SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Book by its' cover.

palimpsest
5 years ago

I read a short article about a small but growing trend where homeowners are doing high quality renovations to the interior of the house but leaving the exterior well enough alone.

Proponents of this feel that if the exterior isn't broke, don't fix it, or that living on the interior is what's important. To some extent there is a certain amount of privacy to this practice: you aren't showing your discretionary income to your neighbors or strangers.

I think this can make sense in an urban area, particularly one that's in transition. I've been in some extreme examples of this, including a loft that looked like it was used for storage from the exterior and still had barricaded windows on the first floor front. The inside was incredible. The only change I have made to the exterior of my house is that it looks cleaner and less run-down. There are plans in the works to improve the exterior at some point, but this sort of thing has made me think that maybe the exterior should not really reflect what's going on inside. (Again this is an urban core area).

However, it seems that this mentality is also infiltrating the suburbs, where people make major changes to the inside while the outside remains a generic 50 year old tract house.

The opponents of this point out that the lack of curb appeal is a detriment, particularly if the house is to be sold, because you may have trouble getting people inside.

I'm not sure. With the way that a lot of people shop for a new house, most people are not seeing that outside first, or at least not in the absence of a bunch of interior photos and online descriptions. Again, because I live in an urban area, the exterior photo or photos are rarely featured, What is featured is often the primary living space or a newly remodeled kitchen, and the exterior photos are down the sequence a bit. Local real estate still features the exterior of suburban houses more prominently in listings but we have seen over and over that the exterior impression often predominates in the suburbs, sometimes to the expense of the interior (to the extent of the house being half furnished).

Comments (68)