leaves. Ignore the Gladiolus stems.

Flower buds underneath the leaf stalk:

Comments (8)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

Chamaecrista nictitans - Sensitive Partridge Pea?

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
    3 years ago

Yes, that one is Phyllanthus urinaria, since it lacks leaves on the primary stem, has flowers on short pedicels, and staminate flowers toward the tips of branches.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

Ahh, the 2nd pic was not there when I responded. So many of these look similar with just the 1st pic, for me at least.

• Rick (zone 6b, MA)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Peren.all, I edited my message to add the second photo a few minutes after originally posting. And honestly, I was kind of hoping it was partridge pea, but it sure looks like Phyllanthus urinaria, and I just pulled it out. At first I was wondering how a weed of the tropics and the southern US ended up in my garden in Boston (I garden in a lot of flower beds in the area and have never seen it before), and then I realized: the seeds probably hitched a ride in the package of Gladiolus nanus bulbs I planted in spring of last year. The plants were growing right next to and even inside the glad. So it goes to show: anything you get from a nursery has the possibility of being contaminated with something, so be careful.

• Rick (zone 6b, MA)
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I hope I got it out in time. I convinced myself that those were flower buds hanging down on the pedicels but now I'm not convinced they weren't fruits. I'd contact the grower of the gladiolus bulbs, but what good would it do? They're doing the best they can, and I'm sure their procedures for quality control are no different than anyone else. Thanks for the heads-up, everyone.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    3 years ago

The weed is often commonly called Chamberbitter. A real pest.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner