SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roman_northcut

Empty dining room in historic home needs help!

Roman Northcut
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I wiped my dining room clean and want an all new look and feel. I'm open to anything. I'm a single 40 yr old single man and want it to be inviting for my future potential wifey. I would like to furnish the entire room. I like clean transitional styling. Please help. Thank you in advance!

Comments (51)

• Roman Northcut
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is a great question. By the way, the room is 17x15. I dont necessarily need a formal dining room. I had considered a reading or sitting room in addition to a dining area within the room. What options would you recommend?

• jck910
    5 years ago

Is that door next tot the windows your main entry door?

Roman Northcut thanked jck910
  • Related Discussions

Empty Living Room in Historic Home Needs Help!

Q

Comments (3)
    Roman if you keep posting that you are open to anything, flexible, happy to receive feedback and quickly take action based on that feedback you may just end up with wifey from this site!
    ...See More

Help me finish off my floating home! Empty corners need some inspo!

Q

Comments (1)
    Here's a few additional pics of the space to give you a better feel for it as a whole!
    ...See More

New French Country Shabby Chic room! Help: BIG EMPTY WALL IN DINING!

Q

Comments (59)
    Thanks everyone for input. The mirror over sofa was hung on existing hook, if I was keeping it I would move it down some but I still feel its not a good size for that space. Theresa, I love the idea of adding a wreath to soften a mirror if I put one above sofa! The picture of my son is actually a digital painting if seen up close. I'm just worried about adding another piece of art to the room right across from it? Allison, the tree in entryway is holding spot for a lamp. I like the tree but it barely gives off any light. Its pretty tho! I have been along for a tray to put everything together but I don't know what to look for, silver? I have enough gold I think lol. Throwing out an idea, what about a mantel on the empty dining wall that is only 5 inches in depth so it doesn't take up walking space but I can add some candles, etc on top shelf?
    ...See More

Please help with empty, large, living room in my new home!

Q

Comments (43)
    Thank you, Mae. I'm definitely trying to enjoy this time, I know how fast it goes. The kids are just REALLY missing our old house. It's only 5 minutes away, but the house itself they are missing. My 4 year old asked the other week "when can we go back home?" my 8 year old can't talk about the old house without tearing up and my 11 year old who used to share a bedroom, is now scared to go to bed and says her room terrifies her at night. I know a big part of the home sickness is the new house doesn't have a homey feel yet. I have been buying soooo much stuff but I couldn't even tell you what. A book I bought for one of my open shelf areas🙄 said exactly what drdeb said. So I have definitely slowed down and decided to do one room at a time. I am just rushing a bit for the kids sake... maybe mine too. I think for the empty wall area I'm going to do family pictures. I know it's not what most designers would do, but I think I can display it in a tasteful way, and my family is really the only thing I love enough to hang in such a showcased area. We just now got family pictures with our newest addition so it might be awhile until I get them back, so I'll still keep my eyes open for something that really speaks to me but I'm not holding my breath. Thank you everyone for all the help once I start getting everything in and put together I will post pictures! Now, I think the next room to tackle will be my daughter's "terrifying bedroom." 😩
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Is that fireplace actually functional it would make me crazy in that position. I think a dining room is a good idea if you entertain a lot . Is the door to the outside? It looks off to me with the window placement and that fireplace . Is this some how a renovated space or an add on.. Maybe post a floor plan of the whole level.

Roman Northcut thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • H. Xavi
    5 years ago

Hi Roman Northcut,

I admire your courageous move. It takes time and great patience to achieve the envisaged outcome, but once achieved you will never regret it! After a bit of research here are some photos to give you a few starters of what you may consider before remodelling this room...

Hope these snips gave you some inspiration. Like they say, pictures give us a thousand words and interpretations. The true skill is to combine all these different colour palettes to create a masterpiece that reflects your style and personality. So if this is for your wife, use your favourite tones and fabrics. Put a meaning to each piece you purchase, as after all you may have to describe to your wife why was that particular piece so interesting and enticing to your eye.

Good luck and have fun!

Roman Northcut thanked H. Xavi
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

" want it to be inviting for my future potential wifey. " So are you putting a ring on a finger very soon? If so, let her decorate it. If there is no wifey to be in the picture in the foreseeable future then let's decorate it for you. Do you have another area for dining or is this the only space for a table? If so, how many people do you want to seat?

Roman Northcut thanked tedbixby
  • latifolia
    5 years ago

Love a formal dining room. However, unless you want to buy furniture twice, suggest focusing on finding the wife and let her decorate. Or as my husband told his friend, “Every piece of furniture here has an expiration date on it, you just can’t see it.”’.

You have a beautiful home, and I’m sure there is a beautiful wife to grace it in your future.

Roman Northcut thanked latifolia
  • havingfun
    5 years ago

roman, i believe what we originally discussed would be best for you. stay inexpensive with the table and chairs, then later, chosen wife can change to dining room if she chooses. the room is a lovely size,, a library/dining room would be great for you now. Let me show you a few of those.

Daniel Island Residence · More Info

North Peak · More Info

Picton Pde · More Info

place a lounger in another corner, you might never leave except when cooking. your room should have no problem handling the multiple function. not enough books start your art collection on another wall. what do you think?

Roman Northcut thanked havingfun
  • Roman Northcut
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for all of the questions and ideas! To further hone this down, the door in the picture is a side door that is never used. This is the only area for a dining table. The fireplace is functional, but there is also a fireplace on the opposite side of the wall which is the family/living room. Some of the suggestions were living room related and I'll be making a second post related to that :) . For this room, it will be a dining/alternative use room. Although price isn't much of a concern, I may not be in the house for a very long time, but I do want to make it enjoyable. No wifey in the picture yet, just time in my life to move towards the next stage. I think having fun is moving towards what I am looking for. Somewhat casual, but still attractive with dining area with possible seating area/lounger as well. Love the idea so far and would love a few more so I can put the whole picture together!

• PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    5 years ago

Looks like a fantastic home! Since the room is not symmetrical, consider lining up the french doors and the double windows with the dining table. You can visually cheat with the alignment so that your traffic pattern to the kitchen is not obstructed. I, myself, would love a 60" sofa in front of the fireplace with an ottoman (and maybe a small table next to the ottoman). The rug indicated is a 9 x 12.

Will look around for styling, but a beautiful vintage wood dining table is a good start.

Roman Northcut thanked Atelier Marchand
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

This isn't the ideal photo but will give you an idea. I'm thinking you could do a banquette in the corner which will open the area for other seating as you wouldn't have to allow so much room behind each dining chair for a walkway.

San Carlos | 2016 · More Info

• beesneeds
    5 years ago

I think you should skip the notion of decorating or not for a potential future spouse entirely... after all what happens if you meet your future spouse and she owns a house that is the better option for you two to live in and you end up needing to sell your house? Or are you working on the assumption that whomever you meet won't be a home owner like you, or the assumption that she would have to or be willing to give up her home to move into yours?

Decorate for you, what makes you comfortable. It will make you happier to live there than if you decorated for someone you haven't met yet... and whomever she is will get a better idea of what your style for you is.

And for your style... do you tend to eat alone, or with one other person? Like to host get togethers of several people on a regular basis? Want to be able to host family holidays sometimes or maybe every time? Tend to eat in the kitchen or in front of the TV, but want a table for hosting game nights with your friends or need the space for working? What do you need for the room?

Roman Northcut thanked beesneeds
  • Roman Northcut
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you again for all the ideas, Denise, I think you are hitting the nail on the head. Thank you for the drawing! It really helps me see the vision! Looking forward to your suggestions!

Thank you again for all the ideas, Denise, I think you are hitting the nail on the head. Thank you for the drawing! It really helps me see the vision! Do you suggest

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

Roman- when you go to look at furniture, before you purchase any, get all the measurements and take those measurements home and either draw it out to scale on graph paper or blue tape it all out on the flooring to make sure it will fit and that there is plenty of room to walk around it. Furniture always looks small in the store and furniture always looks like it fits on paper unless drawn to scale.

• PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    5 years ago

Not sure what your style preference is, but here are some ideas. My suggestion is nothing too precious. Pair a wood dining table, after you choose dining chairs that you like. This will determine the rest of the space.

• PRO
    Nicola Interiors
    5 years ago

Great space. Since you want it to be a dining area, but also have the fireplace. Here are some suggestions. For the fireplace area you could have two chairs facing it:

Leeward Renovation · More Info

Leeward Renovation - Dining · More Info

Absolute Condo: Dining Room · More Info

Or a small sofa:

High-End Open Concept Interior Design · More Info

High-End Open Concept Interior Design · More Info

Roman Northcut thanked Nicola Interiors
  • Roman Northcut
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Denise and everyone, thank you so much for your amazing advice! I have ordered a table and rug. I have some chairs and a lounger already...I really don't think the chairs and lounger will go well, but I am going to wait and see for sure before I buy new chairs. I'll post pictures here when the table and rug comes in. Now I am looking at art work. Here is the table and rug, please let me know what you think. I can always return if something doesn't work. The chairs I have are white with 2 gray for the ends and the lounger is white also. Also if you have any suggestions regarding artwork, that would be fantastic. Thanks again, I am loving the vision and progress! :)

Table - 6' long selection

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQW6B6V/?coliid=I2LZZ4WQJN31HM&colid=3JSPZ6AEK1ZWZ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Rug - 9x12

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UJGXEMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• latifolia
    5 years ago

How was the weekend? Any progress on the “future potential wifey”? Don’t spend all your time decorating!

Roman Northcut thanked latifolia
  • PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    5 years ago

The table and rug are a find for that price. What legs were you considering for the table? It would be a good idea to post your dining chairs and lounge chair. You seem to be very careful with your selections, so I'm not too worried (haha). Love the reclaimed wood against the formality of the room.

As far as the rug is concerned, great deal for that size and the color is fun and won't be too overwhelming as it will be under the table. The only concern I have is the quality and how long it will last, as poly doesn't lay flat, sometimes buckles. Consider looking on craigslist for a rug. I have great success with high quality rugs for very reasonable prices.

Looking forward to your progress!

• Roman Northcut
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here are the pictures of the rug, chairs, and chaise. Thanks for the compliments, couldn't do it with out you! The rug does have some wrinkles in it. Going to try to flatten them. If no luck, I'll jump on craigslist, that is a GREAT idea! Also, regarding the legs, I went with the straight legs (Option 4), however, they are still making the table and I still have time to change it if it seems there is a better choice.

Lastly, I am thinking about getting the 4' version of this art piece at the end of the table and rug turned sideways. Also considering these shelving units on the wall left of the chaise. Do you think shelves or another Art piece will go best here?

I'm excited, can't thank you enough!!

• Roman Northcut
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Great idea to post what I have and thanks for the compliments! Here are pictures of the new rug and the chairs/chaise that I already have. The rug has some wrinkles as you mentioned, I will try to get them to settle and if not, jump on craigslist. Thats a great tip!

Also, I am considering these options attached:

Art - the 4' version of this piece turned sideways and placed at the end of the table and rug

Shelving on the wall next to the chaise. These are the options. Do you think shelving is better than an art piece?

• beesneeds
    5 years ago

Wait.... you didn't tell us you already had a very attractive cat for decoration!! So the table is really just to display the cat, right?

Because that rug works with the cat beautifully :) Seriously though, it is a really pretty rug, I hope you are able to work the buckles out of it- maybe carpet tape or under rug mat would help?

I rather like the art piece.. but I'm in love with that last shelving unit with the hexagonal structure to it. Do you already have stuff you would want to put on a shelf- or would you have to get decor to decorate the shelf?

Roman Northcut thanked beesneeds
  • PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    5 years ago

Shelving is a great option, however, have it only as high as the fireplace mantle. Keeping a horizontal line going in that area will make it more inviting and cohesive. Will two "honeycomb" shelves side by side fit on that wall? If so, they would look great cantilevered on the wall with space from the bottom to the floor. You will also have the option of hanging art above the shelf. I'm really liking the way this is going!

Another suggestion is by continuing that mantle height, consider painting the wall from the mantle height down in a dark blue to tie in the blue of the dining table rug. Don't go as bright as the blue in the rug, just something in the tone of the color. Nice Barcelona Chair, very classic. Restoration Hardware has the perfect floor lamp to go next to that chair in Polished Nickel. It's a good copy of a 1927 Edouard Buquet lamp (in MOMA).

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1157076&categoryId=cat3900063

• PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    5 years ago

Of course, you will have to get tons of paint samples for the blue to be perfect. Here is a blue I have specified for a recent design project. Dunn Edward "Dive In"

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. Do NOT get that art with that rug.

I suppose it's too late now, but you would have done better to start with an inspiration photo or two rather than going at this in your haphazard bachelor way.

I would not buy another thing until the table arrives and you see what you've got so far.

As for art with that rug, please choose something that won't clash colorwise.

Evening on the Water Wall Art, Canvas Prints, Framed Prints, Wall Peels | Great · More Info

Gallery Direct Fine Art Prints: Impediment To Revelation by Bob Hunt · More Info

Roman Northcut thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    5 years ago

I agree that the art you purchased is not right. Do not try to "match" art with rugs or anything else in a room. Art is personal and basically can go anywhere. Consider sticking with black and white photography or the second piece that groveraxle posted.

• PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    5 years ago

Don't know how you feel about curtains, but consider adding something to the windows. Window treatments are like a frame around art IMHO. Simple black iron rod, install from the ceiling to floor. Here is an ongoing project that just had the treatments installed in a boy's room. (Should have taken the junk off the dresser!) It's an example of adding simple elegance. In this case the upper fabric is a blue cotton pinstripe (like men's shirt fabric) with a heavier solid textured fabric on the bottom.

• PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    5 years ago

Now that I looked at it drawn in, you may prefer one shelving unit centered in that space, but here is what it would look like with two units, and blue painted from the mantle height down.

• PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    5 years ago

Dining Room Art -

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Just say no to this art:

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Art doesn't have to match, but it should look good in the room with your other selections.

• Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Come on now, wifey material, think jewel colours, cozy, romantic, velvets. Big art. Gorgeous lamps, candles. A couple of chairs by the fire, a small dining table. I'd be impressed. Show her you have fair, not boring lol.
    Roman Northcut thanked Irene Morresey
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Flair, I was meant to say lol
    Roman Northcut thanked Irene Morresey
  • Roman Northcut
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Denise, I think window treatments is a great idea and also thank you for explaining the stand out and personal element of the art. This makes great sense to me and I will look for better options. I really like the black and white idea.

Beesneeds, Thank you also, I will try the tape on the rug if it doesn't settle. Regarding the shelving unit, I like it too. Except books, I would need decor for it.

Groveraxle, thank you as well for the art suggestions, I have an idea of what you are saying and although I don't have much experience in designing, I am going to continue to look. I have to laugh at the haphazard bachelor comment. Especially considering that art (which I had not ordered yet) was actually chosen and preferred by my personal assistant who is female. I also know a number of bachelors, few of which would consider being modest enough to jump on a site like this and open up to take advice regarding decorating. None-the-less, you bring up and excellent point about the art and clearly I can now see your suggestions look much better than the one I originally mentioned.

Irene, I love your suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to post them. Its funny, I have gotten a bit interesting commentary regarding the "wifey" comment. One I actually flagged because it was inappropriate. I mentioned "wifey" because I didn't want the stereotypical "bachelor" look. Being recently out of a relationship with a wonderful woman, I am revamping a few things the way I want them :) and, of course, want ALL of my guests to be comfortable and enjoy their time here. I really appreciate your comment "think jewel colours, cozy, romantic, velvets. Big art. Gorgeous lamps, candles. A couple of chairs by the fire, a small dining table. I'd be impressed. Show her you have flair, not boring". These are great tips as we get into the accessories stage! I really like the 2 chairs idea and am considering that instead of the chaise, however, I am not sure the size of the space will allow for the 2 chairs, I am going to measure this. As a man without designer experience, figuring out how to show flair without it looking like a mess from the 80's is a comical challenge. I am putting my trust in the wonderful experts like you here.

Again, thank you all for helping this haphazard bachelor have a beautiful home :)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Now you still have nothing in an ideabook. With a little tweak in the color palette, how about something like this:

Long Beach Midcentury Modern · More Info

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I think your Barcelona-style chair and ottoman look natural there, as if it were a place for you to enjoy a glass of wine by the fire. So a bar would be natural also, except it seems to crowd the space.

If there is room, I'd try a bar and shelves on the other blank wall, and put a low table next to the chair along with a single big piece of art.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

That is a really difficult blue in your rug.

• Roman Northcut
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Everyone, the table is finally in and we have pictures! What do you guys think? I am totally open. Personally, I think the table may be a touch on the small side. Would love to get your feedback on anything. Chairs, table, rug, extras, etc.

• Roman Northcut
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What do you think of this art for on the wall at the end of the table and also bar cart for next to fire place (with some floating wooden shelves above it, like picture a couple comments above):

• PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    5 years ago

I agree that the table looks too small. With that being said, you have noting else in the room to anchor it, like a serving cabinet under the art and window treatments. The color of the rug is a little bright for my taste, but, it's not offensive and I suppose I am just used to subtle and dull color combinations. Anything you do from now on should be low-key and let the rug be the star. Don't try to "match" the art with the blue in the rug, as then it will look too much. Stick with large black and white art or better yet, black and white photography. I really like you chair selections. Looks like a good start to me.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I'm sorry, but I think the rug is just wrong. I would replace it with something more neutral and smaller so the table doesn't seem so small. I'd put a sideboard on the longest wall with shelves above for bar stuff if you'd use it, and skip the bar cart, and then a single large piece of art by the fireplace.

• judymn
    5 years ago

I agree with grover about the rug. Post links here before you buy so these helpful folks can advise you.

• Roman Northcut
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, I am looking for some alternative rug selections now. Are there any that you would recommend?

Groveraxle, I like the idea of the sideboard against the wall at the end of the table and artwork for next to the chair. I am looking for options for both of these now.

Denise, the picture in the previous post with the clock overlooking the city is the black and white picture I was considering at the end of the table. You mentioned black and white photography, what do you think of this one?

Thanks!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Roman, if you're keeping the lounge chair by the fireplace, a square or vertical canvas would fit the wall better.

• PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    5 years ago

I like the clock and a buffet underneath for the dining room and black and white art at the fireplace. Barcarts #2 or #3 look good. Personally I like #2. Not the brass one as it's not within keeping with the design you have going.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago

Wait until you find “wifey” to make any important decisions. Her taste should be acknowledged and included in your home.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

• PRO
    Atelier Marchand
    5 years ago

I took a look on Wayfair Closeout rugs and if you spend a little more you can score a much better rug.. These are all available in 9x12 and IMHO would work beautifully. Also keep in mind that a rug under a dining table takes abuse with the crumbs and chairs so it's better to consider something better in quality.

I know the first one is dark, but with a black clock on the wall and the industrial barcart, it would look very smart. My personal favorite is the 4th one. The last one looks as though it may look better in a traditional home if you want colorful and classic. All good.

https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/the-conestoga-trading-co-hand-tufted-blue-area-rug-cntc4236.html?piid=16370097

https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/wrought-studio-kari-deco-browngray-area-rug-wrsd1454.html?piid=30918717

https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/wrought-studio-kari-deco-bluegray-area-rug-wrsd1453.html

https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/red-barrel-studio-hogan-hand-tufted-wool-graygreen-area-rug-rbrs7553.html?piid=22588486

^ ^ ^ ^ This one is a very good deal

https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/meridian-rugmakers-san-juan-hand-tufted-light-blue-area-rug-mrdn2018.html