SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

September 2018, Week 2, Try To Remember.....

Since we're starting out the new week with lovely mild weather following tons of rain in many areas, and at least modest rain almost everywhere, here's a nice nostalgic song about a beautiful time of the year. (So many of the September songs I found are about heartbreak and sad things, but this song has a lovely message.)

Try To Remember

Garden chores this week might include weeding if you can do it safely without finding venomous snakes or falling into big mud puddles, or perhaps mowing and edging lawn areas if the grass is dry enough. Cool season crops still can be planted---refer to the OSU Fall Gardening guide for specific dates, and in some parts of the state, it still is too hot to sow spinach seeds, but lettuce could be planted now. Much depends on your pest insect load---we still have a ton of grasshoppers here and they still are devouring new foliage on plants in the garden. Watch out for increased snake activity, which is only a problem with venomous snakes. I don't mind seeing the non-venomous ones as long as they aren't trying to eat our eggs in the chicken coop.

Harvesting can continue for quite some time yet with fall crops, and watch for rain-related fungal and bacterial diseases as it is hard to avoid them if you've had a lot of moisture and high humidity. There's some lovely autumn plants arriving in garden centers and nurseries now, but I don't plant a lot in fall, mostly because of the snake issue. I do have a couple of containers near the house that might get some sort of fall annual color added to them.

Temperatures this week remain below average as our week starts, but in some parts of the state will warm up quite a bit by the end of the week. I confess that I look at the nighttime lows in the panhandle and feel relieved that we aren't quite that cool here yet.

I'd love to see a long, mild autumn but, of course, it seems like we rarely get what we're hoping for, so I'm watching for signs of early cold weather.

There's a ton of tropical cyclones developing in the Atlantic, and some out in the Pacific making trouble as well, and I've been spending a lot of time the last few days watching them. I am relieved we have nothing to fear from Florence along the TX/LA Gulf Coast and am worried about the folks on the East Coast who are going to get slammed by that storm this week. Hopefully the storms developing behind her won't turn into big monsters as she's expected to by late this week. Most of the time, it is good to have any sort of tropical weather in the Gulf sending plumes of moisture our way, but the next couple of weeks it might be better for all of us if that weather stays away. I am not sure how much more rain some of the wetter parts of OK could handle. Luckily, at this time of the year, most tropical storms stay more towards the Atlantic Coast area though one occasionally sneaks into the Gulf of Mexico. Oh, and the rain we all received that moved from Texas up into OK? That was tropical moisture, which explains why it poured down so hard in some areas, and we were lucky to have it, other than the massive flooding it caused in some places.

Yesterday while we were out shopping in the DFW metro area with our two granddaughters, flash flooding of a most serious nature was occurring in Fort Worth and parts of Dallas, and high water rescues were ongoing. Sadly, several people didn't make it out of the water alive. There was no high water where we were because we were monitoring the situation and stayed pretty far north since the flooding was in the southern parts of the metro area. We had light rain fall on us everywhere we went though, which is exciting for a three year old who likes to carry an umbrella and splash her way through puddles in parking lots. The rest of us weren't as happy to see the drizzle as she was (grin) but I would have been happy if that rain were falling here at the house. It is gray and cloudy here early on Sunday morning but the sun is expected to come out eventually and the girls are hoping for one last afternoon spent in the pool before cooler autumn weather effective ends the splashing/swimming season. I think Tim is hoping to mow today but I think we'll stay too wet and I'll end up mowing later in the week instead.

Y'all have a good day and a good week. I feel like this lovely September weather is our reward for hanging in there and surviving summer's dreadful heat! Nothing is better than a beautiful September and October after a tough June, July and August!

Dawn

Comments (27)