SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alessa4

Kitchen and Master Bathroom Swap - Design Help

alessa4
5 years ago

I recently purchased a home and I have a "wild" idea to swap locations of the current 1st floor bathroom with the kitchen. 1920's cottage with high tongue and grove celings, pine floors, clawfoot tub upstairs, etc. - all very charming characteristics, but I am struggling with this galley kitchen. I had an idea to swap where the current kitchen and bathroom are - thinking I could maximize use of the hallway square fottage and get that open concept living room/kitchen that I have come to love in my current home.

Posting here to determine how wild of an idea this actually is. Before I focus on getting contractor bids, I want to see if any design pros have advise as to layout. I'd love to get some better closet space for the new master suite. I do still want to leave the entrance to the new master bath from the sunroom/dining room so that guests have bathroom access without having to go upstairs or through the master. I also want to point out that the wall between the sunroom/dining room and the bathroom/kitchen is an old exterior wall - so probably not cost affective to remove and open up the three spaces. Maybe though!

See attached dollhouse and floorplan view of the first floor. I also tried to put on grid to give a better idea of size. 1 squart is roughly 1 sqft.

Would love a large island. I already have purchased stainless slide in gas range, counterdepth french door fridge and dishwasher. Worst case I put them in current galley kitchen for a facelift.

Any ideas / thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Comments (16)